Review Round 17, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against Geelong

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You think Lyons is a massive worry? Or the fact that when he has a quiet game the rest of the midfield group can't pick up the slack the same way Lyons does when anyone else in the mid group has a quiet game?

The probably is his transition. If he’s not winning the footy then it leaves us a man down in the midfield. Very noticeable allowing the Saints mids to link up and stream forward. Once they get it to the outside he’s useless.

Lyons would be fine on his odd off days if we had someone else to pick up the slack when his shortcomings are shown up. It's all very well to say he's a liability when certain teams get a run on against us , but then we wouldn't win plenty of other games if he didn't play as effectively as he does. It's basically not Lyons that's the problem it's our overall depth in the M/F and that was shown up badly last night , given we had an off night.

Lyons would be a fantastic third banana and he's played first or second all year so I can forgive him for the couple of games where he's just not quite up to it.

Lyons would be fine on his odd off days if we had someone else to pick up the slack when his shortcomings are shown up. It's all very well to say he's a liability when certain teams get a run on against us , but then we wouldn't win plenty of other games if he didn't play as effectively as he does. It's basically not Lyons that's the problem it's our overall depth in the M/F and that was shown up badly last night , given we had an off night.

Lyons would be a fantastic third banana and he's played first or second all year so I can forgive him for the couple of games where he's just not quite up to it.

Lol, not sure Lyons will ever be third banana. I hope to hell it does happen, but don't see it right now, or anytime soon.

Waiting for AFLQLD 's take on the game!

Short answer: It sucked.

Long answer: It sucked quite a lot.

Even longer answer: Some strategic problems were exposed with our inability to change our point of attack on turnovers. We moved the ball exactly as they knew we would and they simply went to the right spots. Some structural problems were exposed where the midfield couldn’t arrest the opposition’s clean centre clearances, especially out the back of the ruck contest. By far the most destructive clearances were out the back of the centre ruck contest when their forwards could get a look and had good time and space to position themselves. Something was not right with our centre circle setup - our worst centre setup of the season against strong rucks and very very good midfielders.

Hopefully some lessons learned and a big reality check for the team. We have a good team but it has some noticeable weaknesses still.

Went a few weeks ago and probably 4 games last year, it’s a good viewing stadium. Just surprised supporters didn’t drive an hour down the road to see their team.

It's a shithouse stadium at the best of times. The majority of the main stand faces west, so if it's an afternoon game (even remotely, the roof does nothing) then you're sitting with the sun in your face. The part of the stadium that faces east is the corporate toff toff boxes. How convenient.

The actual task of getting there from Brisbane isn't particularly fun either. The stadium is mostly set up to access by public transport. There is a car park across the road, but it's expensive and incredibly small, especially for the 25,000 capacity of the stadium. There's a nearby train station, which you can then shuttle to the ground from - brilliant, but how do you get to that? Not everyone in Brisbane is close to a train or tram, much less the line that actually runs down to Nerang. So now people who are going to take the train need to drive to their local train station, catch one train into Roma St Central or Park Road, and then change to a Gold Coast train. On a weekend timetable. Or, you drive all the way down the coast anyway, park somewhere like the Helensvale shopping centre, and then get the train from there. Which also takes forever because of the queue for shuttles at the train station.

As for asking why supporters don't just go down there in general, the distance from the Gabba to Metricon is actually only a few km short between Docklands and GMHBA. So we may as well be asking why don't all the Victorian club supporters go out to Geelong when playing there too. This is laughable considering that Richmond supporters can't even seem to handle going to a stadium across the CBD, let alone another city.

It's a shithouse stadium at the best of times. The majority of the main stand faces west, so if it's an afternoon game (even remotely, the roof does nothing) then you're sitting with the sun in your face. The part of the stadium that faces east is the corporate toff toff boxes. How convenient.

The actual task of getting there from Brisbane isn't particularly fun either. The stadium is mostly set up to access by public transport. There is a car park across the road, but it's expensive and incredibly small, especially for the 25,000 capacity of the stadium. There's a nearby train station, which you can then shuttle to the ground from - brilliant, but how do you get to that? Not everyone in Brisbane is close to a train or tram, much less the line that actually runs down to Nerang. So now people who are going to take the train need to drive to their local train station, catch one train into Roma St Central or Park Road, and then change to a Gold Coast train. On a weekend timetable. Or, you drive all the way down the coast anyway, park somewhere like the Helensvale shopping centre, and then get the train from there. Which also takes forever because of the queue for shuttles at the train station.

As for asking why supporters don't just go down there in general, the distance from the Gabba to Metricon is actually only a few km short between Docklands and GMHBA. So we may as well be asking why don't all the Victorian club supporters go out to Geelong when playing there too. This is laughable considering that Richmond supporters can't even seem to handle going to a stadium across the CBD, let alone another city.

I'm not sure if it was huge factor for this particular game but the messy and clunky nature of entering barcodes into the Tiketek screen made just getting a ticket for the game harder than it need be.

We're done for this year. Can't see how selfish Cameron and daniher can play a role up front that enables us to challenge. Both lazy footballers.

We were bullied all night against the saints. Midfield was awful. Probsbly the worse game we've played in a few years. Rabble of a club.

Always the measured and non-reactionary posting from you. :rolleyes:

We're done for this year. Can't see how selfish Cameron and daniher can play a role up front that enables us to challenge. Both lazy footballers.

We were bullied all night against the saints. Midfield was awful. Probsbly the worse game we've played in a few years. Rabble of a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. Rabble of a club.

Hang your head in shame.. that is an insult to the people who have completely turned this club around from the rabble that it was but isn't anymore.

