Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh.
Got to take the good with the bad.

If we kick 16.10 instead of 10.16….are you still as annoyed?
It's crazy for that as bad as we played we still could've pinched it if we kicked straight.

We missed one absolute sitter after another. Elliott, Checkers and McStay are rarely ever that inaccurate.

Not too worried about that game at all. Certainly don't feel like we've been "found out".

On the Friday night stage at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Collingwood faltered against Carlton to lose by 17 points. The Blues were cleaner, sharper and produced greater accuracy in front of goal to ensure they had greater control of the game, particularly after quarter time. The opening term saw the Magpies jump the Blues with the first two goals before the Baggers hit back with scores level at quarter time. The second quarter was when Carlton gained ascendancy in general play and the scoreboard where they took away Collingwood's strengths to take in a lead of 17 points at the main break. Collingwood generated a fightback during the third term, but inaccuracy meant they could not eat into Carlton's half time lead with the Blues winning the quarter by 2 points to take in a lead of 19 points atthree quarter time. The last quarter saw the Woods attempt another comeback, but the Baggers found enough answers on the scoreboard to deny the Maggies an improbable victory and prevail by 17 points.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from key indicators such as disposals by +25 (363 - 338), handballs were won by +48 (164 - 116), +50 for uncontested possessions (243 - 193), intercept possessions had a margin of +10 (79 - 69), turnovers had a deficit of -10 (69 - 79), and hit-outs had an advantage of +6 ( 38 - 32 ). Contested marks had a margin of +6 ( 14 - 8 ), intercept marks had a gap of +10 (79 - 69), Marks Inside 50 were up by +8 ( 18 - 10 ), and Inside 50s had a differential of +4 (53 - 49). Carlton won their statistical categories from sources that included kicks by +23 (222 - 199), contested possessions were up by +33 (142 - 109), while clearances had a differential of +10 (41 - 31), +1 for centre clearances (13 - 12), and stoppage clearances had a positive reading of +9 ( 28 - 19 ). Tackles had an advantage of +10 (64 - 54), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +6 (13 - 7). Marks had a margin of +8 ( 96 - 88 ), with uncontested marks won by +14 ( 88 - 74 ).

Nick Daicos (28 disposals @ 54%, 314 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 15 kicks, 13 handballs, 6 tackles, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 3 stoppage clearances) had his impact minimised for the second week running where his influence on the contest dwindled, and compounded his own issues by wasting two shots at goal in the second half.

Josh Daicos (27 disposals @ 85%, 404 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 15 handballs, 2 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 4 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) recovered from a nightmare start where he recorded just 2 possessions, to accumulate 25 over the remaining three quarters, which produced territory and booted an excellent goal during the third quarter in an attempt to lift his side.

Jordan De Goey (25 disposals @ 84%, 396 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 14 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) generated supply and opportunities from clearances to create opportunities for his forwards while impacting the scoreboard himself.

Tom Mitchell (21 disposals @ 90%, 159 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 12 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) looked to give off handpasses off after taking marks or kicking short to maintain possession in finding spare teammates.

Scott Pendlebury (20 disposals @ 80%, 328 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) maintained possession effectively and kept persisting with the territory game to keep it moving forward.

Steele Sidebottom (19 disposals @ 68%, 333 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) accumulated his standard quota of possessions on the wing, took his marks, and looked to kick the ball long to a contest or handpass his way through Carlton's pressure.

Darcy Cameron (12 disposals @ 83%, 31 hit-outs, 6 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 4 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) competed hard in the ruck and won his fair share of ruck contests, while Cameron was able to get forward early and capitalise on his only goal for the game.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 82%, 335 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks, 7 tackles, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) looked to maintain possession by foot or kick long to contests, while Noble also attempted daring runs through the corridor or half-back flank to chain handpasses through the gauntlet that the Blues had set up behind the ball.

Brayden Maynard (22 disposals @ 59%, 559 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) spent most of his evening being inclined or forced to kick long to contests where the Magpies had enough numbers in aerial contests, but could not win the ball at ground level when the ball came off hands.

Jack Crisp (20 disposals @ 85%, 341 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) took the game on with relative success to effectively move the ball through Carlton's zone by hand, while maintaining possession by foot.

Oleg Markov (17 disposals @ 88%, 383 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) generated serious rebounding power and run from defence to move the ball forward by foot and hand as often as possible.

Darcy Moore (16 disposals @ 75%, 168 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 3 contested marks, 3 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) took brilliant marks in defence, but his foot skills coming out of defence let him down.

Nathan Murphy (13 disposals @ 85%, 218 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) played safe and conservative footy by taking the simple options at every opportunity from every mark he took or each ground ball he won at ground level.

