Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Saturday, August 8
Port Adelaide v Richmond (AO) (T)
Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs (G) (N)

Sunday, August 9
West Coast v Carlton (OS)
Melbourne v North Melbourne (AO) (N)

Monday, August 10
St Kilda v Geelong (G) (N)
Fremantle v Hawthorn (OS) (N)

Tuesday, August 11
Adelaide v Collingwood (AO) (N)

Wednesday, August 12
Gold Coast v Essendon (MS) (N)

Byes: Greater Western Sydney, Sydney

Saturday, August 8
Port Adelaide v Richmond (AO) (T) HOME/BLACK v CLASH/WHITE
Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs (G) (N) HOME/MAROON v CLASH/WHITE

Sunday, August 9
West Coast v Carlton (OS) HOME/ROYAL v CLASH/WHITE
North Melbourne v Melbourne (BA) (N) HOME/ROYAL v RED BACK/WHITE

Monday, August 10
Geelong v St Kilda (G) (N) HOME/WHITE v HOME/BLACK
Fremantle v Hawthorn (OS) (N) HOME/PURPLE v CLASH/WHITE

Tuesday, August 11
Adelaide v Collingwood (AO) (N) HOME/NAVY v CLASH/WHITE

Wednesday, August 12
Gold Coast v Essendon (MS) (N) HOME/RED v HOME/BLACK

Pretty bad clash in the Suncorp Super Netball

Anyway for some reason, clubs aren't using alternative dresses this season

Couple of games have had the nominal home/away teams switched.

The Geelong-St Kilda game has been swapped to be a Saints home game. Uniform wise, we'll definitely see Cats in white shorts now. Would have been a good litmus test of their shorts policy if it had remained a Cats home game.

North's home game in Hobart is now a Demons home game in Adelaide. Will North be in all white now or will they go back to the home with white shorts look the rocked for a couple of games earlier in the year?

Also, Carlton will be wearing Orange socks as part of the ‘Carlton Respects’ gender equality program.

lfe6lh9huew11.png

And with that brings the one chance I have every year to bump this image (my hand holding the jumper)

People to this day still think this was fake, pumping the contrast up on photoshop to prove it

The Geelong-St Kilda game has been swapped to be a Saints home game. Uniform wise, we'll definitely see Cats in white shorts now. Would have been a good litmus test of their shorts policy if it had remained a Cats home game.

I feel like we've seen enough litmus tests for the Geelong shorts. We've been the home team against Carlton, Collingwood and North Melbourne this season and each time we wore white shorts

I would like us to wear white shorts as our home uniform for every match, but navy shorts are our home uniform and for home matches against any of the 14 other clubs, navy shorts should be worn

I feel like we've seen enough litmus tests for the Geelong shorts. We've been the home team against Carlton, Collingwood and North Melbourne this season and each time we wore white shorts

I would like us to wear white shorts as our home uniform for every match, but navy shorts are our home uniform and for home matches against any of the 14 other clubs, navy shorts should be worn

I think you could be right, in that it feels like they've found a bit of a middle ground this season. Navy shorts as default, but switch to white when there is a significant contrast issue. The one thing that leaves a little bit of lingering doubt for me though is looking at the teams that navy have been worn against, they've all been teams with a jumper that doesn't have white or navy/black; that is, even with the away team in white shorts, the jumper has popped enough to negate any clash.

Navy - Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Brisbane Lions
White - Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne

If this was 2018 when Geelong wore white in most home games, all of those matchups bar Hawthorn would still have been the same. St Kilda would have been a good chance to see if they've reverted back to the white in most home games but are allowing a few extra games in navy to keep Geelong happy, or if navy is indeed the default for all home games outside of a few glaringly bad matchups. They have a home match against Port in round 12 though, so that will be telling for me. We're yet to see Port play an away game to Geelong wearing the white number panel, and for me Geelong in home/navy against Port in home/white will be a terrible clash. If Geelong are in white for that, then I think we'll know that they've largely reverted back to the 2018 policy IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne v North isn't full home vs full home, either North have abandoned the royal jumper in away games or the league really is just making it up as they go along.

Just gonna quote myself from the round 8 thread here:

Been meaning to post some thoughts in here for days but keep getting distracted when I go to do it.

So, the North Melbourne-Carlton game. This is kinda a big deal I reckon. Why has that particular matchup now been allowed to occur TWICE with neither team in white shorts, while no other Navy/Royal matchups have?

Of all the Navy/Royal matchups, that one is just about the worst to have both teams in full kit. Both teams only have white as secondary colours, providing no extra contrast between the two kits. Its one reason why I'm not a big fan of Adelaide v West Coast with both teams in their home jumpers. The navy and royal aren't a clash per se, but adding in the mutual gold to both kits means neither kit has anything else to pop against the mutual shades of blue.

If you are going to have Navy v Royal in both full kits, then there needs to be different secondary colours IMO. Eg. Adelaide v North Melbourne or West Coast v Carlton. I think these combos, with the added gold in one team to help with contrast, would be fine.

Bottom line is, if North v Carlton was fine, then why did Collingwood not wear full black against West Coast? Its exactly the same concept, with the added benefit of one team not having any shade of blue. Tin foil hat time: The AFL think Carlton in white shorts creates too much mutual white, and don't want to force North into white shorts for a home game (lol), so let both teams wear full home for some reason (even though Carlton in clash would be totally fine).

The only other reasonable explanation I can think of is that for some reason, the person responsible at AFL House or in the Carlton football department, still has Carlton listed as needing to wear full home against North, having not updated their thinking since North had the white jumper as a home jumper.

Its just totally perplexing. I can't find the logic at all.

This is definitely a better matchup for me than North-Carlton was, for the very reasons I mentioned. I think the only problem I'm having with this today is that with the inclement weather in Perth, it looks very dark which is hindering the contrast slightly on long shots. I guess that then begs the question of whether we need to start going so far as to taking to account the time of day and conditions a match is being played in? A nice clear day/night and I think this would look fantastic.

If this is allowed though, then surely we see Melbourne v North in full home kits tonight. :think:

They allow this and winge about our shorts????

C'mon man, thats completely different. Today we see two teams in solid block colours. Sure they're both blue, but they're very different shades, and one team has an added contrast colour to help. The issue with Geelong is often less about the Cats navy shorts, and more because the opposition who is usually in a dark jumper gets put into white shorts. A white/dark v dark/white combo is a dogs breakfast, and is a completely different proposition to what we're seeing here.

Its been said before, put the opposition in their regular home shorts against Geelong and you'd end up with a better product, because Geelong's white would work in a similar way to the Eagles gold here today.

I guess that then begs the question of whether we need to start going so far as to taking to account the time of day and conditions a match is being played in? A nice clear day/night and I think this would look fantastic.
That's overcomplicating things for me. What happens when the bright sunshine in the first half gives way to storms in the second?
Select the matchups based on a wet grey twilight match.

The funny thing though is that this is one of those instances where white shorts would actually have helped, even though they're usually a hindrance

The funny thing though is that this is one of those instances where white shorts would actually have helped, even though they're usually a hindrance
Yeah while both teams in full home doesn’t necessarily look bad by any means, it’s an odd game for them to do it. A game like, I don’t know, Port vs West Coast maybe would’ve been a good game for them to have both in full home.

Yeah while both teams in full home doesn’t necessarily look bad by any means, it’s an odd game for them to do it. A game like, I don’t know, Port vs West Coast maybe would’ve been a good game for them to have both in full home.

I don't think it's a great contrast, realistically the Blues should be in all white and we're not even having this discussion. It's just odd that Carlton is the guinea pig for this tactic by the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back