Our team played terrible, we all know that. No team plays brilliantly every week and they will need to lift their game against Richmond, but to call the club a rabble is way way out of line.

Every team this season has had at least 1 bad loss to weaker opposition and we are no acception, saying we're done is an overreaction. We're still in the top 4 and its probably best we get these performances out of the way now instead of finals. We'll learn from the humility and bounce back, we've already proven this year we're capable of turning out our worst performance and immediately responding it with our best the next week. Top 2 is still a possibility, our season is far from over.

Every team this season has had at least 1 bad loss to weaker opposition and we are no acception, saying we're done is an overreaction. We're still in the top 4 and its probably best we get these performances out of the way now instead of finals. We'll learn from the humility and bounce back, we've already proven this year we're capable of turning out our worst performance and immediately responding it with our best the next week. Top 2 is still a possibility, our season is far from over.
Happy to go along with that but there's a little element of truth in the Charlie and Joe comments. Charlie needs to start presenting and running around more instead of hanging out the back. He was doing it when he was hungry. I still can't quite figure Joe out .I'm tiring of the unrealistic marking attempts but I suppose he disrupts the pack if we have the crumbers there. I'd like to see him lead up occasionally as well. You wouldn't think anyone could spoil him with a low kick to the lead.

Thought we shot ourselves in the foot leaving so many in the forward line when the ball was around our defence 50 line. It was flooded, we were very deep. Would have moved everyone bad Cameron further up field.

I wonder if Fullarton is being held back by the lack of leadership in the 2s. In the seniors focused on his leading patterns with the support of the other forwards could really help him rather than teaming up with Henry Smith, Blake Coleman, etc. in the VFL

yep every team had a bad game.. Round 1 was not great as well.
Although we just had a bad half a few weeks ago against the demons to go with the Saints game.
Dogs game was similar as well. A few things in common on each loss
Midfield is a worry when teams get a run on. We lack speed. Lacking one good mid. Berry and Rayner missed. Maybe Cockatoo can stay fit.
We also seem to under pressure just bomb into forward 50, do not lower eyes.. Although forwards need to spread more. Lead up to players.
Need to work through the Saints,dogs game and second half of Demons games
Have a plan to stop the bleed when it happens. We really lack a plan B it seems.. Charlie went into the square with like 5 mins to go.

Why not throw some pieces around and see if it works.
All the talk about having players play at both ends and only Ah Chee moves.
Do you throw Rich in the centre for 10 mins or Starc even Madden., If the mids getting beaten try something.
Adams forward. McStay back.
Just like to try something when teams get on top.. Not just doing the same thing and hope.
Yes we won lots of games.. we also got smashed in a few almost the same why.. Overlap and run through the middle.
You think teams will try it more and more now.

I wonder if Fullarton is being held back by the lack of leadership in the 2s. In the seniors focused on his leading patterns with the support of the other forwards could really help him rather than teaming up with Henry Smith, Blake Coleman, etc. in the VFL
maybe I do worry having so many young kids in the twos does not help. The ball coming into forward 50 not great at times.
We end up with players playing in spots to cover.
Really would not mind them getting some older players in next year.
So we can develop our young list.. not just throw some academy kids in and hope.
Learning running patterns with bad incoming disposal and other young talls like H Smith and Lane who learning as well. yep not great
I still worry about Fullartons contested marking though.

Although we just had a bad half a few weeks ago against the demons to go with the Saints game.
Midfield is a worry when teams get a run on. We lack speed. Lacking one good mid. Berry and Rayner missed. Maybe Cockatoo can stay fit.
We also seem to under pressure just bomb into forward 50, do not lower eyes.. Although forwards need to spread more. Lead up to players.
Have a plan to stop the bleed when it happens. We really lack a plan B it seems.. Charlie went into the square with like 5 mins to go.

Do you throw Rich in the centre for 10 mins or Starc even Madden., If the mids getting beaten try something.
Just like to try something when teams get on top.. Not just doing the same thing and hope.
Yes we won lots of games.. we also got smashed in a few almost the same why.. Overlap and run through the middle.

I don't think it was as one-sided as you suggest. They kicked 4 goals in about 7 minutes and we managed to wrestle back the momentum.

We also kicked 1.7 in the last so we were creating a lot of scoring opportunities

Ah Chees about as natural a hard checking small forward as you could get. Moves in very quickly for the tackle. Can take a big grab . Has kicked good opportunistic goals this year on very limited opportunities. They don't seem to have quite worked it out yet. Maybe Prior can fill his spot in defence . I realise everyone loves Madden but I'm just wondering whether he could taper off this year.

We've gone from best team in the comp and flag favourites to a basket case and done, in 1 week (to some). It was average and Hipwood is a blow for sure, but it's not worth throwing the whole season away over.
I think tbh everyone was overrating our chances a week ago and now they're underrating them.

The other thing I'm not sold on is how everyone looks at the draw and says this or that will happen. That theory gets blown up every year . Anyone can beat anyone these days if you're not on your game. Collingwood was written off as a basket case 2 weeks ago now they're a threat. Even to us. We have to play the Dockers in Perth . That's hardly a gimme. Richmond this week is half a toss up . Everyone pencilled in last weeks game as a gimme and we got belted.

The season's hardly begun for most clubs in contention.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about Richy mixing up his kick-ins a bit....and as happened he did (not because of my post , coincidence) and that was the last time we really played well imo...I've noticed again that he's kicking mostly to the left of screen as he does majority of times.

If I notice things like that, so will other teams and are prepared for it. Lets have our own little plan that's not so obvious at the kick-ins.

Back