Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, the pain we are going to feel all week from the media stating how amazing the GCS are??? When Geelong had so many of their guns out. How bloody lucky are the Suns, more like it & Geelong still managed to kick a 100 points, free- flowing unpressured dribble more like it. Bloody Sexton had 32 possessions? & Long kicked 2 goals, rarely happens.

That forward line hasn't been the most settled with most players being out with injury at some point & then there was the case of it being too young & inexperienced. But last year the young ones seemed to improve it?

Our ins and outs look gross to me

The defence will hold up as always
Mids no improvement, Dow didn't earn it, Steele will have to carry again
Forward line will get picked off by Pearce, Ryan and Clark

The players on the bench not named Webster are lucky to be playing

Whatever the result i would like to see our forwards put down some defensive pressure. Spoil, run, chase, tackle yada yada. At the moment we are easiest team for opposition defenders to play against.

I don't have much faith in our young inexperienced forward line kicking a winning score against an experienced Freo defence.

Membrey and Hayes would have had more experience and strength to compete with Pearce and Ryan in the aerial contests.

I can see both Pearce and Ryan dominating in the aerial contests against King, Caminiti and Sharman if we bomb it in as usual.

We need to get the ball in quick and lower to negate their strengths to have a chance of scoring, even kick in some chaos balls.

Try and be more unpredictable, Port did that last week against Geelong where they ambushed them, do what they don't want.

I don't have much faith in our young inexperienced forward line kicking a winning score against an experienced Freo defence.

Membrey and Hayes would have had more experience and strength to compete with Pearce and Ryan in the aerial contests.

I can see both Pearce and Ryan dominating in the aerial contests against King, Caminiti and Sharman if we bomb it in as usual.

We need to get the ball in quick and lower to negate their strengths to have a chance of scoring, even kick in some chaos balls.

Try and be more unpredictable, Port did that last week against Geelong where they ambushed them, do what they don't want.
We need Schoenmaker in to kick it out the back of the pack with the forward reading it. He's done it well in the two's

Would Jones be any good as a pressure forward? or put him h.b.f where he played for the Swans. Seen enough of him in the midfield to be honest.
HBF, he should be able to provide some dash and drive from there..

He is not big enough and not clean enough as an inside mid, a bit messy skill wise in tight spaces so best to play him behind the ball and with space to run.

I agree changes needed to be made and the players who come out deserved to be dropped, but not many of the replacements deserved a call up IMO.

*Jones gave plenty of drive and energy but is kicking efficiency was horrible.
*Dow played well in the 2nd half, so perhaps the coaches are gambling on him being a better version at AFL level.
*Caminiti played well but his kicking on goals let him down.
*Sharman contested well, played a blinder the week prior.
*Phillipou looked better as the game went on, surprised they didnt give him another week in the VFL.
*Collard was unsighted, simply doesnt deserve his game. Again perhaps he is a player who will look better at the higher level.

For me unless the above really turn it on at AFL level, it will be rinse and repeat next week.
To be honest, the Sandringham team is really poor. Being a small forward in St Kilda colours is hard, it’s worse playing in our VFL forward line.

Euro-Yroke seems to have some odd selections.

Some of our favorite EY players seem to have been left out and the inclusions seem odd. (Even to the most die-hard EY fans have to acknowledge this.)

For example:
1) How can the EY young star Mr Mattaes be thrust back into the starting 18? What was the point of putting an underdeveloped raw egg into the frying pan??? The EY honchos gotta think about that one!
2) Mr Hayes was an EY God! And now he has been reduced to an EY Orange Boy! How can that happen?
3) Please don't tell me EY are grasping at straws! Rossy, Timbrey, Stockers, Hastie Hughey G, ??? We have the old skool and the new kids on.....eh.....the block. Chop, chop.

THis is SERIOUS

Dropping Members and Ross - that is MAJOR!!!

I am not a big Members fan, but gee, I hope he 'aint a scapegoat.

Bit disappointing to see Matteas straight back in; what was the point in giving him one week development time at Sandy.

We have to shake this outdated concept of Sandringham being punishment rather than development opportunity.
Agreed, he needs a solid month with Sandringham. Form needs to be provable. You can't measure consistency from one game.

We should look at getting hold of Jack Lukosious. Absolute gun. Looks like young Jezza Cameron.
Classy and versatile, he’s been very impressive imo. Someone said he was a chance to move recently so yeah we’d have to ask the question but I think the SA clubs would be front runners.

Hayes probably the unlucky one. Was good two weeks ago, they were obviously really unimpressed by his Hawthorn game.

