Review Round 10, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Same as most weeks this year we have been close but for some skill errors and missed goals. A lot to like and I am getting more bullish by the week about what sort of side we could become with time.

Was critical of Bundy early on but his second half was excellent. Was disappointed in Rayners game today to be honest, dropped a couple of very easy marks in critical stages of the game. Rich played an underrated game, Harris Andrews will be winning our best and fairest by an absolute street right now.

Worst rule in the AFL, however, it doesent matter if the opposition reaches out or gestures for the ball, its the oppositions responsibility to stop and return it to the correct player. I remember Hodge always calling for it at the Hawks amogst confusion and sucking opoosition in, crap rule.
The player took the ball from him...

Cut the mods some slack. They have potential.

Sometimes they don't always turn up but I guess they'll get more consistent with a bit of experience. And if not we can always pick up some better ones in the next draft.

Throws, stoppages, throws and stoppages.

What a dour display.

Expecting Fagan to have a coffee with Gil tomorrow and get a memo about 'dour, anti-fan football' getting banned.

No idea where you got this from?

Robertson just doesent tackle and impact the play enough. He constantly fumbles and gets caught. His opponent is always their most dangerous forward. He turns it over a lot. He makes poor choices defensivley. He hasnt played well since returning from suspension. He is the only player out there that I dont think is at the grade or will make the grade.

Yes, he has ok moments, yes he can be serviceable, he did some ok things tonight, just dont see much more worthwhile improvement in him.

Also.. he is never tough in play like Mitch Robbo, actually dodges contests a lot, or gets stepped around, yet so tough once a mallee starts. His toughness is dramatically overstated.

Harris Andrew broke the record for spoils tonight 23 for the big man ALL AUS and Darcy Gardiner 7 one on ones only lost 1
I’ll preface this post by saying that I Andrews was terrific again tonight, however, he was a bit too “spoil” happy for mine a lot tonight. Thought he could have marked many times against smaller opponents or when he was in a better position to mark than he realised.

Thought Robertson was good, myself. He covers a heap of ground which is important given our defensive group aren’t the most mobile.

He is polerising, ive tried really hard to wear my rose coloured glasses with him, just dont see it. So many iffy moments and mistakes.

Goddamn you Paul Roos, you were right, we are an almost team and that sucks balls (sorry to all the ladies). It was evident that we have the effort and the structure but we just break down in some areas/personal. Mitch Robinson you are my Quan, I would have loved to play footy with that man on my side. Gardiner, Buddy is your *****.

He is polerising, ive tried really hard to wear my rose coloured glasses with him, just dont see it. So many iffy moments and mistakes.
I’m not his biggest fan at all. I just thought he was good tonight. Hard work gets you a long way in life and he works as hard as anyone on the field.

I’m not his biggest fan at all. I just thought he was good tonight. Hard work gets you a long way in life and he works as hard as anyone on the field.

Yeah I just have an 'oh no' moment when ever he is one on one or gets the ball, probably too fixated on doubting his ability to notice his workrate. Just thought he was fumbly and costly more times that not tonight. lacks major class. Anyway, thats enough of me pointing out one player, more positives that negatives to discuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anbother brave and gutsy effort but unfortunately no cigar (again)

M Robbo played a ripper and Beams was excellent.

Gardner clearly outplayed Buddy and it was a total farce in the last quarter when the ump had to manufacture a free to try to get him into the game.

There won't be much love for Hippy I imagine, but I thought he presented well all night and tried his guts out for no reward.The conditions just didn't suit him. A number of times he used his pace to put space between him and his opponent only for the delivery to be off and/or the pill bouunce off his chest/hands.

The umpiring was a disgrace. They pulled rubbish frees from nowhere all night but completely ignored blatant infringements which should have been penalised. We tackled out guts out all night for little reward in the HTB department. Then there was the 75 meter 50m penalty to Jack which basically iced the games for the Swans, turning what would have been a long range shot almost into a soda.

Just got to keep the effort up boys and the wins will come,

I'm off to Melbourne next weekend for a dedicated footy junket so I'm looking forward to a big performance against the Kangas at Ethiad.

GO LIONS!!!

