Autopsy Round 14, 2021: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tassie love affair finished a long time ago. Have a look at the crowds. We have been lucky to get 10,000 to games.

If it wasn’t for the 5 mill we receive each year we would have packed up and moved back to the G a long time ago.
Crowd was a ripping result, you know it was first in booking gets tickets? We get 500k a game plus the gate if there is an extra game beyond the first 4 contracted, the more paying the better so brilliant result. Bit stiff in the end on ground but the guys who can’t quite play still can’t and we debuted another who either might or can.

Perfect result; an honorable loss.

Called it before the game that we wouldn't win playing along the boundary line. Bombers were there for the taking as they tried their run-and-gun style on a ground that's not suited to it. Bombers suck at midfield defensive running and accountability, which is why we stayed so close for the whole game, but we were never going to win unless we attacked the corridor and gained that territorial advantage.
Shits me to tears when we take a mark at CHB and turn and kick it sideways to the boundary. That kick only benefits the opposition.

Newcombe got a rude awakening playing against a side that weren't standing around not running this week.

TOB's EXPERIENCE of continually dropping marks for our, ummm, invisible smalls to rove to was fantastic. Just kidding, he was hopeless... again.

Impey was good, but every time he tried running the ball, he had to stop, prop and go sideways because we don't have support run or players from the forward line leading up to him. Scrimshaw experienced this too although he didn't run it much.

One of those 'what-if' games.

Perfect result; an honorable loss.

Called it before the game that we wouldn't win playing along the boundary line. Bombers were there for the taking as they tried their run-and-gun style on a ground that's not suited to it. Bombers suck at midfield defensive running and accountability, which is why we stayed so close for the whole game, but we were never going to win unless we attacked the corridor and gained that territorial advantage.
Shits me to tears when we take a mark at CHB and turn and kick it sideways to the boundary. That kick only benefits the opposition.

Newcombe got a rude awakening playing against a side that weren't standing around not running this week.

TOB's EXPERIENCE of continually dropping marks for our, ummm, invisible smalls to rove to was fantastic. Just kidding, he was hopeless... again.

Impey was good, but every time he tried running the ball, he had to stop, prop and go sideways because we don't have support run or players from the forward line leading up to him. Scrimshaw experienced this too although he didn't run it much.

One of those 'what-if' games.
Truly amazing that you were correct. Kudos to you mate.

Did you also predict that we would have more shots on goal but still lose?

The fact that Stringer had such an influence is a failure of our systems. Someone should have shut him the f**k down. I'm sure we can do that. Of course poor kicking and the lack of scoreboard pressure is a huge factor. I don't think we played that badly, just lost key moments.
Stringer is 6'3 , 100+ kgs and explosive. They knew and he knew we had noone capable of physically going with him.
All his play was him bulldozing through our young light players .

He had a day out , was cr@p to watch but we are susceptible to that type of player currently.

Stringer is 6'3 , 100+ kgs and explosive. They knew and he knew we had noone capable of physically going with him.
All his play was him bulldozing through our young light players .

He had a day out , was cr@p to watch but we are susceptible to that type of player currently.

He will do his hammy next week . Put money on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised at the negativity. These are the sort of games and efforts people we’re crying out for rounds 5-11, and what most posters seem to say they’ll be happy with before each game. “Don’t expect we’ll win but if we put in 100% and our kids play well then that’s all I can ask for”.

Hurts losing to the scum but a lot of things went right and had we kicked straight we win, it’s that simple.

Same, perhaps because it's the bombers.
We are 17th on the ladder for a reason but today had those set shot at 2nd quarter score goals instead of behinds, the stories will be different.

I'm actually happy with the overall play. Hopefully we can have Reeves and Worpel back next week.

Ceglar is like corona virus ....fake fake fake. wake up
Moore can play but is not
This is so stupid on so many levels, I have to go get a lobotomy now.

Truly amazing that you were correct. Kudos to you mate.

Did you also predict that we would have more shots on goal but still lose?
Well it's a common trend that happens to us. If I did tip that, I'd be tipping the favourite because of how we enter the F50. Mainly because we don't enter the F50 from a central position on the ground so a lot of our shots are from wider angles than our opponents.

Essendon didn't have too many shots from the pockets.

So we setup, with an extra behind the ball, and were happy to lose the clearance right? That's how it looked, and how Lewis explained it. What I don't get is why did we go away from focusing on the contest like we did against the swans?

