Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost all of that was in the second half from memory......
Yes. Sandy were extremely bad in the first half of the game then came out firing.
Had they actually been switched on from the beginning he would have had a dominant performance.

Out

King
Membrey
Hayes
Paton

In

Cordy
Caminiti
Shoenmaker
Byrnes

Webster Wilkie Cordy
NWM Howard Bonner
Hill Steele Wilson
Henry Battle Wood
Garcia Caminiti Owens
Marshall Sinclair Windhager

Hastie Stocker Ross Shoenmaker

Sub Byrnes

Send a message that the s**t our forwards dished up isn't acceptable.
It won't happen, but I don't hate the idea.

The focus now has to be scoring. Defence is fine. Wins, finals etc is meaningless, we need to find a way to get the scoreboard ticking over or we are just treading water.

Reality is we could easily be in the eight if close results had gone our way. But it's a results based industry and now the pressure will come, from media and fans. Maybe we're exactly where we were last year but just not winning.

It feels like wins are like a fine wine and losses are poison.

I'm not sure I care about the results right now, if we're on a long term journey that's fine but we need to find more goals if we're going anywhere on this journey. For the sake of being a watchable football team if nothing else.

The focus now has to be scoring. Defence is fine. Wins, finals etc is meaningless, we need to find a way to get the scoreboard ticking over or we are just treading water.

Reality is we could easily be in the eight if close results had gone our way. But it's a results based industry and now the pressure will come, from media and fans. Maybe we're exactly where we were last year but just not winning.

I'm not sure I care about the results right now, if we're on a long term journey that's fine but we need to find more goals if we're going anywhere on this journey. For the sake of being a watchable football team if nothing else.
We need find a way to loosen the shackles and play a more free flowing brand, even if it means getting scored on more. But thats just so against how we've played the past 2 years that it's not an easy mindset change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the last two weeks I’ve got zero confidence. Midfield is buggered, forward line not functioning and the backline can’t win it on their own. We’re down on form and confidence, nobody’s putting their hand up to inspire his teammates.
I’ll probably go but with little hope and no confidence.
Saints by 723!

Most of our close losses were lucky to be still close let alone win them. The results flattered us. We usually played 15 minutes of good footy after dragging the game down into a slog.

We badly need some small forwards to kick goals rather than just relying on our tall forwards who are all struggling to kick goals.

Unfortunately Higgins won't be back until next week and Butler is still a few weeks away while it seems like Collard isn't ready yet.

Our forward line should start looking more potent when we get Higgins and Butler back and Collard is ready to make an impact.

Hammer for Membrey. Dow for Ross.

Result is irrelevant. Would be nice to see us not be soft AF this week. Stick some tackles, crack in.

They'll fire up for this game and only lose by 12 points. They'll run around looking really busy though.

Most of our close losses were lucky to be still close let alone win them. The results flattered us. We usually played 15 minutes of good footy after dragging the game down into a slog.
We were in the games because we defend quite well but can't score.

Point is we could easily have an inflated ladder position.

No one banging down the door to come in, but can't just accept that and roll with it again. Dow probably not really deserving, but the midfield needs a serious shake up. So does our forward half.. I truely believe Sharman is better equiped as a defender, using his leap to come over the top and spoil the ball.

Out: membrey, Ross,
In: Dow, Sharman,

B: Webster, Howard, Sharman
Hb: NAS, wilkie, Sinclair
C: wood, Dow, hill
Hf: Henry, battle, Wilson
F: Garcia, king , Owens
Foll: Marshall, Steele, windhager
Int: Bonner, hastie, Paton, Hayes
Sub: stocker

The wheels are really falling off now. Not uncommon for a Ross Lyon side.

Freo went from 1st in 2015 to 16th in 2016. We dropped off considerably in 2011.

Once a Ross Lyon side realise they are not contending, all that is left is Ross Lyon football, which is just so damn bland. What does a young kid have to get excited about?
Our players were emotionally shattered after playing off in the GF - 3 games in two years, for nothing.
We all were.
It was totally foreseeable that was going to happen.

Don't understand why these talented juniors aren't played in the positions they dominated as juniors. I know King was predominantly CHF..Stocker mid field forward that could bomb goals from 50 and Battle was full forward with a beautiful kick for goal. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.
One of a couple of St Kilda Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospects pushing for top 30 contention is Mitch Owens, a rising talent out of the Sandringham Dragons. Having grown 15cm since his Under 16s campaign, the 18-year-old has developed into a dynamic utility who can play on either side of midfield and at both ends of the ground. His aerial work is impressive at 190cm and his gutsiness overhead translates to similarly relentless defensive effort. In one of the great opportunity snatches of 2021, Owens was a late call-up to this year's Vic Metro vs. Vic Country Under 19 Challenge match and took full toll, collecting 29 disposals and seven marks in a breakout performance which put his name in lights.

The other side to Owens' more flashy traits is his explosiveness across the ground. He showcases a terrific turn of speed when powering away from stoppages and isn't afraid to dish out a fend-off. Combined with that straight-line speed is his agility, which helps him get out of tight spots with little shifts either way to make would-be tacklers look silly and keep the play alive.

Like why on earth is this man not playing midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back