Preview Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG - Sunday 26th May, 3.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, um, if today's training is anything to go by I'd be putting money on Dees over 39.

Two things I'm noticing pretty frequently, we are working on our inside 50s but with little pressure most of the guys are missing targets 75% of the time. Second thing I noticed is they really work a lot on their handball game in close. Thing that worries me is the number of times they are getting caught up with a defensive unit going at half pace to get structure right. We just looked so off today, little pressure but lots of skill errors.

I actually enjoyed it more when the players currently at Sandy were split off and went down the other end. Clark, Pou, Crouch and Arie were actually good to watch.

No sign of Hastie and Garcia, assuming rested and that could be why we aren't smashing them with senior appearances.

I have to say Darcy Wilson amazes me. Kid is so quick, so fleet footed, so clean and accurate. Today especially, he showed up everyone out there.

Higgins also showed that he has a footy brain good enough to deal with our inside 50s. I know his kicking can be frustrating but he had a good session.

I wish I could be more positive, but the general demeanour was flat and sloppy.

The defenders are solid, but midfield and forwardline seem to be so far off the boil at the moment.

“Seb Ross has rejoined Euro-Yroke’s line-up for Sunday’s match against Narrm at the MCG, coming in as one of three changes for the second and final week of Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

Ross was named on the extended bench as part of yesterday’s squad announcement, and has since been named on-field in place of Ryan Byrnes, who has been selected as an emergency.

Jack Higgins (suspension) and Liam Stocker (managed) return from their respective absences in time for Round 11, with Mattaes Phillipou, Ben Paton and Zak Jones all omitted.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collard still in the team surprises me with Higgins back. Byrnes is emergency, so we can put the pitchforks away temporarily.
I'm not going to sit on the fence. We are either going to lose this game, or we are going to win it.

The responsibility is on the people at the club right now. Improve, get better. Don't think for a second that clubs like Geelong and Sydney ever think the key to their success is outside their club. They know they can identify people from outside the club they want to bring in, but if can't get those people, then they just back who they have, and those people back themselves.

IMO if we keep thinking we're one piece away, that piece never comes. And that is a defence mechanism which enables one to sleep at night without really doing what is necessary to achieve the clubs singular key objective: to win the premiership.

The 2016, 2017 and 2021 Premiers are all great examples of what a club and the people inside it can do if they finally accept the responsibility to achieve.

We don't have the high end talent of other sides. You seemed to agree that Zac Butters would be spud at St Kilda. That says you think we are doomed to fail no matter what we do.

If we are struggling to turn talented kids into good players we need new staff. If we aren't finding talent in the draft we get better recruiters. It isn't hard.

Collingwood, the Pies and most other top clubs have top end talent and a depth of experienced players. We lack top end. We need to add it, some might be here already but we need to keep drafting and adding talent. We are probably going to need a gun player or two to move forward in any real way.

Why pick Monty on an extended bench only to not select him?
**** we do some weird things these days.
Hope Collard gets a touch. Has hardly touched a ball in the last few weeks.

I more think the point was it doesn't really matter whether we take pick 3, pick 8 or pick 13. The environment they come into and how their talent is developed once they are in the door is far more important than the draft pick number itself.

We've taken plenty of picks at the top end of the draft that haven't turned out the way we wanted while players we've drafted in the teens look far more promising, likely because we have better development systems in place now.

We just picked really really badly and made no effort to change anything. We threw away 20 years of drafting due to incompetence. All clubs get a few wrong but we got nearly everyone wrong.

We rushed Crouch back and set him back 10 weeks, so not surprised he is being eased back into it. Clark I assume the same, these 2 are in our best 10 players when fit
Clark is not remotely close to being in our top 10 players. He has been given all the chances in the world.

Has he ever had 30 possessions as a midfielder. I seriously doubt it. Just can't get his hands on the pill. His opponent on the other hand is guaranteed a day out.

Not AFL standard unfortunately.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark is not remotely close to being in pur top 10 players. He has been given all the chances in the world.

Has he ever had 30 possessions as a midfielder. I seriously doubt it. Just can't get his hands on the pill. His opponent on the other hand is guaranteed a day out.

Not AFL standard unfortunately.

Yeah, I'd say he is a fringe player who probably gets delisted to be honest. If he can't get into the side and impact he's at the point that you'd wonder if it's worth persisting with him. We'd be better with Will Snelling or a state league mid.

Wow Collard is fortunate to retain his place in the side even if he is the sub. I guess being sub gives him 30 minutes of footy, only slightly less than he had in an entire game last week. Sandringham are going to have a decent side this week, I wonder how that side would go against the AFL side.

Sharman is the another of Lyon's latest projects, he subs him out most games yet keeps playing him. He obviously sees something?

Wow Collard is fortunate to retain his place in the side even if he is the sub. I guess being sub gives him 30 minutes of footy, only slightly less than he had in an entire game last week. Sandringham are going to have a decent side this week, I wonder how that side would go against the AFL side.

Sharman is the another of Lyon's latest projects, he subs him out most games yet keeps playing him. He obviously sees something?
well liked him last year.

Also great examples of how you need truly elite players (which you draft with top 10 picks) in your starting 22 to even compete for, let alone win a flag.

It's not either/or.

It's both

They don't all come that high but your chances of finding them there are majorly increased.

Last years Brownlow top votes at each club, Laird- rookie list, Dawson -trade pick 56 original draft pick. Neale- trade originally pick 58. Cripps pick 13. Curnow pick 12. Daicos FS pick 4. Serong pick 8. Cameron- Trade-underage selection Giants, Dangerfield pick 10. Anderson pick 2. Newcombe- rookie draft. Sicily- pick 56. Petracca pick 2, Viney FS pick 26. LDU pick 4. Butters pick 12. Rozee pick 5. Taranto pick 2, Bolton 29. Gulden academy pick 32, Warner 39. Kelly 24. Bont pick 4, Libba FS pick 40. Sinclair- rookie. Crouch trade mini draft pick 2.

Nice, i approve of the changes.

Collard, Sharman and King lucky to be still named!

Also EAD Bonner haters, the seagull lives!

Dance Clubbing GIF by Coop Prix - fort gjort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back