Preview Round 13 - Fremantle v Collingwood (Ins and Outs, too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
these were his good away games from last year: 1, 5, 11, 13, 16 and 22.
Career long he doesn't average many more goals per game away from Subi than Taberner. And Taberner has played a few games in his time as a defender.

For me (and looking for the positives) the changes are a clear sign rtb wants the ball to spend most of its thurs evening in freos f50. Ballas, croz, mayne, walters and piggy will put some serious pressure on the contested ball once fyfe, suban, pearced, hill, and mundy send it in. Hopefully this week we can kick straight.

Yep, a touch more pace, a more dynamic forward line and a stack more defensive pressure which Collingwood have been very good at the last month or so.

Not a fan of the changes. Dropping Tabs and going back to Pav, resting ruck and Mayne is not very effective.
Haven't read this thread. Listening to the Collingwood podcast.

Straight up - dropping Tabs is a big mistake. We may come away with this as a win, but that change isn't right. Against GC, yep. Against St Kilda, yep. But not against Collingwood.
Mayne in is a huge plus. No doubt. And we need Ballas, I don't give a flying ... rat's arse what anyone says. He stays in.

Taberner being dropped against Collingwood is not a good move. I can't see how De Boer in and Taberner out is in any way positive.

amusing to see that people who think football is just an offensive game want Ballantyne dropped and probably the same wanted Mayne gone. they are our best defensive pressure players. its getting old that argument and shows an lack of understanding of roles players play in a team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

amusing to see that people who think football is just an offensive game want Ballantyne dropped and probably the same wanted Mayne gone. they are our best defensive pressure players. its getting old that argument and shows an lack of understanding of roles players play in a team
Defence is a minimum standard, laid down over many preseasons and games. Every player on the list with enough seasons under their belt should be equipped with the right mindset.

The edge that has to be gained is kicking goals. Overly defensive teams don't win premierships.

Dropping Tabs is interesting. I think he is vital for our scoring power and we'll miss him...perhaps he needs a small run in the 2's (or a rest)?? Jack Hannath does have 8 goals from 6 games in the WAFL though (the only Freo tall to get a goal in the wet V GC too). Maybe Fyfe to drop forward more often?

Tabs stats don't scream "pick me" as a forward from the last three games.... but stats can be misleading, such a being sub etc...
Tabs V GC: 2K, 4HB, 1Mark - No score (wet)
Tabs V Rich: 10K, 3HB, 3Mark - 1 Goal (loss)
Tabs V Ade: 1K, 4HB, 1Mark - No score (wet)

Can't blame Tabs for any of that i believe, Clarke had far worse stats (but he is out of the side)....I think Ross is living by the mantra 'You play yourself into the side, You play yourself out of the side"...

Mayne needs to lift imo as well, hasn't hit the scoreboard V Ade + Rich and only 2 tackles in those respective games (no real effect as an offensive or defensive forward). Lets hope he can reach his standards VMelb; he had 4 goals and 12 Tackles.

As much as I love Ross, he does overlook class and flair for vanilla far too much.

You hit the nail on the head about playing the percentages, of course you do but there are times, and many of them, where you just have to have a crack if the opportunity arises.
Pretty happy to rely on Lyon's analysis of what works in games here. Spectators like the spectacular. Coaches like wins.

Ross is probably having a look at how Hannath goes at the Tabs role.

He's not playing the tabs role though because nobody was brought in to replace Tabs. We have simply gone without a second tall forward, which is a mistake.

Given he keeps getting selected it makes me wonder if he is following the coaches instruction.
Of course, but if Lyon wants his 100 points per game, top four in offence benchmark, he needs to review his instruction.

Dropping Tabs is interesting. I think he is vital for our scoring power and we'll miss him...perhaps he needs a small run in the 2's (or a rest)?? Jack Hannath does have 8 goals from 6 games in the WAFL though (the only Freo tall to get a goal in the wet V GC too). Maybe Fyfe to drop forward more often?