Patrick Lipinski (21 disposals @ 67%, 387 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 5 Inside 50s) won his fair share of possessions up the ground as a high-half forward rotating through the midfield, but his ball use was below par.

Jeremy Howe (17 disposals @ 100%, 350 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 3 handballs, 10 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 9 score involvements & 3 goals) spent three quarters of the game in defence, before starting the last quarter on the wing, before shifting forward to give his team a spark with all of his goals coming in the last quarter.

Taylor Adams (12 disposals @ 50%, 130 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) contributed to scoring chains and ball movement despite being relatively quiet, while nailing a goal late in the last quarter.

Jamie Elliott (11 disposals @ 54%, 4 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) took his marks, but did not nail his opportunities in front of goal.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 70%, 341 metres gained, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 7 score involvements, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was involved in ball movement and scoring chains entering the front half, while having mixed results in front of goal.

Daniel McStay (9 disposals @ 78%, 186 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 7 marks, 3 contested marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements & 2 goals) played up forward with presence by imposing himself on the game with several marks taken up forward. Unfortunately for McStay, he did not take all of his opportunities in front of goal, despite booting two goals on the night which was reasonable, but not decisive.

Brody Mihocek (8 disposals @ 25%, 214 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) took his marks and created opportunities for his teammates. Mihocek's attempts at goal were uncharateristically sloppy.

Collingwood's next game will be against Hawthorn on August 5 at the MCG. It is time to be ruthless in the final month leading into September. Winning the contested possession count will be important, as will the want to tackle at every opportunity. Furthermore, every shot at goal needs to be taken and start playing four quarters of consistent and relentless footy.

5 kicks and 4 inside 50s. It's not unusual for any player to miss those and they aren't big impact.

I'd prefer he was playing as a mid as he did the last two games, but he did not have a heavily negative impact on tonight's game.
I can't fathom why he wouldn't be playing in the midfield to begin with. We were getting bullied there all night. Should've thrown Naicos forward and Adams into the guts after half time.

Make the necessary changes while the game is still up for grabs.

Final thought for the night- the ball seems to ping out from our forward 50 very easily and it has seemed that way for weeks.
Can we improve our forward half game or is it not in line with our game plan? (I'm no footy maestro).
Saad is a good player, but pudgy Nic Newman running rings around our forwards made me sick.

We badly missed Bobby Hill chasing these fools down on Friday night.

Watching McStay late in the ruck and we just cannot do him as even a temporary ruckman, he’s hopeless in that position.

If Cox is insistent on lumbering way off his opponents and losing ruck contests to forwards then Frampton really is the only option unless Cameron can effectively play 95% game time like Grundy used to.
I don't think we ever intended for McStay to swing between forward and ruck. I don't even remember McStay rucking at all at Brisbane except for that final last year where he had a big impact, which is clearly a point of of reference for folks here as we all had our eye on him in that game.

Cameron is our main man. Whichever one of Cox or Frampton plays provides the chop out. McStay plays exclusively as a forward, as does AJ.

Just on the Elliott goal review, the AFL needs to go away from making the goal umpire choose one or the other as a soft call. Let them say they don't know. I'm sure if they said "I'm not sure if it was touched" the third umpire would've said it was a goal.
I would rather win a GF, with the vision overturning a WRONG call by a goal umpire, than not have vision at all.
Vision rarely makes BAD calls.

Cats didn't lose a game from round 9 last year, the whole game we had to lose is trash.

Let this sink in

2nd on the ladder
Beat Port by 2 points (I'm not counting round 2)

3rd on the ladder
Got pumped by Brisbane at home

4th on the ladder
Beat by the Dees should lost by 4 goals

5th on the ladder
Outplayed by Carlton all night lose by 2 goals

Are we really that good?
Why not count Round 2 against Port? We absolutely blitzed them. They weren't missing anyone. Then going over there and beating them at Adelaide Oval when they'd had this game marked on their calendar since round 2 and rested 6 players the week before in preparation is a damn good win, and we were still far from our best that night.

We went into the Brisbane game without a ruck. That made just about all the difference. Then you had Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron and Rayner all playing outstanding games when Brisbane is usually lucky to have just 2 of the 4 perform on the day. Brisbane at the Gabba are a ridiculously hard side to beat. We also kicked 17 points. Just wasn't our night. They're never gonna kick 10 straight goals at Marvel or at the G. Still only lost that one by 33 points. Frampton in the ruck that night makes that a much closer game.

Dees are another team that would've had this game marked on their calendar as we'd beaten them 7 out of the last 8 times we played. They owed us one. We still somehow closed the gap and only lost that one by 2 goals after playing pretty poorly the whole day.

Carlton... need I say more? How many sleepless nights do you think those players had after being knocked out of the finals by us? They've played nothing but bottom 4 sides for the last month and had a warm-up match against the Eagles last week compared to our hard fought, bruising contest against Port. The timing could not possibly have been better for them to play us.

