Preview Round 17 - Sydney vs Bulldogs Fri 8th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm predicting Mills will have a big one. He'd be filthy about last week as a leader and total professional. No idea where the myth came from that us not having him in the midfield somehow cost us. He had the equal-2nd most CBAs for us in the disastrous second quarter, and was top 3 for us in CBAs in the fourth quarter that ultimately cost us. The midfield and our game actually worked best in the first quarter, when Mills wasn't even in our top 4 for CBAs. He still ended up with 15 CBAs for the match, just below his season average of 16, and he still ended up in our top 4 for CBAs.

He just didn't fire, for whatever reason. But when will media journos and footy writers get it through their head? Resting on a wing/flank instead of on the bench =/= not playing on the inside.

Horse got absolutely blasted for this coaching move that didn't actually happen.

I'm predicting Mills will have a big one. He'd be filthy about last week as a leader and total professional. No idea where the myth came from that us not having him in the midfield somehow cost us. He had the equal-2nd most CBAs for us in the disastrous second quarter, and was top 3 for us in CBAs in the fourth quarter that ultimately cost us. The midfield and our game actually worked best in the first quarter, when Mills wasn't even in our top 4 for CBAs. He still ended up with 15 CBAs for the match, just below his season average of 16, and he still ended up in our top 4 for CBAs.

He just didn't fire, for whatever reason. But when will media journos and footy writers get it through their head? Resting on a wing/flank instead of on the bench =/= not playing on the inside.

Horse got absolutely blasted for this coaching move that didn't actually happen.
He got tagged didnt he?

a lot of the mids had high numbers of CBFs

a lot of the mids had high numbers of CBFs

Four main ones were Warner, Parker, Papley and Mills. So Mills wasn't exactly starved of midfield time. He just didn't do enough with his opportunities in there. Seemed sluggish and slow to read the play. No shame in it, had about 20 others with the same condition.

He got tagged didnt he?

Not that I could recall. Didn't seem to be any extra attention paid to him from the Bombers' mids.

He had 88% TOG that game. Averaging 90% TOG over the last five matches, which is incredibly high. Pretty obvious we're literally just using his bench rotations to rest him on a wing or flank instead. If anything, it's Horse giving Mills even more ways to impact the game outside of his standard midfield time which hasn't been impacted in any way.

So effing dumb that the commentators who are paid six figures to be "experts" see footage of Mills on a flank and run with "what's Longmire doing? Get your best mid at the coalface!" like they didn't just see that Mills was just at the coalface for the last handful of stoppages in a row!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladhams owes us

The chopping n changing of our rucks isn't good for building chemistry with the mids

Hope ladhams has a big game and cements his spot for the next few weeks

His tapwork has been superior to Hickey's this year IMO and that is all I want from a ruck. No surprise that when he had a mare against Port it coincided with the end of our midfield's enjoyable but all-too-short-lived resurgence pre-bye.

Friday night and the Swans are playing the Bulldogs, and they will be determined to bounce back after a disappointing loss to the Bombers with a 4 quarter performance...... or maybe not! Much like my ex, I have no idea which version is going to turn up and whether we're going to put in a strong 4 quarter effort or leave us with another dismal performance.

Key Players

Isaac Heeney
View attachment 1438755
Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get with Heeney. At his best Heeney will dominate the inside 50, kick a bag and pull apart any midfielder you put on him. At his worst he'll drop in for an uninspiring 10 disposal effort, no goals and you'll not notice he's there. Friday night will be no different.

Jake Lloyd

No player has split the Swans fanbase more in 2022 than Jake Lloyd has. The 2x Swans Best & Fairest is seen as many as our worst performing player despite being rated elite in disposals, and above average in kicks and meters gained. Known as a solid defender, fantasy pig and number 1 player to get us out of defence, Lloyd in 2022 is the barometer for the Sydney Swans. If he turns up, we will get on top but if he puts in another poor performance he'll be target number 1 on the bigfooty board again.
View attachment 1438818

Horse
View attachment 1438561The common belief is Pyke is the brains and Horse is the heart of the Swans, but the truth is never so clear cut. Horse is a brilliant coach and gets the most out of his players yet seemingly gets caught out time and time again. Often slow to react, Horse's gameplan gets put to the sword which he can never seemingly fix until the second half. Horse puts in his best tactical performance against the top clubs but lets us get picked apart against the low lights of the league. Which Horse will turn up against the Bulldogs? Who on Earth knows.

Prediction

Honestly have no idea at this stage. It's hard to get a feel for the Swans this year, whether how we play or what performance will turn up. We've smashed teams we should have, and let Hawthorn, North and Essendon all made us look pedestrian. If I took a guess what the Swans will do, we will turn up quarters 1, 3 and the half of the 4th quarter and the match will be decided by less than a goal. OR the Doggies will destroy us OR Heeney, Lloyd and Horse will all put in their best and smash the Dogs into the ground.
rolling-you-say-picture-id1138589039
What I don’t understand here is how you are privy to the game plan. If you think you know what it is, I’d be very interested to hear what you think it is.

I read these threads and honestly…… coaches can do very little during the cut and thrust of a game. It’s the players and their ability to stay in and win the contest. At the moment we have lapses.

What I will say about horse is that the people in the know and who have currency say that he is the best coach for a young group.

If you want him gone…. Who is the replacement?

Maybe we just aren’t that good!

We squeeze the most out of our playing group every year. That’s the culture of the club and the belief in the coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back