Last edited:
Played so well, frustrating that we couldn't pit on any scoreboard pressure. Always chasing the game, but at no stage did they drop heads or give up.

The umpiring was so frustrating. Swans are upset cos they lost the count but at least 6 ruck frees where Martin dominated so was about even. We had 22 more tackles where they never rewarded the tackle all night (unless you were buddy) which is what frustrated our fans. Plus swans got a lot of frees in their attacking half which directly led to a few goals.

We won clearances by 12 which is good vs swans.

Their defence was just better & cleaner with the ball.

Mcstay is still developing as a forward. He hasn't played a lot of games there. Gardner is finally rightly playing as a tall.forward So we dont need mcstay down back. Still when you're such an average kick for goal stop turningbyour back on the goals every time you Mark it.

Would've beaten a lot of teams tonight. Hopefully we keep the form consistent for rest of year.

Might be at least 3 changes for next week though. Gardner might be in trouble

Mitch Robinson really is a much underrated player. He will never be fashionable and is pigeon-holed by commentators as a bruising tackler (which he is) but he gets to so many contests and covers territory all game that makes such a difference for us, just willing himself over and over to stay involved.

He sets the standard for us in many ways.

I’ll preface this post by saying that I Andrews was terrific again tonight, however, he was a bit too “spoil” happy for mine a lot tonight. Thought he could have marked many times against smaller opponents or when he was in a better position to mark than he realised.
I watched our defender group closely in the warm ups and there was a clear direction for us to spoil and not mark. They spent most of warm up doing spoils and when Martin went to mark in first quarter Andrews told him to spoil.

Went with Beams, Martin, Andrews, Taylor and Robinson, but I don't think anyone had a particularly bad game. Gardiner was excellent to outmark Buddy on a number of occasions, which makes his brain fade at the end all the more unacceptable. I also liked that Christensen, Cutler, Bailey and Cameron all stepped up in the last quarter after average games in the first half - a huge change from last year where everyone used to hang their heads and the Swans would have run away to win by 30+.

Next week I think it should be Mayes in for Eagles and Keays in for Berry (depending on how bad his hammy is). I think Rayner and Bailey will need a rest soon too (though we may hold out til right before the bye), but no one is really stepping up in the NEAFL so I'm happy to leave the rest of the team unchanged.
If you cant acknowledge Gardiner in your top 3 you were obviously watching from under a bar outback.

Frustration is the word for it. But a hell of a massive improvement on previous losses to Swans (bar 2016).
I would like to see us mark more in defence. The wet weather maybe affected directions tonight but Andrews and Eagles are such strong marks.
We couldn't win a ground ball in the forward line to save ourselves. Really need to work on improving crumbing and forward pressure, so we actually lay tackles when they're trying to bring it out.

MRobbo, Beams, Martin, Cutler, Gardiner

Cutler taking the game on a bit more. Like it.

Gardiner massive. Has proved me wrong this year.

Love it that we stand up for ourselves and for one another this year too.
You ,like many others are ignorant of Gardiner's first season.He has been battling injury since.

Pretty happy really. Just same old story from this season - arguably had more of it but just lacked polish. Vastly improved team and no huge drop off from last week. They are a good football team and we took it right up to them.

They did their homework and sat back (with numbers back at all costs) and let us kick it to them over and over for their reload and run - not sure how Clako missed that memo. We really panic when we get to kicking it inside 50 and have no system.. would pay to lower the eyes a little.

The hate and venom for Bundy and Lewey from some must be personal, both top 12 players and did pretty well.

Robertson does my head in, put games into Mayes.

Cameron entitled to his first bad game of the year, he will bounce back.

We looked tired, backing up off those late Sunday games not ideal.

No one was really great, no one was really bad.

There was a 10 minute patch in the last that was supremely frustrating, dropped marks, spilled gathers, missed kicks inside 50.. it needed benny hill music at times.

Overall another notch on the 'respectable effort belt' and our opponent leaves Brisbane respecting us, that will do for now.

Love this club, love this team, love this journey (even if it tests the ticker from time to time)

Umpiring both ways was an absolute disgrace, the whistle blows and no one knows what its for, half of those frees were garbage, we got our fair share of trash free kicks!!
Mayes timidity, to be polite,is unacceptable

Back