Preview Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG - Sunday 26th May, 3.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve watched every excruciating minute but I don’t believe we’re as poor as we’re playing. With a few more back from injury, we’re a much better side. Granted, it’ll take some time for a few to get up and going at AFL level but I’m confident we’ll start turning the corner. Melbourne look vulnerable.
Let's hope so mate. I'd way rather see us playing good footy and getting some wins than going terribly and getting a better draft pick.

Outs

Sharman
Collard
Jones
Phillipou
King
Paton

Ins

Garcia
Higgins
Hayes
Ross
Stocker
Cordy

Clark and Crouch can build on fitness.

Cordy Wilkie Webster
Bonner Howard NWM
Hill Steele Wilson
Wood Battle Henry
Higgins Caminiti Owens
Marshall Sinclair Windhager

Ross Dow Garcia Hayes

Sub Stocker
Maybe should veer left from this one

Indeed

We only need empirical evidence

We made a granny winning only 15 home & away games in ‘97.

Maybe the first to get there.

We were 1-4 too.

Surely we can win every game from now.

With all our injured stars coming back.

And having the 3-7 wake-up alarm button pressed.

The only reason we make finals is getting our good players back and getting on a roll while those around us stay shit. It's a weird season with no stand out sides and plenty of teams in the middle of the ladder trying to be as shit as us.

We are 3 games off equal 6th somehow but none in that group- GWS, Melbourne, Suns, Freo, Dogs, Brisbane and Carlton are reliable. If they can stay fit and go on a run there is opportunity.

GWS and Carton were pretty much shit at the midway point of the season (2023). I think both had 4 wins at round 10 or something.

All that said, it's hard to see us going from where we are now to that but Crouch and Snags alone make us a much more competitive side.

Didn't Ross empower his Line Coaches to come up with the game plan??

How can it be Ross's fault??

He doesn't have the cattle to compete and he's making everything a dour borefest to stop us getting smashed.

After emailing the club Saturday night while slightly inebriated…. Ok, so I was smashed, like the Saints, I received an email back today.
It is TLTR so not going to post in here, but I can tell you I now know who writes Ross Lyons press conferences speeches. 🤣
Still it was nice to get, as I didn’t really expect a reply.

I don't understand why everyone's jumped off Hayes so quickly. Surely after all he's been through he warranted a few games in a row considering our current form. He was an early tactical sub in his last game. Personally I'd be giving him a run of games to see what he's got and give Marshall a bit of a break. I'd definitely have him in ahead of Allison.

Idk, why we selected Hastie ahead of McLennan, who can play as a lockdown small defender and has been very clean , very accountable, and also good on the rebound at Sandringham.
I just don't see what McLennan offers us. Watching some VFL games, he strikes me as a solid VFL player, but nothing more if i'm completely honest. Hastie strikes me as someone who has far more potential.

Outs

Sharman
Collard
Jones
Phillipou
King
Paton

Ins

Garcia
Higgins
Hayes
Ross
Stocker
Cordy

Clark and Crouch can build on fitness.

Cordy Wilkie Webster
Bonner Howard NWM
Hill Steele Wilson
Wood Battle Henry
Higgins Caminiti Owens
Marshall Sinclair Windhager

Ross Dow Garcia Hayes

Sub Stocker

No way is King getting dropped after Ross went out of his way to praise him in his post game presser.

In his words, “his form is symptomatic of our mid to forward transition.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No way is King getting dropped after Ross went out of his way to praise him in his post game presser.

In his words, “his form is symptomatic of our mid to forward transition.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This saddens me.

Nervous Fetal Position GIF by Big Brother

I just don't see what McLennan offers us. Watching some VFL games, he strikes me as a solid VFL player, but nothing more if i'm completely honest. Hastie strikes me as someone who has far more potential.
He locks down on opponents and is capable in the air and intercepting. Does a lot of stuff a casual fan doesn’t see. When he debuts, it’ll be one of the more surprising ones, rather than one fans have been begging for for ages - like Arie.

