Autopsy Round 12, 2022: Hawks pipped by Magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say that Gunston staying on the ground after hurting his foot/ankle was not a good move. Could not chase, could not jump and contest marks.

Should have been subbed off so we could have got Howe on the field and really had someone to blame for the loss.

Subbing a small for a tall is a no brainer in the wet. Still baffles me that we didn't pull the trigger.

You think we were ready and switched on yesterday?
We were not ready for collingwoods pressure. I feel they pressured us into error we were on the back foot trying to execute trying too hard perhaps. Turn overs kill u in modern football. Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. We were probably complicating our ball movement. We adjusted and improved. The game is 4 qtrs. You could definitely say we didnt turn up last week

View attachment 1417741

This ball from Shiels was the key. Hits that handball to Nash and we're on. Misses, as it did, and it's repeat stoppages and out of time.
He was under pressure, but this was the play we needed to hit.
Nash fell over anyway from it looks like a tangle of legs with the Collingwood player

You’re harping on a bit.

But I disagree with you;
A number of posters here disagree with you; and
A large section of the broader football community disagree with you.
you can disagree with the overall merits of having that rule as a rule, but that is precisely what the rule was brought in for.

Simply claiming "it's not a good look and all my mates agree with me" isn't the slam dunk you seem to think it is

Arrrrgggghh we gave up too much and lacked the composure when it mattered.

Hardwick, Sicily, Bramble were awesome all day long.
Mitch Lewis - even when he didn't have the footy was doing awesome things. Seeing his development is an absolute treat.

Newcombe's second half was incredible.

We had a good crack - not as disappointed as I normally would be
Mitch Lewis is developing into some sort of player - he is so good.

This all a bit hard to take.

We were crucified by the umpires yesterday, especially in the first half.
That deliberate out of bounds not paid to us near our goals in the 2nd quarter was just laughable. The Collingwood player when tackled ran straight for the boundary (holding the ball) and when he realized he couldn't reach the boundary, just threw the ball over the line from about 2 metres away. If an umpire can't fairly call a free as obvious as that, then he should simply not be umpiring AFL. And if that umpire ignores such an obvious free, there's a second umpire nearby who can step in and make the correct decision.

And the ridiculous in the back charity given to Ginnivan in the first quarter when he dove forward when tackled. A goal to Coll'wood.

Picking up on Clarkson's line a few years ago, yesterday we had close to 70 tackles (way more than Coll'wood) and yet hardly any holding the ball or illegal disposal. Just ridiculous.

And yet in the wash up today, the story is not the clear advantage Coll'wood got from the umpires yesterday, it's how badly the umpires treated the blond stager Ginnivan. This is the same Ginnivan who's kicked approx 50% of his goals this year from frees!!

Umpiring is becoming a real turn-off in watching AFL. Admittedly part of the problem is that we have rules which are so fine line - and open to a whole range of interpretation. Such as the prior opportunity / holding the ball rule. And the definition of "handball". In pack situations, I reckon 50 plus % of disposals are technically illegal. And then there's the fine distinction between a fair tackle from behind and in the back.

There's no doubt that our complexity of rules (including the new rules the AFL chooses to introduce every year, to complicate the rule book even further) is far more difficult to interpret, compared to any other world sport. I don't envy the job that umpires have to do, particularly when the AFL introduces (via the all time great umpire whinger Scott) 50 metre penalties for raising an eye brow at an umpire's decision or a 50 metre penalty for lifting your heel when standing on the mark or when the man on the mark takes a half step to the left when the player with the ball fakes a hand ball. But it's the complete inconsistently in rule interpretations that's really doing my head in.

For me it's getting to the stage where it's best to watch from home, because at least then you can walk out of the room or change channels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the one that pissed me off most was calling for the handball in the 3rd quarter (?from Reeves near forward 50) then promptly getting tackled and giving up htb, still outside forward 50
Reeves should have kicked for goal immediately. No one was anywhere near the goal square and in the rain a good chance to skid through. Otherwise would have been a foot race.

That’s what I mean. He appeared clearly injured - why didn’t the medicos make the call? It’s not amateur footy where I guy can stay on for his mate.
Could argue this lost us the game, Howes fresh legs in the second half would of been handy. However, a goal in it, its 50/50 result really, we don't harm our draft position. Still some high picks and were away. Were showing enough

It used to be inconsistency between rounds, then between games but the inconsistency within a game is as bad as I can recall. It’s like the umpires have no idea what’s the right interpretation. Let some stuff go then ping the same situation 2 mins later. Or 5 secs later based on free at the end of game.

It’s destroying the game.
Was talking today about this. Ten years ago I could watch a game and understand pretty much every free kick given. Nowadays too many times myself and others are going "What was that for?" and looking at replay and then repeating "What WAS that for?".

Could argue this lost us the game, Howes fresh legs in the second half would of been handy. However, a goal in it, its 50/50 result really, we don't harm our draft position. Still some high picks and were away. Were showing enough

The past 4-5 years about this time, I see chat about us finishing low and getting an early pick and we come home with late wins and push our draft position out .

I don’t believe the Hawthorn FC ever thinks about draft positions to be honest .

Forgot the most annoying part for me - there was a Pies supporter behind me who was desperate to get the nickname he'd thought of for Ginnivan up. Guinea pig. Idiot kept yelling it out so often to the point I moved at half time.

We were not ready for collingwoods pressure. I feel they pressured us into error we were on the back foot trying to execute trying too hard perhaps. Turn overs kill u in modern football. Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. We were probably complicating our ball movement. We adjusted and improved. The game is 4 qtrs. You could definitely say we didnt turn up last week
To me it looked like they players had been given the instruction to give an extra handball. It was happening all over the ground and it was excruciating to watch. A number of them motioned to kick then would seem to remember and then give the handball to what was a wrong option.

What frustrated me the most was our dump kicks out of D50 but then also that we never adjusted our setup outside the D50 to account for them happening repeatedly. Mitchell would no doubt be filthy with our dump kicks, but at the same time he didn't make any adjustments to this pattern of play and even more disappointing is that none of the players on the ground took it upon themselves to address it with their teammates either. We did lack on field leadership in the backline in the last quarter in the mad scramble.

Had another look. It was Morrison who MacDonald burned with that late left foot snap. He would've walked it in and put us 14 points up. Instead goes down the other end for the DeGoey goal. Game on again.
Happy for the young guys to make these costly mistakes now in a season like this. As long as they learn from them.

To me it looked like they players had been given the instruction to give an extra handball. It was happening all over the ground and it was excruciating to watch. A number of them motioned to kick then would seem to remember and then give the handball to what was a wrong option.

What frustrated me the most was our dump kicks out of D50 but then also that we never adjusted our setup outside the D50 to account for them happening repeatedly. Mitchell would no doubt be filthy with our dump kicks, but at the same time he didn't make any adjustments to this pattern of play and even more disappointing is that none of the players on the ground took it upon themselves to address it with their teammates either. We did lack on field leadership in the backline in the last quarter in the mad scramble.
Sam mentioned in the post match that he and the other coaches didn't understand why our team was handballing so much as it was not a direction they were given.

Sam mentioned in the post match that he and the other coaches didn't understand why our team was handballing so much as it was not a direction they were given.
Ok good. Thanks for clarifying. It was bloody horrible to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back