Tabs stats don't scream "pick me" as a forward from the last three games.... but stats can be misleading, such a being sub etc...
Tabs V GC: 2K, 4HB, 1Mark - No score (wet)
Tabs V Rich: 10K, 3HB, 3Mark - 1 Goal (loss)
Tabs V Ade: 1K, 4HB, 1Mark - No score (wet)

Can't blame Tabs for any of that i believe, Clarke had far worse stats (but he is out of the side)....I think Ross is living by the mantra 'You play yourself into the side, You play yourself out of the side"...

Mayne needs to lift imo as well, hasn't hit the scoreboard V Ade + Rich and only 2 tackles in those respective games (no real effect as an offensive or defensive forward). Lets hope he can reach his standards VMelb; he had 4 goals and 12 Tackles.

If they wanted to play Hannath as a forward they should have brought Clarke back to play as 2nd ruck. What we have done is simply gone without a 2nd tall, which is a mistake. You can trust in Lyon all you want but I don't think he's magically come up with a formula better than the one that every team has used for 100 years (2 tall forwards, 2 ruckmen.)

I haven't had the chance to see how everyone is lining up on the ground, but maybe Hannath is meant to be our forward/ruck who will then give Sandi a chop out in the ruck, and adding another mid in deBoer, who is pretty good inside and can win his own ball in the center, will hopefully allow Fyfe to drift forward for large parts of the game? Mayne to maybe be used down back as support to A Pearce; Croz, Pav, and Ballas rounding up the forward line, then Clancee to play more in the middle? Is that possible?

Sorry, I'm not as knowledgeable as the rest of you in terms of positioning and Collingwood players, so please don't rubbish me. :p

I'm all for needing a second KPF in the side. But at the same time, that player has to actually give us something. You can't just play any 195cm player, simply because they are tall. Taberner has been a passenger in a lot of games, granted the weather has not helped him on occasions. It is understandable to try and get him to find some form/confidence in the WAFL (Peel has the bottom of the ladder 1-11 side), and then bring him back.

If we can't beat Collingwood with the side named, there are serious problems that bringing Taberner back will not fix.

I'm all for needing a second KPF in the side. But at the same time, that player has to actually give us something. You can't just play any 195cm player, simply because they are tall. Taberner has been a passenger in a lot of games, granted the weather has not helped him on occasions. It is understandable to try and get him to find some form/confidence in the WAFL (Peel has the bottom of the ladder 1-11 side), and then bring him back.

Yeah, that is the conundrum. Even the most one eyed Taberner supporter should know that he is in the team because he is 195+ though. He's not in the 22 best footballers at this club. However I think to an extent we do need to play him simply because he is tall. You need to draw that 2nd/3rd tall defender away from Pav and you need someone to lead up from CHF and take those marks.

We'll beat the pies anyway (or our season has truly taken a downturn), so I think there is a justification for allowing him to find some form and kick some goals in the WAFL. Bit rough given his reduced output has come in two horrifically wet games though.

The sooner Mzungu and Duffield find form the better. Leading into September and in September, we need those two in our team. We will be a much better team when Ross stops gifting Sheridan games and actually plays Mzungu/Duffield, so boys, please start dominating for Peel.

Taberner is not best 22 and yes, he probably is getting games on the basis of his height rather than his form. However, he really will not develop into the player we need him to be if we just keep playing him in the WAFL. Due to our KPF issue, we need to fast track his development, and there are things that AFL experience can only teach. That and structure is the reason we have been playing him. Fortunately, we have a team that is strong enough to carry him while he learns. He's a rookie pick tall, there would be no way we would get him so cheaply if he was the type of player that could slot in and make an impact consistently this early in his career.

Tabs has probably been dropped to find form and confidence in the WAFL as much as we are also trying to fast track Hannath at AFL level to see if we can get something out of him as a forward or if he's not worth persisting with. Big Jack's kicking is pretty spot on, and he plays with a lot of heart and intent - just lacking the leap, tank, and agility of Zac Clarke. I think he has more forward nous though. If we could somehow combine Jack and Zac into one single player, our KPF problems would be pretty much solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back