Review Round 10, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardiner deserves a week off for those two punches on the siren.
You guys should make finals next year if things keep progressing. McLuggage looks good and we'd probably win the premiership if we had Robbo in our mids.
I'm surprised given the conditions you didn't swap that long armed giant McInerny for a small - probably cost you a very good run at it I reckon. There wasn't a lot in it and it was hardly the weather for his type.

I think we lost the game because we were intent on spoiling everything. There were many times were we could have marked but spoiled instead.
Not sure I agree that we would have won the game, though I agree we went OTT with spoiling to the detriment of marking on occasions.

Someone on here did mention it was coaches orders, so if that is the case, then you can't question the players, although surely there is a judgement call by the players.

Umpires were so inconsistent. 19 secs left in first quarter and it was a Gardiner free and swan player returns the ball to BUDDY! No consistency with Berry decision!!!
Also, first quarter Harris got pinged for dubious htb which led to a goal whilst Sydney got away with worse all 2nd and third quarters! In an 18 point loss umpires can actually be the difference.

Maybe just Cameron. More tackles and pressure acts tonight.
Cameron is usually the best at it. He had an off night tonight. It happens.

I thought mcstay was ok tonight. But defensive pressure is not usually his best trait.
Still think he's worth persevering with but he needs to start converting. His misses are from such easy shots it really kills momentum to keep missing.

Really like rayners tackling. So strong for 1st year player. even laid a decent one on buddy,He broke it in the end but had a bit of speed up & doesn't get caught too often.

Bailey's been a bit disappointing lately. I'd say due for a spell in the 2s. But if berry is out maybe he holds his place.

Cameron is usually the best at it. He had an off night tonight. It happens.

I thought mcstay was ok tonight. But defensive pressure is not usually his best trait.
Still think he's worth persevering with but he needs to start converting. His misses are from such easy shots it really kills momentum to keep missing.

Really like rayners tackling. So strong for 1st year player. even laid a decent one on buddy,He broke it in the end but had a bit of speed up & doesn't get caught too often.

Bailey's been a bit disappointing lately. I'd say due for a spell in the 2s. But if berry is out maybe he holds his place.

Cameron’s defensive pressure has been poor this season. He’s had one game with more than 3 tackles after having averaged over 4 for the past 2 seasons. Bailey and Rayner have been better defensively.

Gardiner deserves a week off for those two punches on the siren.
You guys should make finals next year if things keep progressing. McLuggage looks good and we'd probably win the premiership if we had Robbo in our mids.
I'm surprised given the conditions you didn't swap that long armed giant McInerny for a small - probably cost you a very good run at it I reckon. There wasn't a lot in it and it was hardly the weather for his type.

Did you just want to comment on the Gardiner incident, then mask your intent with a couple of lines of review? Thats what it looks like.

Cameron’s defensive pressure has been poor this season. He’s had one game with more than 3 tackles after having averaged over 4 for the past 2 seasons. Bailey and Rayner have been better defensively.
Jeez man did he cut your lunch are you watching the same games

Umpires were so inconsistent. 19 secs left in first quarter and it was a Gardiner free and swan player returns the ball to BUDDY! No consistency with Berry decision!!!

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here more. This is the moment when my vocal chords became totally shredded :mad::mad::mad:

Thought we were pretty good. Had more scoring shots, just lacked the polish. The last kick going into our 50 hurt us, as did our forwards inability to impact the contest when it went inside. I though Hipwood at least competed pretty well, but that’s about it.
Gardiner played his best game for the club. He was outstanding and is putting together a nice season. Him and Andrews are forming a good duo down there.

Serious question. What has to be done to put pressure on the AFL to stop allowing players when tackled to just drop the ball with it then called play on. 3 teams that have perfected it , Swans, Hawks & Cats. It will only get worse until they stop allowing it. We tackled like demons and were not rewarded anywhere near enough for our efforts. Really obvious at the game live.

Serious question. What has to be done to put pressure on the AFL to stop allowing players when tackled to just drop the ball with it then called play on. 3 teams that have perfected it , Swans, Hawks & Cats. It will only get worse until they stop allowing it. We tackled like demons and were not rewarded anywhere near enough for our efforts. Really obvious at the game live.
Bravo! This has been my biggest gripe with the interpretation of the rules for years.
INFURIATING.

Bravo! This has been my biggest gripe with the interpretation of the rules for years.
INFURIATING.

Yet Harris Andrews gets pinged with no prior, barely taking possesion and it bubmbling out of his hand the moment he is tackled, which results in a goal.

We got plenty of soft frees, but HTB last night was infurating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Harris Andrews gets pinged with no prior, barely taking possesion and it bubmbling out of his hand the moment he is tackled, which results in a goal.

We got plenty of soft frees, but HTB last night was infurating.
Yep, my son and I were still whinging about that Harris HTB on the walk home.

Also, first quarter Harris got pinged for dubious htb which led to a goal whilst Sydney got away with worse all 2nd and third quarters! In an 18 point loss umpires can actually be the difference.

Just went and saw this, what a joke. Let alone buddy then holds it arguing again for a few seconds taking away precious seconds. We did well with the umps but as always, murdered with iffy calls that resulted in goals.

Serious question. What has to be done to put pressure on the AFL to stop allowing players when tackled to just drop the ball with it then called play on.

It’s up to the umpires.
15.2.3 Holding the Football – Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity
(a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:
(i) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player
if the Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Correctly Tackled;
(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that
Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose
of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity
to do so

Looks pretty clear cut, but some teams have become expert in exploiting the following get-out clauses.
15.2.4 Application – Specific Instances where Play shall Continue
For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:
(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player’s hands;
(b) a Player’s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose
possession of the football;
(c) a Player’s arms are pinned to their side by an opponent which causes the Player to drop the football, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply;
(d) a Player, whilst in the act of Correctly Disposing of the football, is swung off-balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply; or
(e) a Player is pulled or swung by one arm which causes the football to fall from the Player’s hands, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply.

The free kick count never reflects the story which annoys me. It’s the incorrect ones that get called that end up in goals that seem to cost us. Most of the frees we got and it’s the case most weeks, were infringements in the ruck to Stef.

We got about 8 frees outside of steph that would have enraged me as an opposition supporter. Even that little shove to berry for first goal was minimal and could have been let go. Dizz v buddy on the wing was rubbish. Beams being held off the ball. Lots of soft frees went to us, a few very damaging ones went the other way too.

Last edited:
Multiple news articles and even the Swans own social media accounts are running a picture of Buddy attempting to fend off Taylor as their lead picture, ignoring the fact that Taylor got him holding the ball in the same passage of play. Fake news.
With a high fend.
It's a constant amusement to me, particularly for the AFL accounts, to post what they think is an exciting image of piece of play, but is actually illegal. They often have a defender making a spoil, saving the day, but look closely and he'll have a handful of jumper. Or a play where "quick hands" enable a goal, but watch it and there was a throw. A great "don't argue" but to the wannabe tackler's head. They haven't a clue what they're promoting.

We got about 8 frees outside of steph that would have enraged me as an opposition supporter. Even that little shove yo berry for first goal was minimal and could have been let go. Dizz v buddy on the wing was rubbish. Beams being held off the ball. Lots of soft frees went to us, a few very damaging ones went the other way too.
Well pointed out lioninthesand, it's fascinating to me (in all areas of life) how human perception works, at the game I was thinking gee we are getting an absolute bath in the penalty count, then you get home and check the stats and it turns out we won the penalty count. Now I understand why the Swans fans around us were screaming at the umps as well.

Confirmation bias. I TRY to ignore umpires, umpiring is a bloody hard gig in our game.

Back