Review Round 10, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll preface this post by saying that I Andrews was terrific again tonight, however, he was a bit too “spoil” happy for mine a lot tonight. Thought he could have marked many times against smaller opponents or when he was in a better position to mark than he realised.
Yeah i agree but to be fair to him it was a wet ball, he will get better with that

McStay has now had 6 games forward for 6 goals 6 behinds. Goalless in the last two games. I thought he was rushed back into the ones without the form to demand a spot and he hasn't delivered to my mind. He needs to improve his kicking and actually kick a bag in the twos. In his fifth season and with 67 games under his belt, it's time for him to start being more than potential. I'd like to see Walker get another go, who has at least kicked a bag of 6 in the twos and is as good a mark as McStay. Walker also has issues kicking them, which is a worry, but I think he deserves another go. If not McStay he could come in for Big O.

Last edited:
Same as most weeks this year we have been close but for some skill errors and missed goals. A lot to like and I am getting more bullish by the week about what sort of side we could become with time.

Was critical of Bundy early on but his second half was excellent. Was disappointed in Rayners game today to be honest, dropped a couple of very easy marks in critical stages of the game. Rich played an underrated game, Harris Andrews will be winning our best and fairest by an absolute street right now.
Christensen has played two halves ,this season.His first half was disgraceful. For someone in the alleged leadership group,he is embarrassing.

McStay has now had 6 games forward for 6 goal 6 behinds. Goalless in the last two games. I thought he was rushed back into the ones with out the form to demand a spot and he hasn't delivered to my mind. He needs to improve his kicking and actually kick a bag in the twos. In his fifth season and with 67 games under his belt, it's time for him to start being more than potential. I'd like to see Walker get another go, who has at least kicked a bag of 6 in the twos and is as good a mark as McStay. Walker also has issues kicking them, which is a worry, but I think he deserves another go. If not McStay he could come in for Big O.

Do you really see any point in replacing McStay with Walker?

Mayes timidity, to be polite,is unacceptable

Yeah if its to replace Robertson I dont think we lose any hardness at the contest or tackling really, mayes and him are on par and mayes kicking is far superior, so id prefer to see him back in the side, all things considered.

Bailey and Rich outs for next week (and possibly Berry with a hammy). Bailey just not having an impact yet but he will be fine, bring in Keays to play that role. Rich too often shirks the contest and in my opinion doesn't bring enough each week for a senior player.
It's probably not a popular opinion here, but I'd bring in Bastinac for Bailey, before Keays. He can go into the midfield rotation and can kick a goal as he demonstrated last year. Lester also first in line, if Berry is injured. Time to reward form rather than potential and get more wins.

As to defenders for Eagles, I think Dawson or Allison are the ones in the twos who have done most to stake a claim. I'd like to see Dawson get another chance, he was very solid on Rose today. Mayes hasn't impressed and was playing forward today.

Last edited:
If you cant acknowledge Gardiner in your top 3 you were obviously watching from under a bar outback.

I don't post a lot around here but I've been consistently praising Gardiner all season, thanks (and even praised him in my post). I thought Andrews pipped him as the best defender as he was working really hard to be a leader in defence and direct traffic, which is exactly what we need given that he's now the VC and Hodge won't be around forever. I imagine stupidly taking a swing at Hayward with six seconds to go also soured his performance for a lot of people, especially since we need him around to replicate that performance against Brown and Waite next week.

On a separate note, would love to see MRobbo make the team of the week this week. I know it's a bit of media fluff, but the stats he put up were elite and he always works incredibly hard with no recognition outside of Lions supporters.

Last edited:
Do you really see any point in replacing McStay with Walker?
Yeah, I think Walker has as much potential as McStay to ultimately make it, and is only a couple of years older: 25 to McStay 23 next month. Neither seems much good at converting, like Casboult used to be for Carlton. He's turned it around, so either of them could. As marking targets they strike me as about equal, with Walker probably offering more at ground level and in the ruck.

Wet slippery conditions at the game, lots of light rain the instructions were clearly to spoil everything and not try to out mark Buddy. Gardiner was just brilliant and backed himself to leave his man a few times. Harris was great, Beams without the captaincy was terrific a well fought out match. The umpiring was terrible, just bloody baffling at time and they hammered us. every bad decision seemed to be against us and there were lots of them. McStay - why? why do they persist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how people perceive things differently. I thought McStay presented really well early, 3-4 times he led well up a wing but couldn't juggle the mark. Then he took a few marks, had a few shots, gave a few off. I thought given the conditions he was ok. He is only 6 games into his time as a full time forward, he needs time.

Wasn't a great game, but I'm not disappointed. If we kicked straight and took some marks the scores could of been the other way.

A 3 goal lost to a perennial contender and we keep going and going right to end.

Keep at it boys. Your best is great, just need to keep working on the mistakes.

McStay also offers more defensive pressure than Cameron and Rayner combined.

Not a lot of love for McCluggage tonight - at the game I thought he was pretty pivotal in a lot of moments.

Also definitely saw this as one of Nick Robertson's better games for the season ... perhaps on TV some of the things he does just go unseen. His running and positioning is pretty decent and a number of times he chased the ball the full length the field backwards and got it back again.

Don't think he's going to be omitted any time soon.

Not a lot of love for McCluggage tonight - at the game I thought he was pretty pivotal in a lot of moments.

Very Smart player. Mops up a lot of our bad errors. He has now progressed past the stage where he panics in tight and has built that awareness. I don't think he has even chalked up 30 games yet :rocket:

Also definitely saw this as one of Nick Robertson's better games for the season ... perhaps on TV some of the things he does just go unseen. His running and positioning is pretty decent and a number of times he chased the ball the full length the field backwards and got it back again.

Don't think he's going to be omitted any time soon.

Yup, another vey nice contribution from Clugga, he's having a fantastic year.

Back