Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is it reading the comments on the Carlton board 😂😂 they were so confident the pretenders
What stands out to me the most is that they’re only just realising they’ve been completely wrong all year claiming that Weitering>Moore.

Reading the Carlton game review thread has been an eye opener. There are clubs with supporters that have an even sillier sense of entitlement to success.

Reading the Carlton game review thread has been an eye opener. There are clubs with supporters that have an even sillier sense of entitlement to success.

Lot of Success for them came from Cheating

I like the post that said at the most we are a c grade team and they should have flogged us.

Something that caught my attention: that play where Darcy Moore came up through the middle with ball in hand and took it upon himself to try and charge towards goal.
He ended up getting pinged for not bouncing the ball enough, but I loved how ambitious it was. It was a fascinating and unexpected decision, I know it's only a minute detail but i'd love to hear others thoughts on it. It was one of the most offensive things i've ever seen a key defender do.

Something that caught my attention: that play where Darcy Moore came up through the middle with ball in hand and took it upon himself to try and charge towards goal.
He ended up getting pinged for not bouncing the ball enough, but I loved how ambitious it was. It was a fascinating and unexpected decision, I know it's only a minute detail but i'd love to hear others thoughts on it. It was one of the most offensive things i've ever seen a key defender do.
He is probably the most offensive minded and damaging key defender in the game and I’m not sure I’ve seen another like him in years. His pace and raw athleticism, sets him apart. Yes, McGovern and Andrews intercept like him, but he bursts through the middle of the ground every game. He is double the player Weitering is and will ever be. Yes Weitering can shut down a key forward, but Darcy can shut him down, as well as intercept to a higher extent, be more damaging by foot and it’s not even a discussion when it comes to athleticism. He is one hell of an athlete. People forget he is 202cm!!!. The only player his size with even close athleticism are the Kings and he’s fairly quicker then both of them I’d say. Upside is as high as any. He could retire as anything. An absolute ripper.

Last edited:

Research: Peter Knights.

God I love this team. That was genuinely the best I have felt after a game since the 2018 PF. Everyone played well and cal brown gets a lot of hate but he always tries his guts out and so does Mayne. If we play like that we are back, they way daicos sat out on the wing and created over lap was something we’ve been lacking. Did Cox benefit from playing the three talls in the forward line because Cameron didntdo a lot today, but would’ve taken away a tall defender at times. We are a such a batter team with stevo and JT firing and don’t get me started about Adams.

Floreat Pica

And then he did it again 2 minutes after!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly think we're a 15% better side with Quanor playing. Elite by foot, takes the game on, is quick and reads the play well....
Then he showed he can go back with the flight and take a courageous overhead mark.

Good to see JT and "Snagga rolls" Stevo combine for about 14 shots on goal today (couple fell short and OOF) that's the dynamic forward line we need clicking. We kick straighter and there isn't even a contest!

Look, I'm not the biggest Callum Brown fan. I don't think he can kick further than 30m. But he was directly responsible for two goals today.
1) He took on four Carlton defenders and got the hard ball out to Thomas who got it to Pendles, to Tyler and then to Stevenson on the lead. It was one of the most incredible hard ball gets I've seen.
2) He smothered the ball in the last and it went forward to Stevenson I believe.

The thing about Cal is, he is very good at winning a contested ball. I just don't think he's a forward. Would anyone entertain the idea of playing him elsewhere? Daicos improved greatly when moved to the wing.

Look, I'm not the biggest Callum Brown fan. I don't think he can kick further than 30m. But he was directly responsible for two goals today.
1) He took on four Carlton defenders and got the hard ball out to Thomas who got it to Pendles, to Tyler and then to Stevenson on the lead. It was one of the most incredible hard ball gets I've seen.
2) He smothered the ball in the last and it went forward to Stevenson I believe.

The thing about Cal is, he is very good at winning a contested ball. I just don't think he's a forward. Would anyone entertain the idea of playing him elsewhere? Daicos improved greatly when moved to the wing.

I think he’s a mid, for sure. With our injuries and Sidey going out, theoretically he should be able to have a crack in the middle. I think he’s more suited there.

Problem is Tyler might be better than him!

