Toast Round 8 = Collingwood 77-48 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to sound strange but you know how you know you’re a near unstoppable side?

When teams literally change how they play for 1 week to try and stop you rather than “play their way” and take you on

Yep and when sides try to physically intimidate the youngest player on the opposition, then go missing when the ball is to be won late in the game. Weak campaigners the Bloods.

Why is it such a big deal when Collingwood fans boo a player... yet when Ginny got booed last year, De Goey got booed, Pendles got booed, Daicos gets booed for being to ******* good at 20 years old, it's perfectly fine.

Deadset sick of the media and it being anti-Collingwood. I didn't expect it from Bucks - he didn't have a thing to say when Sydney fans were booing a 19 year old Ginnivan last year.

On the other hand, I love how jealous and mad are that Collingwood are winning every week.

Loved the win, but on a negative note, did the broadcast seem particularly shite this match? In terms of camera angles, zoom, and commentary it seemed like the shittiest game I can remember. I normally don't mind Daisy or BT too much but geez.

The Ch 7 commentary team are woeful in general but Daisy would be on the podium for the worst of them.

Last edited:
.......Deadset sick of the media and it being anti-Collingwood. I didn't expect it from Bucks - he didn't have a thing to say when Sydney fans were booing a 19 year old Ginnivan last year.

On the other hand, I love how jealous and mad are that Collingwood are winning every week.
It's a deprivation relevance thing

My God Daisy Pearce and Nate Jones were horrid yesterday.

May as well have been sitting in the Sydney cheer squad. It was sickening to listen to.

There's a bit of salt there

Guess who Melbourne's current bogey side is?

My God Daisy Pearce and Nate Jones were horrid yesterday.

May as well have been sitting in the Sydney cheer squad. It was sickening to listen to.

Same as every game I watched on TV sounds like the Commentators are calling the game from the Opposition Cheersquad

The Ch 7 commentary team is woeful in general but Daisy would be on the podium for the worst of them.
She's symptomatic of Channel 7's attitude towards the broadcast - they want to promote a more 'inclusive' environment so they employ someone who tells you what you've seen with your own eyes thirty seconds ago and who offers very little real insight.

They then proclaim that she's the best expert commentator in the game at present, hoping that if they say that enough, people might believe them.

Channel 7 and a lot of the AFL's accredited journalists treat the public like mugs, knowing that the only option anyone really has is to either switch off or subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo.

She's symptomatic of Channel 7's attitude towards the broadcast - they want to promote a more 'inclusive' environment so they employ someone who tells you what you've seen with your own eyes thirty seconds ago and who offers very little real insight.

They then proclaim that she's the best expert commentator in the game at present, hoping that if they say that enough, people might believe them.

Channel 7 and a lot of the AFL's accredited journalists treat the public like mugs, knowing that the only option anyone really has is to either switch off or subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo.

My wife asked that exact question... 'Why does she keep telling us what we've just seen?'

You'd rather be kicked in the nuts repeatedly then listen to Daisy farkin Pearce all day.

My wife asked that exact question... 'Why does she keep telling us what we've just seen?'

You'd rather be kicked in the nuts repeatedly then listen to Daisy farkin Pearce all day.
Wayne Carey was excellent in special comments - unfortunately, he's a deeply flawed individual who burnt each and every chance given to him.

Much like the cricket coverage, commentators (particularly special comments) seem to become more comfortable after their first few years in the system and unfortunately, become less relevant. Cameron Ling is an excellent example in the footy broadcast - refreshing at first, but now just one of the sycophants with his own favourites who doesn't analyse the game.

Pearce never had the gravitas or insight - but Channel 7 needed a face. They would've done a lot better with Abbey Holmes in special comments, who seems to research players and watch games outside the AFL, thereby allowing her to contribute meaningfully when they throw to her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Carey was excellent in special comments - unfortunately, he's a deeply flawed individual who burnt each and every chance given to him.

Much like the cricket coverage, commentators (particularly special comments) seem to become more comfortable after their first few years in the system and unfortunately, become less relevant. Cameron Ling is an excellent example in the footy broadcast - refreshing at first, but now just one of the sycophants with his own favourites who doesn't analyse the game.

Pearce never had the gravitas or insight - but Channel 7 needed a face. They would've done a lot better with Abbey Holmes in special comments, who seems to research players and watch games outside the AFL, thereby allowing her to contribute meaningfully when they throw to her.
Luke Hodge is a good analyst also

The standard of call-by-call commentary has also deteriorated severely.

To me it seems to mirror a similar approach Ch. 9 took with their cricket coverage prior to Ch. 7 obtaining the rights, where legends like Warne, Healy, Slater etc. were asked to be something they're not. The coverage has become more 'casual viewer' friendly at the expense of professionalism and being genuine.

(Edit: Slater's not a legend but was a very talented cricketer)

I'm not sure what the media don't understand about being a football supporter. Do they expect a polite round of applause and a "well done No. 23". Franklin has been a very successful player and will rank highly in the years to come. At that time people will not 'Boo' him. They might occasionally do so now because he is a high profile player who doesn't play for Collingwood and is therefore not entitled to any level of immunity. Great player or not. Minor players don't attract the enmity of the crowd unless they do something reprehensible. It is not a statement about his aboriginality.

It's all about spectators having a stake in the game. It's a stretch to expect supporters to come to the game, get over excited and anxious and then be indifferent towards the opposition. Within limits, it was ok for opposition players to try to physically intimidate N Daicos, they setting the tone. Spectators can only contribute vocally to that adversarial scene.

Thinking back to the Adam Goodes times, the media wanted to make it a big racial issue when it was simply a case of upsetting a player who'd proved to be gettable. Goodes was a great player and is respected as such.

That said, I'm not encouraging 'Booing' because it is a low and unimaginative bar, casting aspersions about his mother's taste in jellybeans is a much safer path.

There no longer is any sports journalism - it has gone the way of genuinely insightful current affairs shows and news that has actual news in it - on purpose - and not by accident.

Every single aspect of genuine entertainment has been trivialized to the point of total irrelevance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back