Review Round 16, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN reporting that Hipwood has been refered directly to the Tribunal by the MRO.

From the vision I've seen, I can't really make out whether he's done a full blooded shove of his opponent into the ump.

If so, deserves more than a fine.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has the right to push off in a 1 on 1 as the stream forward - he probably mean’t it, if he did, ordinary. But really, how are you going to accurately determine his intention from a bit of grainy footage 50 meters away. Unless he openly admits it, I just don’t see how you give him weeks.

I guess they have a better vision to declare that. And if so sure enough.

Interesting to see how they try argue against him, and how we defend.

Like was he actually trying to get a collision? Or was he trying to create a moment where the defender would have to make the choice between staying with hipwood and potentially taking ump contact, or veering out of the collision and allowing Hipwood a free run. Don't really like it if that.

I know there was some rule tweaks or talks in this year or last about using umps to try losing opponents etc, so will be interesting here.

There is certainly more contact than the incident with Walters pushing Taranto into an ump (that was not during play, and much much less contact).

we'll see! good luck proving intent. Maybe their cameras are better for tribunal than it is for score reviews... priorities priorities.

Pushes in the back happen all the time.

The crux of it is whether he actually intended to push Gardiner into the umpire.

Logically, It seems unnecessary to involve the umpire as some sort of secondary target.

If you can get away with a full blooded push of the opponent, then good luck.

Seems he can perhaps own upto the push but argue that he had no intention to"get" the umpire per se.

Apparently, no charge has been laid so it feels like Christian has no idea of intent so has handballed to the the Tribunal.

It's going to be near impossible to prove intent and obviously Hipwood isn't going to admit anything.

I think he gets a rap on the knuckles and a couple of grand lighter in the wallet

Last edited:
Clever to start with the hi vis - got a good headstart blending in before off it came. Saw him in the back of the cop van afterwards looking a bit worse for wear though

I thought he was a security guard or at least somehow had parts of the uniform. Was wearing the same black pants with the orange on the knees as all the guards that tackled him and dragged him off.

I probably sound like a grumpy old bugger bit I have no time for or any sympathy for ground invaders,nor for the way they are treated.

I don't go to the footy or any other sporting event to watch some dickhead attempt to turn him/herself Into a folk hero.

Apart from that, these fools endanger the safety of not only themselves but also those who have the unenviable task of having to apprehend them.

Then there is the heavy fine and (I think) lengthy match/ground bans that follow.

It's sheer stupidity

Really hope the AFL aren't ignoring their own rules and guidelines in deference to a media witchhunt.

View attachment 1437232

Won't they just argue that Hipwood's action was forceful so intentional, ie in the circumstances it is irrelevant that Hipwood didn't make contact with the umpire, his action should be taken as though he was the Dogs player and intentionally bowled over the umpire.

[for clarity, I have NFI about the rules and do not intend to learn]

Last edited:
Christian has proven time and again to be a sucker for however public opinion can be twisted and weak when it comes to common sense calls wherever scrutiny may arise.

He's useless. Just have a tribunal. And ban lawyers.

Christian has proven time and again to be a sucker for however public opinion can be twisted and weak when it comes to common sense calls wherever scrutiny may arise.

He's useless. Just have a tribunal. And ban lawyers.
Plus Christian has never done us one favour. Unlike the clubs where he has been feted over many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely wouldnt do something like that intentionally,,, heard theres another angle that looks a lot better.
Luke Hodge on tonight's telecast said that the Dogs player initiated contact and Hippy just shoved him out of the way.. said it was a regular occurrence during games.. Hippy will be fine.

Some salty Lions 'fans' were bagging Hipwood for being a hiptwig or something in the match thread. They get their wish of Hipwood out of the team now

Last edited:
Luke Hodge on tonight's telecast said that the Dogs player initiated contact and Hippy just shoved him out of the way.. said it was a regular occurrence during games.. Hippy will be fine.
Umpire was in the play. Poor positioning. The umpire is largely responsible.

Umpire was in the play. Poor positioning. The umpire is largely responsible.
The whole thing is a beat up non event.

As if a cleanskin like Hipwood or anyone really would shove a player into an umpire.

Cue the Benny Gill music . Just something for the media to talk about for a couple of days.

Besides everyone knows Christian is just a dumb toadie.

I think we look better without Rich and having Ah Chee down back. Both him and Kiddy are better defensively and aren't as likely to get outpaced if there is a quick ball coming down. Unfortunately for Richy, I don't believe we lose much (if anything at all) offensively either. It sounds like I am not the only one who thinks so. I know Fages is trying to reward Richy for loyalty but I wonder if there is somewhere else we could fit him in?
Prior on the wing has to be our go to from now on if Clugg and/or Berry are going to be in the centre. Even if those two took up a wing each Prior is still the option for a guy to rotate through the wings and half-back off the interchange.
Tunstill was pretty good
Answerth was good. He's not silk but it takes balls to stand in the hole and not flinch when the big forward are coming at you.
I thought Payne was good again. I think he should be above Gardiner in the pecking order.
I don't see us winning it this year but I think our window is still open. I honestly believe when some of our youth becomes first 22 next year, as perhaps they should be now it will improve us enough on every line to potentially get where we want to go. We will gain a bit more speed in defence as well as a bit more accountability IMO if we move 1 or 2 guys on next season, our forward line could be even more dangerous with Lohman running around and in the midfield I think a move on from Zorko and Lyons could provide some positives.
I mentioned last week about our predictable back line ball movement with Rich in the team. This week we got to have a look at the team without him and what a difference.
I fear he may be the new Birchall when he returns from injury. I love loyalty but not at the expense of the team performance. He has lost his edge. We can’t beat top 8 teams with a slow game style. It does our forwards no favors. We need fast entry to leading forwards to mark or create chances for the smalls.
I would like to see Louhman, Prior, Madden and Fort get a run next week. Rest McStay and Zorko.

It's a rough tough game and sometimes umpires will cop contact. Hipwood was pushing away a defender that was trying to block his path.......He got shoved and he cannoned into the ump.

Play on!

Back