It's a weird season with no stand out sides
Don't think Sydney are a stand out side? 9-1, averaging over 100 a game. They are clear favourites at this stage. Not to mention Collingwood have been building and will no doubt peak when it matters.
Port, GWS, Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong are also well ahead of anyone outside the top 8 (ignore Carlton outside the top 8!) And GC, Essendon and Freo are still better than us by a long shot. I'd say Dogs and Crows well above us. We're at Roos, Eagles, Hawks level.

In saying all that, there's no point in tanking and getting flogged for the rest of the year. May as well try and instill a winning culture while our players are young.

Many don't rate him, or have written him off because of his age but I think Brad Crouch is our best midfielder and we'll be far far better with him back. Can definitely bank some wins down the stretch and come home with a wet sail. Momentum is massive these days!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO At a minimum, Higgins will come in for Collard and Crouch will come in for Jones. The other changes, if any, will depend on match ups. I will watch the game, but I am currently at the stage where I am enjoying watching the Sandringham games more than the Saints. Having said that, I would not be surprised if we won this game. It's the Saint's thing to do. Win this game and suck us all back in, only to disappoint us even more further down the track!
That's just part of you still hoping ;)

The only reason we make finals is getting our good players back and getting on a roll while those around us stay s**t. It's a weird season with no stand out sides and plenty of teams in the middle of the ladder trying to be as s**t as us.

We are 3 games off equal 6th somehow but none in that group- GWS, Melbourne, Suns, Freo, Dogs, Brisbane and Carlton are reliable. If they can stay fit and go on a run there is opportunity.

GWS and Carton were pretty much s**t at the midway point of the season (2023). I think both had 4 wins at round 10 or something.

All that said, it's hard to see us going from where we are now to that but Crouch and Snags alone make us a much more competitive side.
Like your optimism ;)

Yeah boring.
Just beats his opponent and gets it to a teammate without turning it over.

Don't think Sydney are a stand out side? 9-1, averaging over 100 a game. They are clear favourites at this stage. Not to mention Collingwood have been building and will no doubt peak when it matters.
Port, GWS, Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong are also well ahead of anyone outside the top 8 (ignore Carlton outside the top 8!) And GC, Essendon and Freo are still better than us by a long shot. I'd say Dogs and Crows well above us. We're at Roos, Eagles, Hawks level.

In saying all that, there's no point in tanking and getting flogged for the rest of the year. May as well try and instill a winning culture while our players are young.

Many don't rate him, or have written him off because of his age but I think Brad Crouch is our best midfielder and we'll be far far better with him back. Can definitely bank some wins down the stretch and come home with a wet sail. Momentum is massive these days!

Remember all those joke meme's over a few trade periods where we were "getting Heeney" "Its happening".
At least we know we were joking about the right player.

He locks down on opponents and is capable in the air and intercepting. Does a lot of stuff a casual fan doesn’t see. When he debuts, it’ll be one of the more surprising ones, rather than one fans have been begging for for ages - like Arie.

8 intercepts that ended inside attacking 50 says he had a very good game last time. Not show off stuff but win you games stuff.

Sydney is definitely the stand out now but I don't feel like they are unbeatable. When Melbourne and Collingwood were the best sides for their year they seemed unassailable. They've had some luck hitting sides when they are down.

Geelong look like they've started to stumble. Melbourne are all over the place. Carlton are looking like they are in a slump etc. None of them look that flash to me. I would think Sydney and Collingwood are the form sides right now and neither are outrageously better than anyone.

We have been awful but we are getting back our most important players. Doesn't guarantee wins but it's better than playing with your hands tied.

Highly successful teams like we were last year can easily fall into a success hangover the following year as we’re finding out.
Happens all the time in team sports.
They usually bounce back the following year.

Pretty sure Van Es and Ari aren’t in our best 22.
So let’s just pick our best 22 for the first time
This season and see how we go.
They’re all available.

I think it would be debatable to all, coaches included what our best 22 actually is.

I reckon we need to keep trying guys until we can settle on the right combo
Ari, might have some deficiencies, but heck, he gets plenty of the pill, (must read it well) & his wow kicking can do some damage. Just don't put him on a contested beast, just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back