Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We currently sit 13th on the Shots at Goal Ladder .... averaging 23.1

In 11th and 12th place is Melbourne (24.2) & Essendon (23.9) ... both teams are in the 8

AFL Average is 24.5

For Shots on Goal against we sit 9th (23.9)

AFL average is 24.5

Crazy one here is Essendon as they sit 15th (25.9) for Shots on Goal against

So Bombers on average have 2 less shots per game than their opposition but sit 3rd on the ladder :oops: .... guessing that's why their % is 98 ... fraction over us

In 11th and 12th place is Melbourne (24.2) & Essendon (23.9) ... both teams are in the 8

AFL Average is 24.5

AFL average is 24.5

So Bombers on average have 2 less shots per game than their opposition but sit 3rd on the ladder :oops: .... guessing that's why their % is 98 ... fraction over us
Yep, the folks that do the expected score calculations had Essendon losing 6 of 7 before last round (not sure in Rd 8). *yes, yes, just a model, but interesting nonetheless.

AFL Average is 24.5

AFL average is 24.5

Bombers look like the imposters in the top 8. They are like us last year. Hard to see them staying top 4.

We are a goal a game away from sitting 7-2 at the moment. We are under performing at the moment certainly but the way people act on here like the club is falling apart, the coaches have no clue, the youth are no good etc.. is just self imposed misery.
Got to stop with these narratives. We have looked the worst team in all of our 6 losses, apart from maybe Bombers.

Could easily argue we were the worst side against Tigers, and we were given a very favourable umpiring outcome against the Pies.

We are very much where we deserve to be. Bottom 5.

Have a look at who we play. Who are we beating?

Freo in melbourne - I think they should be favourites.
Melbourne- Loss
WCE in Perth -should win but with umpiring over there who knows.
Suns in Melbourne- they probably win but maybe 50/50 if I'm generous.
Lions in Brisbane- Loss
Port in Melbourne- Loss
Sydney in Melbourne- Loss
Crows in Adelaide- Loss
Eagles in Melbourne- win
Essendon- loss
Lions melbourne -loss
Richmond- win
Cats marvel- loss
Carlton- loss.

Unless we have a massive form turn around I give us three more wins.
Don't think we need a massive form turnaround .... we just need to start capitalising on our forward entries ... currently our defensive unit is holding up

Also some teams may drop off and go through a rough patch themselves

On some of those matches -

Port / Sydney / Brisbane aren't guaranteed to beat us in Melbourne at Marvel

Geelong are terrible at Marvel

Essendon barely have a % better than ours

We beat Carlton last year at Marvel and yes they beat us ... but no gimme there for Blues if we turn up

Suns struggle on the road

Dees v Saints usually a pretty close game

Sure we have to turn around our form but it is possible and even the best teams have down days

Note - both GWS & Blues were 2 & 6 last year and both made the Prelims

Have a look at who we play. Who are we beating?

Freo in melbourne - I think they should be favourites.
Melbourne- Loss
WCE in Perth -should win but with umpiring over there who knows.
Suns in Melbourne- they probably win but maybe 50/50 if I'm generous.
Lions in Brisbane- Loss
Port in Melbourne- Loss
Sydney in Melbourne- Loss
Crows in Adelaide- Loss
Eagles in Melbourne- win
Essendon- loss
Lions melbourne -loss
Richmond- win
Cats marvel- loss
Carlton- loss.

Unless we have a massive form turn around I give us three more wins.
You are right that with our current form most of those will be losses.

It just is not conceivable to me that a team that played the way we did in 2023 will maintain this current form for an entire season. Especially not with Ross in charge.

I don't know how it will change, but it must

Our players were emotionally shattered after playing off in the GF - 3 games in two years, for nothing.
We all were.
It was totally foreseeable that was going to happen.
The pies were also the youngest gf winning side in decades, everyone knew the writing was on the wall at that point for our team who's stars were all pushing 30

Saints at $1.70 is one of the worst bets I can honestly ever recall for a professional sporting event. We should be rank outsider. 3-1 or more feels about right.

Freo struggled to beat North in their only other game at Marvel this year. North were flogging them in the first half before Freo made a 2nd half comeback to win by 26 points, North's closest loss this year, so that may have have played a part in the odds.

I don't think we deserve to be favourites but I'm not sure Freo deserve to be favourites either, I reckon it's pretty close to 50/50.

Freo struggled to beat North in their only other game at Marvel this year. North were flogging them in the first half before Freo made a 2nd half comeback to win by 26 points, North's closest loss this year, so that may have have played a part in the odds.

I don't think we deserve to be favourites but I'm not sure Freo deserve to be favourites either, I reckon it's pretty close to 50/50.
They have a midfield so I expect them to be hard to beat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a fraction off topic, but how do you go from being

# A goal away from knocking off Geelong at Geelong.

# Beating last years premiers.

# A point away from knocking of GWS away.

# Losing to Essendon by a kick after we had the game won.

All only a month ago. With a long injury list.

To being one of the most putrid sides in the AFL, playing putrid football, with an injury list that is shrinking every week.

You tend to forget we were going pretty well not too long ago. What’s happened?

To being one of the most putrid sides in the AFL, playing putrid football, with an injury list that is shrinking every week.

We are getting some of our better players back now but that doesn't guarantee instant improvement as it can take time for those players to get full match fitness and get synergy with the rest of the team, having constant changes each week isn't helping us.

We've looked shit in nearly every game apart from the Pies game. We have managed to put on small patches of attacking footy and drag ourselves back into the contest after looking completely gone.

The game plan is so unattractive that it's hard not to feel aggravated watching them.

One more win for the rest of the season? We've had a couple s**t losses and a fair few close ones. We are favourites this weekend for a reason.
We shouldn't be favourites this week.

We are getting some of our better players back now but that doesn't guarantee instant improvement as it can take time for those players to get full match fitness and get synergy with the rest of the team, having constant changes each week isn't helping us.

Until we get Snags, Butler and Crouch/Dow in playing good footy we look unbalanced.

Agree with all this but what it says to me is that for all the sky is falling calls in this forum, l believe the Saints will be top 4 contenders in 25. And yes, I am a Saints supporter. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back