We made it to within a point of playing in a grand final last year with a considerably worse list. We have some things to work on, especially when it comes to nailing down our best 23, but we're still the best side in the comp this year. This round, Brisbane just got belted by Gold Coast (whom we destroyed). Dees almost got rolled by the tuggers. Port just got smashed by the Crows.

We're doing just fine mate.

I learned to love Fly even more after that game.

Sure, he’s got his theory of “during the week inside the four walls you wouldn’t know if we won or lost” …

… but at his presser after the game he was clearly pissed that we lost.

I learned to love Fly even more after that game.

Sure, he’s got his theory of “during the week inside the four walls you wouldn’t know if we won or lost” …

… but at his presser after the game he was clearly pissed that we lost.
Fly has a warm and cuddly persona, but underneath there is steel.
He wouldn't be a triple Premiership player and got to where he is as a coach without it.
An iron fist in a velvet glove.

Moore isn't a FB.
Time mcrae realised this

Logged in just to like this comment.

Moore frustrates the s**t out of me. He's only effective if he can play loose man in defensive 50, and generally only against weaker teams.

He gets caught out too often against the better teams as he doesn't respect his opposition player enough to play man on man.

His body language is generally sulking in nature and he doesn't inspire those around him. Compare the way he goes about it to Peddles and Maynard.

But hey.... he can give a good speech though :thumbsupv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore frustrates the s**t out of me. He's only effective if he can play loose man in defensive 50, and generally only against weaker teams.

He gets caught out too often against the better teams as he doesn't respect his opposition player enough to play man on man.

His body language is generally sulking in nature and he doesn't inspire those around him. Compare the way he goes about it to Peddles and Maynard.

Whilst I have similar criticisms against Moore he was voted as our captain by the playing coaches and playing group. They’re clearly inspired by him despite what you may think of his body language on the TV.

We don’t play man on man defence. You’re blaming Moore for playing how we are supposed to play. And if we turn it over that’s when the defenders get caught out. It’s a risk/reward strategy

Nearly every single point you just raised is wrong.

This is one of the shittest posts I’ve ever seen, nice work!

In the cold light of day (after the weekend) teams win teams lose. you can argue this was their GF and needed to win 100% when we wanted to win. Blues supporters and some media saying they beat a full strength Collingwood team blah blah, again this means jack, where was Carlton when they had their stars playing during them losing 7/9 earlier in the year.

The weekend showed upsets are part of this game, in the end we improved our position even when losing!!! we reload now and starts with a big win over the Hawks Saturday arvo.

There are moments throughout the season that can turn a supporter either way. Lets get top spot sewn up and hopefully we find form and system in the finals.

Nearly every single point you just raised is wrong.

Thanks Kirby. I'll try harder next time for complete dissatisfaction. At the end of the day, these were my opinions, right or wrong.

This is one of the shittest posts I’ve ever seen, nice work!

gouki88, sorry to hurt your feeling re. Moore. If it makes you feel better he has nice hair and can model a retro pies jacket real good.

Last edited:
Just on the Elliott goal review, the AFL needs to go away from making the goal umpire choose one or the other as a soft call. Let them say they don't know. I'm sure if they said "I'm not sure if it was touched" the third umpire would've said it was a goal.
Nah - footage isn't always going to be conclusive either way so they have to make a call. Not sure what goal umpire instructions are, but surely his soft call should be a goal in that situation unless he's confident its been touched.

Nah - footage isn't always going to be conclusive either way so they have to make a call. Not sure what goal umpire instructions are, but surely his soft call should be a goal in that situation unless he's confident its been touched.
I raised this on another thread given the noise and distance its was purely a *en guess that went against us at a crucial time. Unacceptable from the maggot especially when the review showed a gap.

Also, I'm trying to start a movement on twitter and slowly building its called

#FREEKICKCURNOW when ever referring to him.

I raised this on another thread given the noise and distance its was purely a *en guess that went against us at a crucial time. Unacceptable from the maggot especially when the review showed a gap.

Also, I'm trying to start a movement on twitter and slowly building its called

#FREEKICKCURNOW when ever referring to him.
The bombers board were commenting about if Wright got the frees curnow got fri night they would have won by 5 goals.

I wonder if this is a case of when he screws up, it’s a highly visible screw-up, but when he does good it’s not so visible?

We are the best defensive team in the comp (conceded the lowest score), and we are highest scoring team from backline turnovers - and we wouldn’t be any of that if our backline wasn’t well led, and if any of our defensive players weren’t respecting their opposition.

Maybe they just need to adjust to a "if in doubt, call it a goal" mentality. Unless it's against us of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back