Review Round 13, 2023 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back from the game and it reminded me of the Dogs game. We didn’t man up - gave them so much space, uncontested marks and we could not buy a tackle! Took too long to bring on Kiddy who at lest tried to shut down Newcomb but the damage was done.

We have such a bad record against Hawthorn but what the hell was going on today?

Hughie going down right in front of we’re I was sitting was sickening - could not see him move and feared the worse. Was anything said at Fagans presser?

Good to see so many lions supporters - especially down near the goals and heaps around me in the AFL.

Went along to the one game a year thats at a reasonable time. Looked slow from the start, but you just figure it’ll turn. Never did. Couldn’t buy a clearance or stop Worpel and Newcomb who we’re just toying with us out of the centre. No desperation, no plan, just let Hawthorn get it, switch it to free men, and then lock it in their forward line.
One of the worst losses in the Clubs history, not just because we were red hot favourites, but we were horrible to watch and showed no interest in trying to turn it around. The same 3 or 4 did well but do every week, the remaining passengers just going along for a free ride.
And Gunston? They can’t be serious if he’s playing next week. He was even worse watching live.

He staggered like a drunken sailor when he got up, Sicily did a sort of sling tackle and it was obscured on the vision but probably hit his head on the ground.

On the replay they showed him landing on his head and the force of being brought to the ground with his arms pinned twisted his head way down onto his chest.

At a very unnatural angle.

Looked baaadddd.

Is a sprained neck a thing?

Some tough questions . What I've been thinking for a while ,not just about today.

Obviously I thought getting Gunston was a backward step because of his capacity. Now I question his effort. Many half hearted attempts to look like he was interested today. Couldn't even be bothered leading most of the time.

What's happened to Kiddy ?? Fallen off a cliff from where he was.

Is Bailey a front runner ? Goes well when we're competitive ,when we're under the pump continually fumbles and overruns the ball.

I don't know what we do with Berry . If he can't play M/F he's a liability on the wing where his finishing and run in that position just isn't up to scratch.

2 physical beasts with acceleration in Rayner and McKenna . Why do we keep them out of the game for long periods when we're struggling in that area.

Oscar is not much of a ruckman. Not questioning his effort ,just his skill. Linc can only play in bursts , tries hard and not questioning his effort either , just his impact.

On the positive Hipwood is showing maturity this year and has a red hot go every week. Payne is awesome. Charlie is trying his guts out as well and just wish we could help him a bit more because the umps don't

I was really disappointed when they started to get a hold of us today and we just didn't step up to the challenge.

It was still close but we were done 3/4 time.

Disappointing to lose especially when you are heavy favourites, but it happens.

Every time we lose it's, season's over, we are ****, player x and y are finished, sack the coach, a lot of it is venting I'm sure.

Geelong were 8-4 last year, they'd lost to St Kilda, Fremantle and Hawthorn.
I think it's the manner in which we lost to a very average team at the MCG when we had everything to play for.

I was bitterly disappointed with our effort today when the pressure was on. We just folded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our next few games >

Swans(H)
Saints(A)
Tigers(H)
Eagles(H)
Demons(A)
Cats(H)

There are now a bunch of teams right on our heels ie. Saints, Crows, Bombers, Dogs, Cats, Dockers, Suns. If we are not careful we could easily drop out of the 8, good thing is 4 of our next 6 are at the Gabba.

Should beat the Swans, Saints and Tigers will be tough, Eagles easy, Demons, Cats tough.

I thought Bailey squibbed a couple of physical contests today. Threw his foot at the ball rather than putting his body on the line. Really bad look. Just not sure where he’s at as a footballer.
He does that a lot, really annoying, there are times to do that but Zac does at inopportune times.

Our next few games >

Swans(H)
Saints(A)
Tigers(H)
Eagles(H)
Demons(A)
Cats(H)

There are now a bunch of teams right on our heels ie. Saints, Crows, Bombers, Dogs, Cats, Dockers, Suns. If we are not careful we could easily drop out of the 8, good thing is 4 of our next 6 are at the Gabba.

Should beat the Swans, Saints and Tigers will be tough, Eagles easy, Demons, Cats tough.
Assuming we win the Gabba games, we will probably start favourite against St Kilda, and Melbourne, if we are up and about we're capable. I'm picking 6/6.

Disappoibting to watch at the G again. We have lost our run and carry from the backline.

Missed Zorko...a lot. Why was Coleman sub again?

Rich has been a great servant but father time has not just caught up but has walked past him.

Gunston is in the same vote as Rich.Fagan - did he have his Hawthorn goggles on when he thought it was a good idea to bring him in. No more Hawthorn players please.

Perhaps our travel routine needs an overhaul. This team can win games of footy - why not in Melbourne? Do they need to train more down here?

I have to be honest, I don't think Siciliy's tackle on McCluggage was that bad... I saw someone in the live thread call it the worst sling tackle they'd ever seen. Hope Hugh is ok.
yep I agree - it was right in front of me and it looked like when Sicily tackled him he got caught up other players coming in and falling on him. I’d be surprised if he got any weeks

Our next few games >

Swans(H)
Saints(A)
Tigers(H)
Eagles(H)
Demons(A)
Cats(H)

Can win all of those. But as today shows, we can also lose to anyone. Except the Eagles.

We need to start a Grumpy Old man clique... must be over 60 and yell at clouds.
We’ve already got one. Only place you’ll read some common sense analysis.

Wait for the medical and all that but you never like the tucked head, weight on the neck etc. Lets hope its just a week or 2 off.

I've really liked how Hugh has grown into the season after his v slow start.

Was hoping Bailey would follow the same trajectory.

Back