Review Round 11, 2016: Geelong Cats v Box Hill Hawks, 19 June 2016, 2.10pm @ Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that Schoey got injured in round one and this groin problem has resisted treatment since round three when he finally fessed up to its existence, then I'd say it is pretty intractable.

So the answer to your question is a bloody long time. Maybe +3 months from the onset.

Simply no one knows how long this will take.

The groin has to settle and then Schoey has to build up the load on it without it breaking down/flaring up and then he has to get match fit for VFL level.

The fact that he is listed as indefinite shows that the fitness staff have little idea either as to how long this will persist. At least that is refreshingly honest of them.

So that's a :thumbsu: for Russell's team.

This is not a one off result.

BH has not fielded even a medium strength since the Werribee game in mid May and we certainly lost that match. Since then then we have only beaten bottom of the ladder Nth Ballart at home.

Roughy is not going to play any footy before late 2017 if at all, so that means no TOB at BH being the sole standing tall forward on the hawks list.

Schoey is not coming back any time at all under a month if not two, and nor is Spangher.

Fitzpatrick is taking forever to recover from his concussion and at this rate of improvement he may not play for at least a month.

Sure Willsmore and JOR will return eventually but they will not turn the tide and they certainly will not address the structural deficiencies with the lack of height and marking power in the F50.

So for the next 6 or so weeks at BH, this is about as good as it gets.

And if Cegs or McEvoy should get injured then it gets far worse as BH will be without Pittso and hence have no ruckmen what so ever as we saw against the Carltankers last week.

BH is now 5 and 4 and is in real danger of falling out of the 8. We are one game clear of the cats, wearybees, and tankers all of whom have smashed us over the last 5 weeks so the only rational conclusion is that we'll drop out of the 8.

Given that we have Port away, the bye, Willi at home, and the drug cheats at junkie skank hill, we are looking at three loses and falling out of the 8.
At this rate Burton and Woodward will be back playing before Fitzpatrick,Schoey and Spangher.

Agree 100% with the summary given above. A few further things IMO.

Hardwick has some real class and tricks but appears to be one of those players who would benefit and progress much more at afl level. Problem is he is behind poppy, Breust and Cyril so needs to bide his time at the lower level.

Pittonet really impressed me today. Really like his tap work and attacki on the ball. Think he will become a really good ruckmen in time.

Langford was horrible today, there is something seriously wrong with him and by that I mean between the ears. Hope he gets it together as we desperately need him at senior level

Heatherly has elite athleticism and is coming along nicely. Natural successor to Gibson and never takes a backward step.

Litherland. Love his speed and attack on the ball. No matter how hard he tries, continuously struggles with his disposal and reading of the play. Won't make it unfortunately

Whitecross. Is a shadow of his former self and has probably had his papers stamped. Loved him as a player pre knee recos, should have gone back to brisabne last year.

Brand. Jury still out for me. Looks likely at times but then looks disinterested a minute later. Is very athletic, but appears suspect in aerial contests.

Zac Webster. Don't see it and never have. Attacks the ball like a fox terrier but has very little impact as a midfielder.

jermaine lewis-Taylor. Great skills but goes missing for too long, don't see him making it.

Miles good player but has no outstanding attribute that makes me think he will make it. Hard pressed I would say no.

Lovell. seems to have all the skills and attributes to make it. Think he will be ok.

Didn't play today but I really like orourke. Hoping that he gets a game in the seniors this week.
Great summary. I think Heatherly is more a replacement for Strats than Gibbo. Would like to see him come in for Howe and free Gibbo up. Gibbo can be/is a top 25+ possies half back flanker with elite ball use. We should free him up as much as possible

I didn't mind Miles' game. One of very few that tried to provide some run and create.

I would have kept Brand at FB. Let him work out how to play on bigger bodies. Even when he got out marked he was still trying to take the game on.

He suffered concussion during the course of a match a few weeks ago. Troubling that he's taking so long to recover.

Also dismayed to hear Schoey is still a month or two away, seriously how can a groin injury take that long to get better?

Cheers Bumps. I was being a bit flippant but yes it is a worry. I feel for him too as at the start of the year I really thought he was going to get games.

Heatherley has taken great strides by the looks of him on Sunday. We all know the development he has shown in the past couple of seasons, but I think this year is when the 'footy brain' is kicking in. Seems to be far more instinctive, positioning himself really well when the ball is coming into the defensive 50. His disposal is also getting better and better. The thing I like most is his intensity and willingness to give all he can for each contest.

Yes he has a long way to go, however I'm really happy for the bloke with the improvement he has shown, and hears hoping it continues :thumbsu:

Heatherley has taken great strides by the looks of him on Sunday. We all know the development he has shown in the past couple of seasons, but I think this year is when the 'footy brain' is kicking in. Seems to be far more instinctive, positioning himself really well when the ball is coming into the defensive 50. His disposal is also getting better and better. The thing I like most is his intensity and willingness to give all he can for each contest.

Yes he has a long way to go, however I'm really happy for the bloke with the improvement he has shown, and hears hoping it continues :thumbsu:
Agree has gone up a gear this year. Is now ultra reliable and composed. Clean with the ball and making good decisions. Is ready to be tested at the next level.

I was worried after his grand final last year as when the real pressure was on he couldnt quite do what he was trying to do as a defender - he couldnt quite handle the bigger bodies. Not that he has this year but looks more capable of going up to the next level.

At this rate Burton and Woodward will be back playing before Fitzpatrick,Schoey and Spangher.

Most likely.

Woody is back playing DS but has rolled his ankle.

Schoey may be finished for the year and Spang is a 6-10 week proposition.

Burton should beat Fitzy by a week or two but it could be close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back