Game Day Round 1 v Gold Coast, It's The Hope That Is Great!

Where will West Coast finish this year?

• 1st

• 2nd

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, before I begin, I'd just like to say that I've recently woken from a 5 month coma and haven't been able to check the news since I've woken up, but Im sure you won't even notice.

Round 1 Preview v Gold Coast​

Ah round 1, the time of year where hope springs eternal and every fan is high on optimism for what could lie ahead, where even if you're scheduled a s**t time slot against Gold Coast you know there'll still be close to 60,000 screaming Eagles fans at Optus to help cheer the boys on.

Key Match Ups:​

Oscar Allen v Ben King

After receiving the three votes in the corresponding fixture last year, the Medium 'O' will be keen to once again start the season with a bang. Whilst Kennedy and Darling have once again completed their pre season with the professional, no fuss attitude we've come to expect, both are reaching the twilight of their careers and with Allen turning 23 the day before this match, this game should mark the beginning of Oscar being the main man in the Eagles forward line.

Meanwhile at other end of the ground, my favourite non West Coast player will look to begin his season with a bang. Despite only turning 21 half way through last season, King managed to take the leap and kick 47 goals, and if he can continue improving the sky is the limit for this rising Sun in 2022.

Midfield v Midfield​

The midfield is where the game is normally won or lost, and the inside battle of this game will be fascinating.

On one side, you have the experienced Dom Sheed, Elliot Yeo and Tim Kelly. Their 3 AA blazers, 2 premierships and 2 best and fairests gives the Eagles midfield invaluable, irreplacable experience, which will be needed against a strong up and coming midfield, led by the Suns' new co-captain Touk Miller.

Normally playing for the Suns has all the fame and fortune of a career in the Sheffield Shield, but unlike Travis Dean, Caleb Jewell or Scott Boland, Miller managed to make a name for himself last year, winning his first B&F and AA blazer.

Other Players To Watch:​

Campbell Chesser​

- Whilst expectations are high at the Eagles to rise back up the ladder and challenge again, the aging list profile means the club will need to have one eye on the future and Chesser is central to that. With his eagerness to get across to WA over the pre season and glowing training reports once here, expect this exciting youngster to appear early and often in 2022 and alongside Luke Edwards, Zane Trew and Xavier O'Neill, provide a glimpse of the future for Eagles fans.

Izak Rankine​

- It was a step back in 2021 for the talented small forward, but after a big pre season he'll be desperate to add to his incredible highlight reel and the Eagles will certainly want one of their experienced small defenders in Sheppard, Duggan or Cole minding Rankine, as he may be too much for an inexperienced defender to handle.

Possible 22(23):​

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Cole
Gaff Shuey Chesser
Cripps Darling Allen
Rioli Kennedy Ryan
Naitanui Kelly Yeo

Sheed Trew Clark LEdwards (Joyce)

My tip:​

Eagles by 87

I think the suns will press hard but our young up and comers like Hurn, Kennedy and McGovern will over run them in the fourth. We’ll probably start to see that typical eagles hunger in the fourth quarter where we start to run over our opposition and put the foot to the throat getting a nice percentage boost too.

If GC can't get the job done this week then they deserve to fold and pay back the league the hundreds of millions of dollars that has been wasted on their existence.

Eagles by 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Con: Another key player confirmed to miss this game in Tim Kelly

Pro: I got on the Gold Coast at $2.43

I wonder what happens if we literally can’t field a team……..TK was always a likelihood to contract COVID - shame it wasn’t before yesterday though……might have just scraped in the 7day rule….can we do a wager on how many more before Sunday 🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wonder what happens if we literally can’t field a team……..TK was always a likelihood to contract COVID - shame it wasn’t before yesterday though……might have just scraped in the 7day rule….can we do a wager on how many more before Sunday 🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Should've got his missus to do a RAT on the weekend, claim it as his and get cleared by Sunday.

Gotta love the anti vacc nuffies claiming Tim Kelly proves being double jabbed does nothing…

All it proves is that living with unvaccinated people increases your chances of getting COVID.

Gotta love the anti vacc nuffies claiming Tim Kelly proves being double jabbed does nothing…

All it proves is that living with unvaccinated people increases your chances of getting COVID.

Being Unvaxxed and Vaxxed both pretty much do nothing with the Omicron strain (I think latest advice was the double Vax gives you 4% more protection).
The booster is where it's at and then efficacy is gone after 2 or 3 months, with result supposed to be a reduced immune system.

So in terms of our players getting or not getting Covid and being able to play double jabbed isnt going to do diddly squat - especially if you consider how many parents of young kids we have in our squad.
If the families and partners aren't boosted then it's going to sweep through regardlees (and high chance it still will even if they are boosted)

So it truly is a bit of a disadvantage to us that our Omicron wave hasnt swept through already in WA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back