Review Round 17, 2017 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Imma let you finish but Jared Brennan had one of the best headbutts of all time.

Got that dirty prick Josh Carr a beauty!

Not only one of the best but from all reports, THE most popular headbutt of all time.......with the rest of the AFL playing fraternity....apparently.

...and I think he may have only got One week:drunk:

DE5rRJeVoAAiVf4.jpg:large

Bastinac > Dangerfield

Zorkinac > Dangerwood

It is basically accepted that the AFL, via the MRP, went out of their way to for Martin not to be suspended, which in of itself is wrong.

Like a lot of the inconsistencies of the MRP, there is quite possibly a preconceived outcome to certain incidents and then such incidents are graded accordingly i.e. Martin's act being graded as careless as opposed to intentional.

Give me a break.:rolleyes:

I would play him the rest of the year. He will get up to speed pretty quickly.
We need some speed in the forward half, so he would work well down there.
Richmond run it out of our forward half way too easily yesterday.
The defenders did well, but were not helped by the defensive work of the forwards and mids further up the ground.

Totally agree Cox would of learnt more in that match then 5 NEAFL matches, id leave him in seniors for rest of the year

I'm a bit late to the party with my thoughts from the game but here they are:

Positives:
- Young players: Witherden and Cox were both excellent. Although Cox made a few errors, his attack on the ball was excellent.

-Fwd setup: Even though Richmond were able to rebound from defensive 50 way too easily, I really liked the combination of Schache, Hipwood and Walker who were all dangerous at times. Need a Harwood type in there to provide defensive mongrel.

-Bastinac: Many had stamped his card and packed his bags for him 6 or so weeks ago but honestly his last four weeks of football have been as good as anyone else on the team. Seems automatic in front of goal as well.

Negatives:
-Midfield: Our miss were absolutely obliterated by Richmond. Constantly second to the ball and very reactionary in the center clearances. Stef was murdered by Nankervis which is a massive concern considering Nankervis is basically a poor mans Stef.

-Harris Andrews: This is probably an unpopular one but he has been relatively poor the last fortnight. He seemed to give Jack way too much space and looked a little slower than usual. I know it is tough when there is a constant level of supply coming in but Andrews has set the bar really high and I think he has been well beneath that for the past couple games.

All in all, not a terrible result and there are lots of positives to build on.

Dont know if we can carry all 3 of Walker, Shack and Hippy in the forward line. If we had a better defensive setup in our fwd line we might but we dont'. They just seemed to walk outof our fwd 50 with ease and every time in their kick ins they found someone who was completly by themselves.

Dont know if we can carry all 3 of Walker, Shack and Hippy in the forward line. If we had a better defensive setup in our fwd line we might but we dont'. They just seemed to walk outof our fwd 50 with ease and every time in their kick ins they found someone who was completly by themselves.
Not enough pace.
It is definitely something we need to address in the upcoming trade and draft period.
I think i would prefer just the 2 talls. And some pacey smalls around them.
Our forward line did look ok offensively on the weekend as it has all year really. It's just the defence side of things and set ups at kickins.

Not enough pace.
It is definitely something we need to address in the upcoming trade and draft period.
I think i would prefer just the 2 talls. And some pacey smalls around them.
Our forward line did look ok offensively on the weekend as it has all year really. It's just the defence side of things and set ups at kickins.

Tbh I think it is more to do with lack of pace from the flank to the wing + not moving into position fast enough to lock it in. When we do lock it in we're quite good, but the players need to run harder and into the right spots to block the coast to coast bs that stings us. I don't know if swapping Walker for a Harwood etc would make us much better.

For mine, I'd like to see:

Taylor/Keays - Hipwood - Barrett
Harwood/Beams- Schache - Walker

That way our smalls are all good pressure players and our talls are lethal. We lose pace as besides Taylor and Beams (both great around goal but not as good defensively) the others are tackling/defensive machines.

It will be interesting to see how we line up on Sunday.

What's the alternative?

It is basically accepted that the AFL, via the MRP, went out of their way to for Martin not to be suspended, which in of itself is wrong.

Like a lot of the inconsistencies of the MRP, there is quite possibly a preconceived outcome to certain incidents and then such incidents are graded accordingly i.e. Martin's act being graded as careless as opposed to intentional.

Give me a break.:rolleyes:
Was really interested that nothing was mentioned of dustys sling tackle he put on one of our guys.( sorry can't remember who it was on - was on Richmond half forward line our cheersquad end) Don't know how he did not cop a fine (I think i do actually) and he was god damn lucky our player had his arm down between the ground and his head to absorb the impact cause that could have been big trouble for our player and martin.

