Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Clark but I want to see him getting more than 24 touches in a 100+ point win before he's in the senior side.

His running is a weakness so for mine he needs to be flint edge of his fitness levels before he is considered.
Agree, but we need help for Steele in the tackling department, both Clark & Crouch should help with that.
And that was his 3rd game back, even though he was injured in the first one.

Those who are looking at the silver lining around our current form in terms of a good upcoming draft hand need to take note. I just dusted off my crystal ball and discovered this.

Incredibly, the AFL gift us the first four picks in this year's draft.
The outcome is this.
Pick 1. We bypass the next Harley Reid in favor of a beige half forward flanker based on the recommendation of Chris Pelchen. Apparently his mum reckons he's a good lad too.
Pick 2. We pick a close relative of Dangerfield only to find out later that he's related to Rodney not Paddy.
Pick 3. Surprisingly, we actually pick a gun mid only to find out he's got previously undiagnosed Tourette's Syndrome. He keeps getting suspended for telling the umpires to fk off.
Pick 4. We finally get one right and pick a once in a generation mid. Ironically, he's the younger brother of Petracca. Unfortunately, he does his ACL in the preseason and then gets an infected knee. Eventually they have to amputate his leg.

Actually, our picks dropped back to 5-8 because the Dogs had four father-son picks.

Anyway, apparently we at least get a few decent types in the Rookie draft. They regularly make out top 10 in our B and F.
1686559835108.gif

Attachments

• 200 (58).gif
    200 (58).gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

I understand that but I also don't care and would love the club to not give a s**t. I think Ross has broad enough shoulders to manage the criticism.

I also think if it worked, nobody would give a s**t Campbell was playing.

The move isn't about extending the career of Campbell, or Hayes or heath etc in that role, it's about seeing if a different structure ie Marshall fwd almost permanently changes the ball movement, scoring etc.

We have no transition from back to fwd. Ball movement is clearly an issue but there are no targets from d50 hence the chip crap to a wing them long bomb to 30 out where king just sits with an arm in the arm

At present I'd suggest getting a serviceable ruckman either via trade, free agency, VFL etc is easier than a legitimate tall fwd. Not to mention the cost.

King can't do it alone. Membrey is done. Caminiti isn't the answer and after that we have nothing else.
I think we've already found what our structure needs...a Hayes prototype...Big bodied very mobile, competes strongly in the aerial contest, can ruck...AND...kicks goals.

Who knows if Hayes body is capable of playing AFL but he's proved his prototype is exactly what we need, here's hoping he can get his body right.

Not really - playing Campbell for a few games might help the list managers to work out exactly what type of ruckman works best with Marshall.

We've tried every short a*** in the team ahead of Campbell and its painfully obvious that that doesn't work, so how about giving an actual ruckman a try.
Hayes is the prototype

Not really - playing Campbell for a few games might help the list managers to work out exactly what type of ruckman works best with Marshall.

We've tried every short a*** in the team ahead of Campbell and its painfully obvious that that doesn't work, so how about giving an actual ruckman a try.
We don't need another ruckman to go with him, we just need to get him a midfield

I'll wait for the 50 - 60 game mark before judging anything. He's very young still, and very raw. I hope he spends the next eight to ten games in Sandringham and has extra time with Carroll and Batch.
I agree that his first 30 games haven't exactly been a highlight reel. He's not worthy of a senior spot right now.
Out of all our players pou and windy the most dedicated trainers. Pou is finding it tough. I think it’s pretty obvious to see he’s to focused on his opponent atm. I almost think let him play on the wing and learn to win some easy uncontested ball just to get him some touches in space.

I'll wait for the 50 - 60 game mark before judging anything. He's very young still, and very raw. I hope he spends the next eight to ten games in Sandringham and has extra time with Carroll and Batch.
I agree that his first 30 games haven't exactly been a highlight reel. He's not worthy of a senior spot right now.
Some weeks in the vfl
Can only be beneficial. Just like it was for Windy. Right now he’s got to be feeling a failure and that’s not good.
Back in after a week out is laughable. Let’s help the kid grow. He should be our future.

