Preview Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG - Sunday 26th May, 3.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know, wings never get huge numbers in the VFL. Probably because the game is naturally more of a chaos ball game and the ball tends to be sent forward with as few possession chains as possible to avoid turn over.
In years gone by didn’t they play without wings in the VFA. Used to have 16 players a team not eighteen.

I went back and looked at our first couple of weeks stats. Steele was flying. Crouch was restricted but still adding about 5 clearances a week. We had Geelong beaten before that controversial Danger free kick where he tripped over one of our players and kicked a goal.

We knocked of Collingwood with Max King flying. 3 goals straight and 15 touches against them (4.1 from Higgins). 17 disposals and 2.4 to go along with 94 AF points making King our 4th most effective player against the Cats.

Lost Crouch, Henry and Wood against the Pies and never really resettled. Then without Snags and Butler and Seb Ross dropping away hard we really just lost our competitiveness. Players like Henry and Wood haven't recaptured their early form from the lay off too.
This is also why us playing this horrendous shit slow stagnant footy is so yuck. I get it, the cattle blah blah blah but we havent lost all the guys who can move the ****ing ball.

This is also why us playing this horrendous s*t slow stagnant footy is so yuck. I get it, the cattle blah blah blah but we havent lost all the guys who can move the ****** ball.
According to a lot of supporters and rtb himself that isn’t the way he wants or trains them to play. They’re doing it themselves.
The players aren’t backing themselves in nor are they working for each other.

According to a lot of supporters and rtb himself that isn’t the way he wants or trains them to play. They’re doing it themselves.
The players aren’t backing themselves in nor are they working for each other.
I dont buy that. Ross history shows this is his footy and i can actually see why he would implement it with the injury list weve got (without agreeing with it or liking it).

This is also why us playing this horrendous s*t slow stagnant footy is so yuck. I get it, the cattle blah blah blah but we havent lost all the guys who can move the ****** ball.

My guess is those outside players have to work harder closer to the middle and defend harder so lose their natural loose game that allows them to get out into space.

Geelong looked absolute shit at times last year straight off a flag with a few key injuries. Losing key pieces strains other areas. Tipping over the amount of experienced operators and bringing in too much youth at once also affects performance. I think they were saying our recent age profile looks more like Hawks, North etc who are in full rebuild mode.

It will be interesting to see how the Pies get through their injury patch. The Tigers still have a decent core and look like a 8th to 15th type side on paper but can't get guys on the park. All lists have a topple over point. I think we found ours.

According to a lot of supporters and rtb himself that isn’t the way he wants or trains them to play.

If only we hadn’t p1ssed off all those thin skinned track watchers

I dont buy that. Ross history shows this is his footy and i can actually see why he would implement it with the injury list weve got (without agreeing with it or liking it).

Kids do tend to go conservative if they are scared of upsetting the coaches. Bevo is like the positive guy who is all about learning from mistakes and making them is an over-all positive. Lyon is from the school of don't put yourself in the position where mistakes are likely to occur.

Even at his most rigid he had a few with licence to step outside of the system and have a shot or take risks. If you don't have stars that benefit is a lot less obvious. You'd rather Stevie Milne having a low percentage snap than Riley Bonner trying to slice open the corridor with a 60 meter kick.

Kids do tend to go conservative if they are scared of upsetting the coaches. Bevo is like the positive guy who is all about learning from mistakes and making them is an over-all positive. Lyon is from the school of don't put yourself in the position where mistakes are likely to occur.

Even at his most rigid he had a few with licence to step outside of the system and have a shot or take risks. If you don't have stars that benefit is a lot less obvious. You'd rather Stevie Milne having a low percentage snap than Riley Bonner trying to slice open the corridor with a 60 meter kick.
Everyone goes to what they know under pressure. Ross included.

Ross has actually said the total opposite this year (from memory it was after Bonner had made a few crucial turnovers).

Wants them to take risks, move & run.

Which is very hard to do when you've got guys who can't hit targets and a midfield that can't get & then retain possession.

2020 or 2023 Butler walks back in, but he does seem the kind who needs a few weeks under his belt at least before he is at his best.

But it's no accident the Butler's two best seasons at the club are the two seasons we made finals in the last decade. He's very important when playing at his best.

I think he needs weeks at Sandy.
If the choice is Paton applying forward defensive pressure or Butler getting fit in the firsts then I'm choosing Butler.

Ross has actually said the total opposite this year (from memory it was after Bonner had made a few crucial turnovers).

Wants them to take risks, move & run.

Which is very hard to do when you've got guys who can't hit targets and a midfield that can't get & then retain possession.

He can say it but not mean it. Based on his body of work to date, he's never been a coach that favours acts of individual brilliance. He likes rigid adherence to structures and systems.

If Lyon was a car he'd be a midsized Audi sedan or something dull and German..... Bevo would be something like a 1970s Alpha that spends half it's time off the road but when he goes it looks sweet and exciting.

Fly would be more your Tesla or something. New and different but at the end of the day he's still just a car after a shitload of hype. Still his fans jizz at how awesome he is even if for everyone else the gloss is wearing off a bit.

