Preview Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG - Sunday 26th May, 3.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you’re saying is, we’re going to end up having to use our war chest to make our plethora of gops multi millionaires because no one will come to us.

No- the complete opposite infact.

Our GOPs continue to get paid the same GOP wages they are on now.

We literally cash in our spare cap money to the AFL.
And in return we get extra (presumably) first round draft pick(s).

No- the complete opposite infact.

Our GOPs continue to get paid the same GOP wages they are on now.

We literally cash in our spare cap money to the AFL.
And in return we get extra (presumably) first round draft pick(s).
Can that be done? Thought it was use it or lose it.

Just read it in the trade thread. I think we do this. Really frees up picks.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

He at least performed better than what Collard got selected off the week before.... our standards for selection have gotten very low.

But on a serious note, the VFL review highlighted his running power so that must be what has gotten him selected. We want another runner for the wider spaces and despite his large flaws as a player, he is the best runner who played at Sandy.
Agree that Collard is lucky to hold his spot based on last week's performance, however his upside is enormous compared to Byrnes. In my opinion, Byrnes should only be picked if we are down to bare bones as a result of injuries.

Remember, finishing 6 or 7 spots on the ladder might mean the difference between drafting Max King or instead drafting Zak Butters.

So Crouch plays half a game for Sandy to get some touch?

The idea of swapping Pou in and out of the firsts every other week is an interesting one. Perhaps there is some merit to it - ya know, get used to the difference in pace and skill, and work from there? He does seem to be lacking time to execute his good skills.

Agree that Collard is lucky to hold his spot based on last week's performance, however his upside is enormous compared to Byrnes. In my opinion, Byrnes should only be picked if we are down to bare bones as a result of injuries.
His upside is irrelevant until he can run out a full game. 41% game time despite being unaffected by the sub just isnt good enough. But hopefully a moot point and he gets dropped tonight.

Remember, finishing 6 or 7 spots on the ladder might mean the difference between drafting Max King or instead drafting Zak Butters.

Butters would be a struggling half forward with a bad attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters would be a struggling half forward with a bad attitude

Another way of making the point I was making. Also, a draft pick will save us is classic St Kilda messiah complex. The solution is in the club right now and available to us. Just start using the large things above everyone's necks.

Can't remember being less interested in a game.

Us v Port for me;

99.98% in SA.
Men v Boys.

Dees you just need to have a late break in momentum and be within 5 goals to pinch the game at present.

Another way of making the point I was making. Also, a draft pick will save us is classic St Kilda messiah complex. The solution is in the club right now and available to us. Just start using the large things above everyone's necks.

When you lose more than half of your games by single digits- it's wrong to say that a gun draft pick or two isn't the answer.

A petracca/degoey etc type messiah or two (or lack thereof) can most definately be a determining factor in that many close losses

So you think that the Saints are just a hopeless organisation that will inevitably ruin ever good player we draft? And I thought I was negative.

If we can't do it as well as others. Steal their people. The Dogs obviously manage their list and draft well.

They've managed to have Ed Richards turn into a gun mid now while they got Naughton in the same draft. We blew 2 picks ahead of theirs on Clark and Coffield.

Steal their development officers if you think they just maximise talent.

So you think that the Saints are just a hopeless organisation that will inevitably ruin ever good player we draft? And I thought I was negative.

If we can't do it as well as others. Steal their people. The Dogs obviously manage their list and draft well.

They've managed to have Ed Richards turn into a gun mid now while they got Naughton in the same draft. We blew 2 picks ahead of theirs on Clark and Coffield.

I more think the point was it doesn't really matter whether we take pick 3, pick 8 or pick 13. The environment they come into and how their talent is developed once they are in the door is far more important than the draft pick number itself.

We've taken plenty of picks at the top end of the draft that haven't turned out the way we wanted while players we've drafted in the teens look far more promising, likely because we have better development systems in place now.

The responsibility is on the people at the club right now. Improve, get better. Don't think for a second that clubs like Geelong and Sydney ever think the key to their success is outside their club. They know they can identify people from outside the club they want to bring in, but if can't get those people, then they just back who they have, and those people back themselves.

IMO if we keep thinking we're one piece away, that piece never comes. And that is a defence mechanism which enables one to sleep at night without really doing what is necessary to achieve the clubs singular key objective: to win the premiership.

The 2016, 2017 and 2021 Premiers are all great examples of what a club and the people inside it can do if they finally accept the responsibility to achieve.

you mean this fella
1716525581387.png

2016, 2017 and 2021 Premiers are all great examples of what a club and the people inside it can do if they finally accept the responsibility to achieve.

Also great examples of how you need truly elite players (which you draft with top 10 picks) in your starting 22 to even compete for, let alone win a flag.

It's not either/or.

It's both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back