And notwithstanding Cairnsman ’s correct comments that there are always high draft failures ( and we are NOT the only club to have them) its way, way too early to call imo. But we have to do the right thing by him and that’s by letting him regain his confidence in the twos.

Far from ready to give up on Max. Needs to stay fit, not get suspended, and get some continuity in his game. Yes, needs to put in a lot more effort at times though and (goes without saying) get better delivery.

I think we've already found what our structure needs...a Hayes prototype...Big bodied very mobile, competes strongly in the aerial contest, can ruck...AND...kicks goals.

Who knows if Hayes body is capable of playing AFL but he's proved his prototype is exactly what we need, here's hoping he can get his body right.
I really like Hayes too but I'm not confident we will see his best. Already 28 and missed best part of 3 years after being a late starter.

I'd prioritise a genuine 2nd fwd option before his type.

Just my opinion of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of all our players pou and windy the most dedicated trainers. Pou is finding it tough. I think it’s pretty obvious to see he’s to focused on his opponent atm. I almost think let him play on the wing and learn to win some easy uncontested ball just to get him some touches in space.
I think there is something in that. I can’t recall seeing him lead up for a simple mark. Ever. I’m sure he has, but not recently.

I’ve been banging on about this for 12 months. - sincere apologies- Pou - get yourself a sprint coach during the off season - u are not dynamic & lack speed - get those attributes and the midfield beckons!

I think there is something in that. I can’t recall seeing him lead up for a simple mark. Ever. I’m sure he has, but not recently.
Knowing how, where, and when to lead is an issue for so many of our players.
It's nothing short of weird. I can't remember it being an issue for any of our previous team incarnations...and I've been following the Saints since '87. Players knowing where to go should be partly coached through systems etc. but mostly it should be instinctual.
Even in the early to mid Richo years we had players - some far less talented than what we have now on the books - capable of running into space. Towards the end of his tenure it dried up, almost team wide. It hasn't changed since.
As said... it's weird. To me we just move in packs with our immediate opponents hoping that the 50/50 works in our favour.
Clearly it isn't working.

I’ve been banging on about this for 12 months. - sincere apologies- Pou - get yourself a sprint coach during the off season - u are not dynamic & lack speed - get those attributes and the midfield beckons!
Sub 3 second 20m sprint at the combine would suggest otherwise. He's also got a solid time trial, so he's got all of the tools. He's trying too hard, not playing on instinct and is finding himself flat-footed too often in an effort to play to the game plan.

He also may as well be a first year draftee. He is a big boy with a big strong frame dealing with our expectations to be the midfield saviour. He is fanatical about getting the best out of himself and its clear he needs to get out of his own head a bit and let his natural ability take over.

I'm backing him in, he's got the tools already it just hasn't clicked yet. I wrote off BJ too soon, I won't be making that mistake with Pou.

Yea everything he is doing right now is just ‘tough’ like it’s not line he’s not trying. It’s like he’s been shadowing Steele all pre season but needs to shadow Sincs and Na’s just to learn to get some ‘cheap’ possessions. Again no doubt in my mind he’ll get there. Just a tough time atm.

Some weeks in the vfl
Can only be beneficial. Just like it was for Windy. Right now he’s got to be feeling a failure and that’s not good.
Back in after a week out is laughable. Let’s help the kid grow. He should be our future.

And notwithstanding Cairnsman ’s correct comments that there are always high draft failures ( and we are NOT the only club to have them) its way, way too early to call imo. But we have to do the right thing by him and that’s by letting him regain his confidence in the twos.

Far from ready to give up on Max. Needs to stay fit, not get suspended, and get some continuity in his game. Yes, needs to put in a lot more effort at times though and (goes without saying) get better delivery.
Once again from what it sounds and reading between the lines both Ross and Pou no exactly where he is at atm. Even sounds like Pou wants to go back to the vfl and dominate.

I’m not sure it will work but others have said Pou to the HBF like Goddard early doors - might help his development as he has a great left boot?
An interesting thought there TC.

Goddard took several years and endless speculation as to what would be his best playing position.

He eventually came good.....very very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back