That was the most pleasing game to watch since Geelong - we have been really tough to watch since then but was great to see some dare and low entries into the 50m from the likes of Elliott , Madgen etc.......which put much more pressure on their backs. Also the first time in a while where the list of contributors far outweighed those who had bad days. Really only Cameron (Around 50% game time), WHE and Callum who were quiet.

We got done out the back here and there (nothing to do with out offensive mindset - just misread the play) but hopefully this gamestyle will be more like what we see going forward. It's our best chance of being competitive against Brisbane.

After today I feel a bit better about where we're at with the likes of Howe, Sidey, Treloar, JDG , Sier, Langdon, Greenwood etc......waiting to come back in.

Great to see the development in Daics, Tyler, Quaynor, Madgen and Noble who are all turning into very solid, reliable players with upside.

Last edited:
Love that, hopefully they make finals and we finish 5th. That would be a dream!

how good is IQ, he plays like a 300 game player. So confident and great execution.

I thought T Brown was great tonight too.

Cox, may have turned a corner was competing a lot better tonight, that’s two consecutive games of improvement hopefully he continues that trend. He’ll benefit from some better ball movement.

Maynard, Moore and Adams- there are no superlatives to cover their contribution. Huge.

Noble was solid, he is growing on me. Takes it on.

Thomas - amazing what happens when you’re allowed to play more freely, played a lot better tonight.

Cameron was the only poor performer I thought tonight, Phillips for me can’t play finals he can’t handle the physicality.

I don't like to focus on negatives, but gotta say WHE was worse than Phillips

I’ll tell you who’s a bloody gun.. Brayden Maynard. He’s just the most reliable defender. He played a great role on Betts. He also took an amazing contested mark deep I50. He’s a champion.

Makes significant improvement every year. Can’t think of any other mid-sized defender I’d want over him

Definitely a better game today especially second half obviously. A lot of players stood up Taylor Adams has to have the Copeland absolute star, Moore, maynard, Thomas all excellent. Phillips best game of his year. Hoskin Elliot I think needs a spell gave them a couple of goals and just very bad decisions. Grundy the decision is do you rest him definitelt isn't playing up to his standards but he has played every single game which is huge in a year like this. Forward line finally looked somewhat dangerous again with Cox and Mihocek that has to be our game going forward. Don't think Darcy Cameron stays in unfortunately.

How handy is it having Crisp and Maynard being left footers working the ball out of the left back pocket with the quick handball out to one of those 2 kicking it along the boundary line?

Definitely a better game today especially second half obviously. A lot of players stood up Taylor Adams has to have the Copeland absolute star, Moore, maynard, Thomas all excellent. Phillips best game of his year. Hoskin Elliot I think needs a spell gave them a couple of goals and just very bad decisions. Grundy the decision is do you rest him definitelt isn't playing up to his standards but he has played every single game which is huge in a year like this. Forward line finally looked somewhat dangerous again with Cox and Mihocek that has to be our game going forward. Don't think Darcy Cameron stays in unfortunately.

Maybe play Grundy as a fwd for a game and bring Lynch in to ruck 80% to Grundys 20%? They’ve been saying Lynch is ready?

Possibly we’d be too slow for it to work, but imagine trying to man up Grundy and Cox if we were getting half decent midfield possession!

This would as also give Checkers the genuine 3rd tall position which he would benefit from a heap.

But I think we need to have two talls PLUS Checkers, then a mix of Stevo, JT, Elliot, Ruscoe back in for either Cal or WHE. I feel like this is our best setup.

Maybe play Grundy as a fwd for a game and bring Lynch in to ruck 80% to Grundys 20%? They’ve been saying Lynch is ready?

Possibly we’d be too slow for it to work, but imagine trying to man up Grundy and Cox if we were getting half decent midfield possession!

This would as also give Checkers the genuine 3rd tall position which he would benefit from a heap.

But I think we need to have two talls PLUS Checkers, then a mix of Stevo, JT, Elliot, Ruscoe back in for either Cal or WHE. I feel like this is our best setup.
I thought about Grundy as a forward, good grab and kick... but I think he needs a proper spell. Carries a massive load every week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back