The other changes all make sense to me, don't get the angst at all. For example, there's only so much to gain from Collard playing VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been baffled by selection most of the year. I understand our depth is poor, and blokes needed to be dropped, but the messaging seems all over the shop. Phillipou goes back, plays one average VFL game and it's enough to earn a recall. You've got collard getting picked via a 4 possession 1 tackle game, jones will come back in, frustrate the hell out of us and Ross, and will be back out next week.. the list goes on. On top of all this, surely we aren't "managing" all of Ross, membrey and stocker. If they are omitted, surely let that be known? Hayes was arguably our best player the week before, plays a poor second game and he is straight out of the side? I really can't work out what's going on this year.
Probably Lyon is tasking players to do a job, and if they're not doing it, and also not playing well, it is pretty hard to keep that player in a team. Looking at the Sandy game last week, the lack of enthusiasm of the Saints players was very obvious in the first half, though Caminiti and Sharman set up some scoring opportunities with some smarts to get Sandy back in the game and earned a call up I guess. I think Lyon is running out of ideas with the available talent and I think Jones is coming in to add run and carry. Collard probably needs another crack in senior game, as he hardly got a fair go against Geelong and we need every goal scoring possibility we can get in the team. Dow is the obvious replacement for Ross.

Hayes probably the unlucky one. Was good two weeks ago, they were obviously really unimpressed by his Hawthorn game.

The other changes all make sense to me, don't get the angst at all. For example, there's only so much to gain from Collard playing VFL.
Caminiti getting so many shots at Sandy also hurt Hayes chance of staying in. I dont think you could play both of them and King in the same forward line.

Garcia had 11 possessions, 6 tackles and set up a couple of goals playing as a small forward. Not sure he deserved to be dropped especially after Collards game on the weekend.

Hope Collard goes well but Garcia is a bit stiff.

Garcia had 11 possessions, 6 tackles and set up a couple of goals playing as a small forward. Not sure he deserved to be dropped especially after Collards game on the weekend.

Agreed but also not sure it makes much difference either way. Garcia knows he’s good enough for the level, now he has hard work to do to build on his strengths. No harm in doing that in the VFL.

I watched a good portion of the sandy game and collard did nothing, call it what it is an undeserved gift game. I hope he plays a blinder but he’s a very lucky young man. Garcia has shown a bit and while he’s stiff to be dropped it won’t hurt him, being back in the middle at sandy will help his development imo.

remember that dream when stupid sexy flanders didn't re-sign and he came to the saints.

Will Graham and Joel Jeffrey are the ones to pick off this time.

WG is another academy kid from last year. Not as high profile as the other three they got last year but is a fast tackle happy inside mid/ HBF. They get more academy kids in the next couple of years so they'll have a surplus. Already looks pretty good at VFL level.

Jeffrey in the VFL looks a gun. He's getting a bit lost in the seniors. He's probably not a need but think he'll end up another high level Sun who might struggle to fit own the side.

We should throw Weitering money at Luko too. He's a freak and apparently gettable next year.

Riley Garcia from the Dogs and throw him on ball too. His VFL numbers were incredible when he plays out of the middle. Plays HHF when he makes seniors and gets lost.

Ben didn’t kick one from a mark tonight did he? All snaps from memory. Well at least two!

Max King played juniors like that. He was much more a 2 meter Steven Milne than a Tony Lockett.

I watched a good portion of the sandy game and collard did nothing, call it what it is an undeserved gift game. I hope he plays a blinder but he’s a very lucky young man. Garcia has shown a bit and while he’s stiff to be dropped it won’t hurt him, being back in the middle at sandy will help his development imo.

He had kicked 11goals in the previous 4 games. I think he might be our highest scoring VFL player this year.

VFL small forward roles are the hardest position to play and the first half the ball barely came deep inside our attacking 50.

Without Snags and Butler our forward line looks impotent. If you have one small forward left you might as well play them.

Oh no, the pain we are going to feel all week from the media stating how amazing the GCS are??? When Geelong had so many of their guns out. How bloody lucky are the Suns, more like it & Geelong still managed to kick a 100 points, free- flowing unpressured dribble more like it. Bloody Sexton had 32 possessions? & Long kicked 2 goals, rarely happens.

Sexton is underrated. Fatty Dew ruined his career. Played him as a mid sized KPF and he still topped their goal kicking but when he got outside the square he was always very competent.

Good to see Sam Day back. He was one of the original Suns I think. Would be lucky to have played 100 games in that time. He's a gun but so fragile. Max King would love someone like him to take a defender off him.

Suns have been a huge disappointment. They have so much quality on the list.

I love Garcia but we need scores not locking the game down.

I'm hoping Ross is going more attacking. He's a vain old bastard and he'll want to shove it up the media. This will be a game that our players won't want to coast in.

Ben King, 2 touches, 0 goals to HT.

Yet the Suns have kicked 11.

Imagine if we didn’t need to rely on Max to kick a score. Imagine if the rest of the team shared the load.
Why do you need to imagine? He has only kicked 9 out of our 95 goals for the year and in our highest scoring game he kicked 1.0. Last year King didn't even play in either of the games that we scored over 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back