Review Round 17, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against Geelong

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we're going to drop our bundle after one game ,we've come too far.

Injuries and sore players mean a chance for someone else where there was none before.

I's not a game I minded losing apart from the Metricon factor because they were way too good , we never looked like it after half time , they played a smart physical brand of football with a great team ethic and we probably wouldn't have beaten them even if we played a whole lot better.

Think they should have a couple of days of rest to be honest .
They looked tired out there .

The rest they'll get is the 5 days before the tigertrash game. I think that should be sufficient. We need to keep getting toughened up by our circumstances. Some of those Vic clubs, ie, c'wood and b!tchmond, are entitled campaigners because they get an easy ride. Our 3peat teams knew how to turn adverse conditions into motivation. If we want to be a flag team we need to harden the * up.

The rest they'll get is the 5 days before the tigertrash game. I think that should be sufficient. We need to keep getting toughened up by our circumstances. Some of those Vic clubs, ie, c'wood and b!tchmond, are entitled campaigners because they get an easy ride. Our 3peat teams knew how to turn adverse conditions into motivation. If we want to be a flag team we need to harden the fu** up.
We know this and have proven that we are a hard side that can play a tough brand of football.

But some of our highest paid players need to take more of a leadership role rather than a prima donna role which they've done on occasions this season.

I don't think we're going to drop our bundle after one game ,we've come too far.

Injuries and sore players mean a chance for someone else where there was none before.

I's not a game I minded losing apart from the Metricon factor because they were way too good , we never looked like it after half time , they played a smart physical brand of football with a great team ethic and we probably wouldn't have beaten them even if we played a whole lot better.

You don't think we would've beaten them even if we'd played better?!? We are Top 4. I don't know where they are on the ladder because they aren't The Lions and I don't care, but they are not. Top 4 beats not top 4 (or even top 8) any day of the week! Or at least should, otherwise what relevance does "Top 4" even have??

After next week it will be 4 games in 4 states, living out of suitcases - upon refection it's not surprising we laid an egg.

Next week becomes massive now.

After the Hawks game it will be 6 games in 4 states on the road, living in hotel rooms (if QLD remains a red zone)

I know it's a running gag but sometimes sleeping in your own bed does make a difference

We know this and have proven that we are a hard side that can play a tough brand of football.

But some of our highest paid players need to take more of a leadership role rather than a prima donna role which they've done on occasions this season.

I do agree that some of our senior players need to stop being so easily downcast when things don't go our way. My response to ceebee was simply saying, in response to the tone of their post, that we only get the rest that's there rather than anything extra.

It's bizarre because the saints haven't shown how to beat us because other teams in the 8 already know what they would need to do. If they lost, like the tigers and port did, it's because we were better/they didn't have the necessary skill to pull it off. Anyone whose been watching our games knows this.

I think the Saints have reinforced it given they're an average team who had success with it. I think there's plenty of teams that hadn't learnt the lesson from Melbourne alone given we haven't lost every week since then, and throwing it all on the "we were better" and "they didn't have the skills" is a bit reductionist. St Kilda is not known for good skills yet they still pulled it off. Claiming Melbourne gave the competition the ideal blueprint and the competition has all been trying and failing to execute it against us is demonstrably incorrect.

We were so looking forward to our first trip to Metricon. Losing the game, Hippy's injury and then the 1 hour to get back on the M1from the Metricon car park just seemed an apt finish to a rather shitty night.
Gee 1 hour, I'm so glad we decided not to go down for it... nearly did, Metricon is an abomination.

We were so looking forward to our first trip to Metricon. Losing the game, Hippy's injury and then the 1 hour to get back on the M1from the Metricon car park just seemed an apt finish to a rather shitty night.
The 3/4’s of an hour from the seven eleven through to be able to get dropped off was the killer for me.
After I walked into the game just before Hippy’s injury, well I just never got into the game after that.

I've been to Metricon about 6 times over the years and I've never felt any sort of excitement or energy at that venue.

Even when we flogged Gold Coast earlier this year, it was hard to feel any genuine passion.

I've tried but failed to generate any sort of empathy for the place.

Then there's the injuries......ACL city.

Rayner and Hippy this season but there was also Rich in Round Three, 2014.

Only shitty things seem to come out of our trips there.

Maybe Fages should do a Hardwick and have a whinge about it being a soul-less place to play.:think:

I've been to Metricon about 6 times over the years and I've never felt any sort of excitement or energy at that venue.

Even when we flogged Gold Coast earlier this year, it was hard to feel any genuine passion.

Maybe Fages should do a Hardwick and have a whinge about it being a soul-less place to play.:think:
Gabba = G
Metricon = Marvel.
It just has no Soul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should push to have Q Clashes in Cairns or Riverway

I'm swimming against the tide, but I like Metricon. Has a small town feel about it that I like.

The first game I went to down there was a lions vs suns practice match with my son who was about ten. Can't remember the year, but as McGrath was playing. It's was a night game, pouring rain and we sat in the fence with no one around us. We yelled and cheered, got totally soaked and splashed our way back to the car.

Can't remember the score, just remember it as magically fun night.

I'm swimming against the tide, but I like Metricon. Has a small town feel about it that I like.

The first game I went to down there was a lions vs suns practice match with my son who was about ten. Can't remember the year, but as McGrath was playing. It's was a night game, pouring rain and we sat in the fence with no one around us. We yelled and cheered, got totally soaked and splashed our way back to the car.

Glad someone had fun at some point in the distant past.

Sounds like a great night but more to do with some great bonding time with your son maybe? Same scenario at the Gabba would have been better. ;)

Bit worried about Starc n concussion...been off with a couple of head knocks lately.

The 2 games I have been there have been really good experiences, its a nice ground to watch on a perfect afternoon or a twilight game. Almost every seat has a good view and it's not as cramped as the gabba.

Sounds like a great night but more to do with some great bonding time with your son maybe? Same scenario at the Gabba would have been better. ;)

Awesome bonding moment, so maybe it's returning to the scene that works. Did a lot of games down there last year and didn't mind them. The breeze from the open end gets a bit chilly at times.

That loss really exposed how poor our bottom rung of players are and I'm talking about Coleman (who has been putrid for weeks now), Madden (I know its only early days, but he ain't up to it in big games)Ah Chee and Mathieson (I was a fan and sure, he went ok against Adelaide, but he is pretty hacky and shouldn't be in a top 4 team) and even Birchall (when we are flying you think cool, what an inspired recruit, but when we are not, can you really say that he is our stand out that stands up? Nup, he's usually the one stinking it up. What's worse is that we have have almost zero cattle not in the ones.

My other observation from the game was how mentally weak we were by actually allowing a team like the Saints boss us around and throw us off. I honestly thought we were much better than that and now that we have lost Hippy, Darcy and Cam for the season, we are NO hope of actually doing anything decent come finals time other than maybe win a game.

On top of that we have pea hearted efforts all night from the likes of Charlie and Joe who were both awful and should be ashamed of their BS efforts (if it was the first time you'd give them slack, but like Birch, they are ALWAYS the worst offenders when we're getting beat). I was livid with some of the efforts of Lyons, Bailey, Harris and Lachie to but gee that effort has left me gutted and knocked me aspirations for the team.

Back