Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this pic on the main board yesterday and thought, it looks like definitely an accident, Mckay‘s arm was hanging loosely by his side so he hasn’t even braced himself & his feet hadn’t left the ground, my apologise to StCicatriz you were right, I was wrong.
So although the AFL want to get rid of head high contact, this judging by the pic is/was an accident, so no case to answer to.

E1649691-17C1-42E4-BC27-DDED1A17E099.jpeg

What happens if roo goes for that amazing mark he took and instead of just hitting Milne knocks him out. Does he get suspended because we don’t want concussion.

You want to compare to 17 years ago before the effects of chronic traumatic encephalopathy were known and before massive class actions by ex footballers because administrations allowed head shots to go unchecked.

Unbelievably ignorant

You want to compare to 17 years ago before the effects of chronic traumatic encephalopathy were known and before massive class actions by ex footballers because administrations allowed head shots to go unchecked.

Unbelievably ignorant
Not at all.

It is as an example being used not suggesting the fact he would not have been suspended 17 years ago proves anything.

If that effort for a mark happens in today's game and they gets someone in the head and causes concussion should it be a reportable offence?

Unbelievably ignorant
What has your comment got to do with what we’re actually discussing. And I will give you a tip. Putting people down doesn’t make your comments right

Now I will explain as you couldn’t be bothered seeing what I was replying to. A person was saying that dangerous marking attempts which roo was could eventually be illegal because of concussion. I was giving an example of the stupidity of this because you can’t stop concussions or you are going to suspend players from your own team if we went down that path. The fact that it was 17 years is irrelevant. It was an example. Players can still to this day do exactly what roo did and will not be cited. It’s not hard to understand. Well for most as you obviously didn’t.

Not at all.

It is as an example being used not suggesting the fact he would not have been suspended 17 years ago proves anything.

If that effort for a mark happens in today's game and they gets someone in the head and causes concussion should it be a reportable offence?
Didn’t read your comment but that’s pretty much my exact reply.

Saw this pic on the main board yesterday and thought, it looks like definitely an accident, Mckay‘s arm was hanging loosely by his side so he hasn’t even braced himself & his feet hadn’t left the ground, my apologise to StCicatriz you were right, I was wrong.
So although the AFL want to get rid of head high contact, this judging by the pic is/was an accident, so no case to answer to.

View attachment 1157606
Yeah I know - an accident - how would Mackay even begin to think he is going to be second to the ball

1623967837936.png

1623967759412.png

What happens if roo goes for that amazing mark he took and instead of just hitting Milne knocks him out. Does he get suspended because we don’t want concussion.
You know that I don’t have an issue with the non suspension but how on earth is this comparison helping.

Roo got the ball and Milne is his teammate.
Mackay didn’t get the ball and hit an opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all.

It was a marking contest. He got there and marked the ball. No problems. It's not as if he arrived late, didn't even touch the ball and smashed somebody's jaw.

You know that I don’t have an issue with the non suspension but how on earth is this comparison helping.

Roo got the ball and Milne is his teammate.
Mackay didn’t get the ball and hit an opponent.
You need to read there lead up of what I was replying to because obviously without context it’s ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the Mackay incident it was how a person saw the game heading.

Yeah I know - an accident - how would Mackay even begin to think he is going to be second to the ball

View attachment 1157628

View attachment 1157627
You mean by expecting berry to lay a sheperd and knock Clark off the line to collect unimpeded? Still photos arent a great defense - when played through the vision shows the ball bounce and accelerate towards McKay. Which is why there was only 4 hundreths of a second difference between both players getting to the ball even though in the above shots the ball is twice as close to Hunter.
This is a football injury - shocking in its outcome - but a football injury nevertheless. The was no rule broken.
Unfortuneately the AFL do not use precedence and we cannot claim the Ben Long "potential to cause injury" line. They take everything on a case by case basis which i believe is wrong and horribly inconsistent. As it currently stands - this is not a rule.
The decision was correct.

Yep already answered that. Rules change every year or nearly every year. The game is better for it. That doesn’t mean you change the game completely to avoid injuries because that would the high mark goes running against the flight of the ball like roo goes and I this case attacking a loose ball from further back than an opponent goes even though you think you could maybe get there first or the ball that can bounce anywhere ask Milne bounces towards you but you have slowed down to make some imaginary tackle.

I would think you are going to see change in the future and people won't stop watching. The leagues around the world are going to make sure they minimise risk so it might be that even the great stuff like going for a mark that knees an opposition player in the head gets a suspension or free kick against them. It's not the league going soft, it will be lawyers going hard. If they don't change things there won't be football long term.

I've fixed this for you

The Sean Darcy hit it looked like Long tried to turn out of the contest and hit him with his arse. It was still the same thing two players go at a ball then one braces as the other gathers leaving them prone. If Long had barrelled in shoulder first he could have put him out for the year.

What has your comment got to do with what we’re actually discussing. And I will give you a tip. Putting people down doesn’t make your comments right

What has Riewoldt taking a mark 17 years ago got to do with the discussion? It is stupid. What happened if <insert player name> pulle dout in 1955 FMD :rolleyes:

I would think you are going to see change in the future and people won't stop watching. The leagues around the world are going to make sure they minimise risk so it might be that even the great stuff like going for a mark that knees an opposition player in the head gets a suspension or free kick against them. It's not the league going soft, it will be lawyers going hard. If they don't change things there won't be football long term.
Yep people will stop watching. Over the top rubbish. Just for your interest the game gets safer nearly every year I tell you when they will stop watching and that’s when you can’t go for a high mark using your knees to lift up. There will be no need for lawyers because no one will be watching thus it’s a sport like soccer in Australia.

I don't watch the footy as much as I used to. I used to watch probably 5 games a weekend but now it's the Saints and maybe one other and even that's sometimes a stretch. I think it's the coverage saturating the game but probably also the constant rule changes.

In this case it was not a reportable offence but overall the footy was better in the 90's. Not sure why.

The Sean Darcy hit it looked like Long tried to turn out of the contest and hit him with his arse. It was still the same thing two players go at a ball then one braces as the other gathers leaving them prone. If Long had barrelled in shoulder first he could have put him out for the year.
Gringo really they couldn’t be less alike and the big difference is one was illegal and one was legal. No one can come up with an even close example of a suspension because there isn’t one.

What has Riewoldt taking a mark 17 years ago got to do with the discussion? It is stupid. What happened if <insert player name> pulle dout in 1955 FMD :rolleyes:

Haha don’t read the context but find a post you don’t rate. Maybe read the lead. We had be like mike as a saying. I’m bringing in don’t be like jb

I don't watch the footy as much as I used to. I used to watch probably 5 games a weekend but now it's the Saints and maybe one other and even that's sometimes a stretch. I think it's the coverage saturating the game but probably also the constant rule changes.

In this case it was not a reportable offence but overall the footy was better in the 90's. Not sure why.
I don’t think you can go by what an individual does. Ratings and crowds apart covid seem to always go up and considering the options that’s bloody good and I do realise there is population increases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back