Big Boy was nowhere forward today. It's going to get hard to justify him in the 22 next year. Odd Captain call. Love the guy but.

Ceglar was utterly smacked. Hopefully teams saw enough from the Swans game and give us something. Reeves is a no brainer in. Surely we look to bring in Jeka for O'Brien. But, been saying that for a bit now.

Kosi continues to show plenty. A real highlight this year. Bruest is a gun.

Impey, Scrimshaw, CJ, Hardwick and Frost were all excellent. Day played is worst game for the club.

Kick straight, or if Stringer doesn't pull a rabbit from his ******* hat, and we probably win today. Disappointed, but reckon it's the best fortnight of footy we have played all year.

Surprised burger didn't wear Stringer like a shirt when he got on top.

We were gallant but clearly dominated in the midfield. If we break even there we win.

the fact is we've just got a few blokes that are a little off it and Essendon's bottom 6-7 today were superior

i thought our top-line players performed up to the same standard as theirs with the exception of Stringer who was UNFORTUNATELY BOG

Duke couldn't back up his R1 performance, Bramble had a nice debut but faded really hard, Moore was uninvolved, Shiels was good on Zerrett but I think we missed his ball-winning capabilities, Cousins had some nice moments but just lacks the polish needed in crunch time, TOB did some good things but wasn't impactful enough, Phillips started excellently but faded as well. Ceglar reverted to the mean, which I'm sure we expected but we had to let him back up his performance vs Sydney. We just had no drive off our wings — literally all of our push was coming from our HB or from Titch/JOM.

It's a weird thing to say, but also really a good thing to take out of this year — we missed Harry this game as much as anyone.

So there's a lot of great pieces that are coming together and it's going to be a rough journey forward, but you can see that we're still missing consistency from a lot of our players. Say Moore/Newcombe plays the same game he did vs Sydney, or Worpel is in as opposed to Cuz, we probably win. It's going to be a week-to-week process where some things will go right and others wrong. Today I honestly thought there was enough good stuff to take out of it to not be too disappointed.

Our backline was simply awesome. Day had those two uncharacteristic turnovers but aside from that they completely negated Essendon's clearance dominance. Tom and JOM were very good, just really needed some help. Howe's ball use was disturbingly good. Kosi looks like a 200 game player at the minute. If we're challenging by 2024 I'm almost certain Breust will be in that side, bloke is timeless.

And for all the negatives it's pretty simple stuff — if we kick straight we win.
Punk's forward craft and nous will hold him in good stead well into his 30s. Reckon he has dropped off slightly overall but I can see him still being very important in the next 2-3 years. Almost exclusively now playing inside 50 and once we become good again he will still be good enough to kick bags because of his forward line craft.

If I was Essendon I would feel that this was a hollow win. If we kicked straight and got a few simple free kicks for front on contact in the F50 we would have won.

haha Essendon will have to pay a boatload more for Stringer (who is putting in his "out of contract" performances).

And Archie Perkins looks a long way off it.

I feel better about the Hawks today than i do the "bright young upcoming bombers".

Probably not ... but difficult to argue against the fact that he tore us a new one today. Wouldn't mind a deadshit like that in our midfield or forward line atm. Outstanding game unfortunately. Bubble burst for Newcombe ... now the grind begins. Can't fault our effort, can fault our skills & structure.

He plays 2 good games a year. Id hate him out our list.

If we kicked straight we would have won. Simple as that.

Breust and Kosi great. Jiath and Impey great. Not sure about the rest.

Reckon a bit of perspective is needed.

All ive heard for the past month is how great Essendons rebuild is , how exciting it is etc
We got pantsed in clearances yet across the rest of the field in play held sway for large parts of the game .
If we didnt fluff our lines with our set shots in the first half , we are probably 3 goals plus up at 1/2 time and talking a different result.

We are playing a large chunk of inexperienced young players too , seems to be easily glossed over.

Everytime we tired their more dynamic powerful players hurt us . We can fix that at the draft and maybe with a good trade .

Thought a few of the young guys who were so good last week , had 2nd week back blues. Thats fine it happens . They will rebound.

Disappointed but pretty hopeful and positive based on the last few weeks.
Thought Bramble didnt look out of place at all.
Keep hearing our kids were bad today yet apart from Jones for them the others had little impact as well. Perkins and Cox in particular. The critics of Jai need to put it in perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

Back