Vossy is like an old Commodore, reliable but unsophisticated and a bit heavy on the juice.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at our first couple of weeks stats. Steele was flying. Crouch was restricted but still adding about 5 clearances a week. We had Geelong beaten before that controversial Danger free kick where he tripped over one of our players and kicked a goal.

We knocked of Collingwood with Max King flying. 3 goals straight and 15 touches against them (4.1 from Higgins). 17 disposals and 2.4 to go along with 94 AF points making King our 4th most effective player against the Cats.

Lost Crouch, Henry and Wood against the Pies and never really resettled. Then without Snags and Butler and Seb Ross dropping away hard we really just lost our competitiveness. Players like Henry and Wood haven't recaptured their early form from the lay off too.
We have no chance of beating anyone with our midfield the way it is - the only person who doing anything is Marshall.
Anyway things can change and hopefully it does once a in form Crouch is up and running - it might not get us to dominate the midfield but it could help us break even at best and that is far better than what we a serving up now.
With Crouch back it might lessen the work load on Steele and get him to be more threatening when he has the ball.

We start getting it out of the middle quick it might open up our midfield and give us far more opportunity than what the forwards are getting now.

In saying all this the team needs to settle and start to get some method in the game plan , we have been changing the line the past few weeks so much it is not really giving the players time to gel into a good system of football.

If the choice is Paton applying forward defensive pressure or Butler getting fit in the firsts then I'm choosing Butler.
Butler has been over 3 tackles per game each year of his career and over 4 each of 2022 and 2023. He's at 2.5 this season.

So far this year the Butler we want isn't the Butler we have.

We kicked 8 goals on the weekend and Paton had two goal assists. Let Butler regain some form, because if he doesn't, he's not very useful at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe the contested stuff isn't darcy's go right now, but I haven't seen enough evidence to say for sure. Not saying we need to play him full time in the guts, but wilson has a lot of similarities with walsh who does a pretty good job of it, so I'd be open to a few stints a game, especially when our midfield is completely flat footed and reactive like we were against freo

maybe the contested stuff isn't darcy's go right now, but I haven't seen enough evidence to say for sure. Not saying we need to play him full time in the guts, but wilson has a lot of similarities with walsh who does a pretty good job of it, so I'd be open to a few stints a game, especially when our midfield is completely flat footed and reactive like we were against freo

From what I can tell he's going fine. He is averaging 5.4 contested possession per game, had 11 against North.

You wouldn't expect him to win any more than that playing on a wing. In fact his contest numbers for an outside runner stack up well when you consider its his first year.

He can say it but not mean it. Based on his body of work to date, he's never been a coach that favours acts of individual brilliance. He likes rigid adherence to structures and systems.

If Lyon was a car he'd be a midsized Audi sedan or something dull and German..... Bevo would be something like a 1970s Alpha that spends half it's time off the road but when he goes it looks sweet and exciting.

Fly would be more your Tesla or something. New and different but at the end of the day he's still just scar after a shitload of hype. Still his fans jizz at how awesome he is even if for everyone else the gloss is wearing off a bit.

Vossy is like an old Commodore, reliable but unsophisticated and a bit heavy on the juice.
Please do all the coaches as cars. Ken = volvo?

Listening to Joey suggest Higgins to get a run through the midfield, makes me think.. is wilson being pigeonholed as a wing? could we give him a run through the midfield? He's strong and quick, can run all day, good decision maker and a penetrating kick.. why not give him a run?

I remember stavro saying a while back that the club wants Wilson to move inside in a couple of years. Clearly he'll be great on the wing, but it's an interesting thought given his talent and our deficiencies. That collision with Wardlaw is not the action of a soft pure-outside player...

I remember stavro saying a while back that the club wants Wilson to move inside in a couple of years. Clearly he'll be great on the wing, but it's an interesting thought given his talent and our deficiencies. That collision with Wardlaw is not the action of a soft pure-outside player...
Where is Stav. Is he still here or #doingitforgeorge ?

There's a 4 minute p0rn video of Harley Reid breaking tackles like he's traipsing through a field of flowers on the AFL website atm.
Really hope that Matteus watches the video and picks up some inspiration and a few tips on how to do it well.

There's a 4 minute p0rn video of Harley Reid breaking tackles like he's traipsing through a field of flowers on the AFL website atm.
Really hope that Matteus watches the video and picks up some inspiration and a few tips on how to do it well.
Reid is a natural midfielder, is super quick off the mark and a gut-runner, and has a stronger, harder body for a younger player. Pou just isn't that kind of person..forget this midfield fantasy.

Reid is a natural midfielder, is super quick off the mark and a gut-runner, and has a stronger, harder body for a younger player. Pou just isn't that kind of person..forget this midfield fantasy.

Reid played juniors like he plays seniors. He was the outstanding talent for the two years leading up to the draft. He bullied the kids a year older than him playing as an underage player and was easily BOG in the country v metro game a year younger than most. If you could have drafted him at 16 you would have been confident that he'd hold up. Pou isn't that guy but it doesn't mean he won't be good.

2020 or 2023 Butler walks back in, but he does seem the kind who needs a few weeks under his belt at least before he is at his best.

But it's no accident the Butler's two best seasons at the club are the two seasons we made finals in the last decade. He's very important when playing at his best.

I think he needs weeks at Sandy.
Interesting perspective. I’d just thrown him back in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back