Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Is there anything Pendles can't do? Completely negated Cripps for the majority of the game
Tagging is a nice extra string to his bow. Pendlebury doesn't need much footy to be damaging, so we don't lose impact in the midfield. It may also be a way of extending his career down the track; not that he looks like slowing down.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be fair in that scenario 90% of the time the free goes to the player in Plowman's position, its just he completely shat the bed, took his eyes off the ball then whacked stevo for no real reason

That’s generally because it’s the guy running with the flight who takes their eye off the footy but Stevo’s focus was unwavering. Bravest thing I’ve seen him do career to date. Coupled with the additional forward pressure he brought showed he’d taken being dropped in the right way and his efforts were rewarded.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not much to dislike about that game. It was a good brand of football to watch and if we take that game style into finals we can do some damage. DeGoey would have had a field day with some of those forward entries!

The usual suspects WHE and Phillips continue to frustrate but their good far outweighs their bad. No way they get dropped, breakout games are just around the corner . Patience with Thomas is starting to pay off whilst second chances for Cox and Stevo also freshened them up.

C Brown was ok but probably first to go out as senior players return

Cameron didn’t have a role, and played that non-role badly.

Daicos Thomas Maynard Moore (after half time) Pendlebury Adams (after half time) were outstanding

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Phillips did less damage to us with ball in hand than WHE. WHE got pinned twice and kicked it straight to Walsh 30 out from goal. Killed us in the first 3 quarters

Phillips 2nd & 3rd possessions (after his goal) were handballs out the back of midfield congestion straight onto the chest of a Carlton player in the clear leading to easy F50 entries for them so I’m not sure I see it the same way.

Last edited:

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've got the no.1 defence which wins you flags.

If we can get back to 2018 scoring levels then who knows what the next 2 months can hold for us.
No 1 defence with Howe and Langdon out, crazy. With madge, noble, and IQ improvement this year our defence is why we are in the 8. If we can get Langdon back, we need to release crisp on the wing. Our weaknesses atm are Phillips form on wing, and forward line (which improved yest).

crisp and daicos on the wing 😱

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
JT needs more midfield minutes then pushing forward

Good user of the ball kicking to other players

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
No 1 defence with Howe and Langdon out, crazy. With madge, noble, and IQ improvement this year our defence is why we are in the 8. If we can get Langdon back, we need to release crisp on the wing. Our weaknesses atm are Phillips form on wing, and forward line (which improved yest).

crisp and daicos on the wing 😱
The backline is going to become a selection headache in the finals I reckon. Madgen has earned his spot with some really solid play, and Langdon seems to be a ways off even with a handful of scratch matches under his belt. Regaining Sidebottom, Treloar and Sier might keep Crisp down back. A grouping of Moore, Howe, Maynard, Crisp, Quaynor, Noble, Roughead and Madgen fighting with Langdon is great IMO. Crisp/Noble pushing up into the wing when necessary sounds like a plan!

Would need Madgen to play a few stinkers to get dropped

Phillips 2nd & 3rd possessions (after his goal) were handballs out the back of midfield congestion straight onto the chest of a Carlton player in the clear leading to easy F50 entries for them so I’m not sure I see it the same way.
It was like both Carlton (kick out straight to him for the goal) and Phillips thought he was wearing a blue jumper.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was WHE's worst game for the club, was good last week so wouldnt drop.
Phillips has been very poor recently, I would have dropped him after last week

Hosky's inconsistency is frustrating.

However you have to take into account the position he plays. Commentators quite often talk about the medium forward role being one of the hardest to play.

I think he's at his best taking marks up on the wing. He's a good link man between our defence and forward line.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The backline is going to become a selection headache in the finals I reckon. Madgen has earned his spot with some really solid play, and Langdon seems to be a ways off even with a handful of scratch matches under his belt. Regaining Sidebottom, Treloar and Sier might keep Crisp down back. A grouping of Moore, Howe, Maynard, Crisp, Quaynor, Noble, Roughead and Madgen fighting with Langdon is great IMO. Crisp/Noble pushing up into the wing when necessary sounds like a plan!

Would need Madgen to play a few stinkers to get dropped
Madge def earnt his spot as third tall. His rightful position. Haven’t seen any updates in langdon, would be nice to know what’s going on. Been playing scratch matches but haven’t seen much. Maybe just getting him ready for next year, if that’s so all good but would be nice to know. I think with Langdon and Howe back, might give us opportunity to ultilise some differently. I’m open to sidey moving forward still, brown out. crisp moving up the ground. Just finding that balance

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Madge def earnt his spot as third tall. His rightful position. Haven’t seen any updates in langdon, would be nice to know what’s going on. Been playing scratch matches but haven’t seen much. Maybe just getting him ready for next year, if that’s so all good but would be nice to know. I think with Langdon and Howe back, might give us opportunity to ultilise some differently. I’m open to sidey moving forward still, brown out. crisp moving up the ground. Just finding that balance
Yeah, all about finding that right balance. That's why Bucks gets millions of dollars and we talk about it on computers ;) Tough work indeed.

Would love to see Langers eventually return. Seemed like his career was toast

johncitizen

Cancelled
May 22, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
The backline is going to become a selection headache in the finals I reckon. Madgen has earned his spot with some really solid play, and Langdon seems to be a ways off even with a handful of scratch matches under his belt. Regaining Sidebottom, Treloar
Happy for Langdon to be depth in case of injuries and treat 2020 as a preseason for him.

Right now he's better than depth the way he's playing. Smooth mover that could possibly play in other positions

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
We are still playing below our best but that was as good as we have played since the Saints game. Work to be done if we are going to be a threat in finals. But De Goey back will really help our forward structure. Without him there, there is no number 1 target and we struggle to create space because of this. With him it’s more predictable he becomes the focal point and there just seems more space because of this. Howe & Langdon would be nice, but honestly is there even a spot for both, we are already strong defensively & think we would need to keep 1 of Noble/Quaynor in to have the best chemistry.

Back