Was really interested that nothing was mentioned of dustys sling tackle he put on one of our guys.( sorry can't remember who it was on - was on Richmond half forward line our cheersquad end) Don't know how he did not cop a fine (I think i do actually) and he was god damn lucky our player had his arm down between the ground and his head to absorb the impact cause that could have been big trouble for our player and martin.
I think it was Sam Mayes. And the only reason it wasnt scrutinized was because he wasnt concussed.
If he had to go off the ground and couldnt play out the game then he would have been gone for a couple of weeks.
But it was a sling tackle which is why he gave away a free kick.

What's the alternative?
I think the ideal forward set up is 2 talls, 1 3rd tall ie. Tom Lynch (Crows) and 3 high pressure smalls/mediums with elite disposal. I like Josh Walker as a KPD.

2018 forward 6-
Jake Barrett, Josh Schache, Cedric Cox.
Cameron Rayner:), Eric Hipwood, Allen Christensen.

Still need some high pressure smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the ideal forward set up is 2 talls, 1 3rd tall ie. Tom Lynch (Crows) and 3 high pressure smalls/mediums with elite disposal. I like Josh Walker as a KPD.

2018 forward 6-

I think we need another medium type of forward, someone who is around the 190 to 194 range, athletic, good leap and can kick a crumbing goal. Maybe a Stephenson type from the draft. Always thought Bell would play this role well this year, but that didn't turn out so good.
Rayner fits the bill there though as you mentioned.

2018 forward 6-

Unfortunately that doesn't help us for this year. I don't think Barrett makes the team with Rayner and Bundy available.

Unfortunately that doesn't help us for this year. I don't think Barrett makes the team with Rayner and Bundy available.
Barrett has a lot of work to do before he becomes anything more than a stop-gap option as a small forward. Last weekend in the reserves he snapped at goal from about 20 out under no pressure and it barely made it to the goal line, he just doesn't have the athleticism to make up for his lack of skill in that position.

How good was that play leading up to Schache's goal? Taylor over the top of some Richmond spuds to Berry to Schache and goal! Must have re-watched it a half dozen times already.

giphy.gif

I love Robbo but the optics of a headbutt aren't great, and hard to defend.

How about "Robbo was overwhelmed by Cotchin's awesomeness up close and felt an uncontrollable desire to bow his head in an involuntary act of submission. Unfortunately at the same time as he was making the action Cotchin's stepped forward leading to a purely careless incidental interaction. As you can see from the footage there is no forward movement of Nick's head just an up and down one.

How about "Robbo was overwhelmed by Cotchin's awesomeness up close and felt an uncontrollable desire to bow his head in an involuntary act of submission. Unfortunately at the same time as he was making the action Cotchin's stepped forward leading to a purely careless incidental interaction. As you can see from the footage there is no forward movement of Nick's head just an up and down one.
As defences go, I'd prefer; "I nutted him, because he has stupid ******* hair".

Positives:
- Young players: Witherden and Cox were both excellent. Although Cox made a few errors, his attack on the ball was excellent.

-Fwd setup: Even though Richmond were able to rebound from defensive 50 way too easily, I really liked the combination of Schache, Hipwood and Walker who were all dangerous at times. Need a Harwood type in there to provide defensive mongrel.

-Bastinac: Many had stamped his card and packed his bags for him 6 or so weeks ago but honestly his last four weeks of football have been as good as anyone else on the team. Seems automatic in front of goal as well.

Negatives:
-Midfield: Our miss were absolutely obliterated by Richmond. Constantly second to the ball and very reactionary in the center clearances. Stef was murdered by Nankervis which is a massive concern considering Nankervis is basically a poor mans Stef.

-Harris Andrews: This is probably an unpopular one but he has been relatively poor the last fortnight. He seemed to give Jack way too much space and looked a little slower than usual. I know it is tough when there is a constant level of supply coming in but Andrews has set the bar really high and I think he has been well beneath that for the past couple games.

It's so easy to forget that Andrews & Hipwood are still kids. Its also easy to forget that they are now playing a key forward or key back position without any real support from a mature age leader on the field..in fact...they now are the leaders. IMO, before any criticism is sent their way, we all should consider the experience they have and the assistance they get on the field on game day.Both are 19 & 20 years old respectively. For me they are both doing a remarkable job at this stage in their career's & I am excited to see what they will do when they both get to 22-23 years of age.

Last edited:

Positives:

Negatives:

Interesting to note that all our senior players were off the boil on the same game???????

Back