Review Round 18, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd bet my left testicle that there have been numerous similar incidents this season that have not even resulted in a free kick much less a 1 week suspension, and I'd bet the right one that if it was a high profile Melbourne based player there would have been no case to answer.

Michael Christian is reaching and surpassing Purple levels of flogishness.

Note- I thank Dodongo and apologize for the plagiarism.
Speaking of Dodongo - where has he got to?

Probably been already discussed but if it has degenerated into mud slinging, wasn't Simpkins late hit on Neale high? If so what happens there?
There's no comparison between the Harris incident and the Simpkin one in terms of potential to cause injury yet Harris cops a week and Simpkin walks away.

Christian is either an idiot or compromised or both.

Sorry to be so blunt but even Mr.Magoo could see what was more dangerous.

I noticed the Zorko pinch in the game when the replayed the kick. Wondered what would happen there.

Laughable that Andrews cops a game for that but Ablett got off 2 out of his 3 punches and Cunnington has had 4 fines this year for high contact without a suspension. Probably not worth an appeal though if it risks an extra game being added.

Guessing Simpkin got off because Neale sort of jumped into his arms to get the handball away. So Simpkin didn't lift him (but did dump him).

I fear we have risen too close to the sun. Jealousy and vitriol is abound and the vultures have come out to play. Silly Lions don't you know you're only supposed to *nearly* do well? Know your place you filthy interstaters.

This. Have they ever admitted an umpiring mistake like that before. Even Rampe shaking the post they waffled around. Now this!!! But we are getting a bit above our place.

Hmmmm, I actually think that everything that has been happening can be a good thing. Neale being smashed pillar to post, the medjia and AFL house going on about the ‘decision’, Harris’s charge for something so innocuous. Away from home and an us versus them mentality to switch us on for this weekend. Poor Hawks!!

I noticed the Zorko pinch in the game when the replayed the kick. Wondered what would happen there.

Laughable that Andrews cops a game for that but Ablett got off 2 out of his 3 punches and Cunnington has had 4 fines this year for high contact without a suspension. Probably not worth an appeal though if it risks an extra game being added.

Guessing Simpkin got off because Neale sort of jumped into his arms to get the handball away. So Simpkin didn't lift him (but did dump him).
Was Jed Anderson that dumped Neale in the tackle. Simpkin dumped Neale from the resulting kick.

Cunnington wasn't hitting high. Appeals don't add extra games any more.

Was Jed Anderson that dumped Neale in the tackle. Simpkin dumped Neale from the resulting kick.
IIRC that tackle would've been an instant report in the NRL because he was lifted above the horizontal.

OK.. OK.. Lets not decend straight into deep Anti-brisbane AFL led conspiracy stuff too quickly. By the letter of the law it warrents a week as the book states.

However.. time and time again the MRO / Tribunal has overturned or fined for raised elbows to the head without much force.

The AFL has made its bed here, Harris shoud get off.

Hmmmm, I actually think that everything that has been happening can be a good thing. Neale being smashed pillar to post, the medjia and AFL house going on about the ‘decision’, Harris’s charge for something so innocuous. Away from home and an us versus them mentality to switch us on for this weekend. Poor Hawks!!

I don't know, they're pretty formidable at York Park. And let me tell you, no one jumps on a team quicker after a win than Tasmanian Hawthorn fans. Unbearable at the best of times but if they win on Saturday, so help me. I'm going to seek solace in the Victorian Lions fans (and the decent # of Tassie Lions fans) that rock up if everything goes to s h!t.

AFL trying to appease some people after saturday nights debacle. I suggest we have no chance at all against Hawks as the umpires will be dead against us.

Ach now laddie none o' that - for what ye say ta be true ye'd have to be thinkin' our glorious umpirin' fraternity was affected by agendas an' issues outwith the game at hand!

What amazes me is that still 48 hours on, the media are still banging on about the free to McInerney, yet not one iota of discussion about the ridiculous Ben Brown free moments earlier. I get that the latter decision fills no narrative and it is easy to isolate one incident, but even again on AFL Tonight it was just the McInerney free. No doubt the 4 other shows tonight will be doing the same thing.:rolleyes:

Or the fact that we won by two goals. They could have paid that mark, we intercepted the kick and score. Then the final centre bounce and we score as per our last games.

The hate for Zorko on their board sustains me.

Hilarious sanctimony coming from a supporter base that worshipped one of the all time cheapshotting grubs in Glen Archer.

And off all the supporter bases to talk about extra-marital activities of captains...

Bless their cotton socks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Neale 25
J.Lyons 22
Zorko 22 (5w)
Robinson 18 wing
McCluggage 17 (15w, 2i)
J.Berry 14 (8i, 6w)
Bailey 8 wing
Rayner 4
McCarthy 3
Cameron 2 (1i, 1i)

Rucks:
McInerney 12
Martin 15

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Neale 5
J.Lyons 3
Martin 2
Zorko 1
J.Berry 1
McCluggage 1
Cameron 1

First Half - 14

Neale 13
J.Lyons 11
J.Berry 10 (6i, 4w)
Robinson 9 wing
McCluggage 7 (6w, 1i)
Bailey 4 wing
Rayner 3 (2i, 1w)
McCarthy 3
Cameron 2 (1i, 1w)

McInerney 6
Martin 8

Final Term - 9

Neale 9
Zorko 9 (1w)
J.Lyons 8
McCluggage 8 wing
Robinson 7 wing
Bailey 2 wing
J.Berry 1
Rayner 1

Martin 4
McInerney 5

Notes (pertain to the 10 analysed games this season and from previous seasons)
- Most starts for Jarryd Lyons at Brisbane, and most overall since Rd 8, 2018
- Equal highest starts for Bailey
- 2nd equal highest starts for Rayner this season

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Neale 25
J.Lyons 22
Zorko 22 (5w)
Robinson 18 wing
McCluggage 17 (15w, 2i)
J.Berry 14 (8i, 6w)
Bailey 8 wing
Rayner 4
McCarthy 3
Cameron 2 (1i, 1i)

Rucks:
McInerney 12
Martin 15

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Neale 5
J.Lyons 3
Martin 2
Zorko 1
J.Berry 1
McCluggage 1
Cameron 1

First Half - 14

Neale 13
J.Lyons 11
J.Berry 10 (6i, 4w)
Robinson 9 wing
McCluggage 7 (6w, 1i)
Bailey 4 wing
Rayner 3 (2i, 1w)
McCarthy 3
Cameron 2 (1i, 1w)

McInerney 6
Martin 8

Final Term - 9

Neale 9
Zorko 9 (1w)
J.Lyons 8
McCluggage 8 wing
Robinson 7 wing
Bailey 2 wing
J.Berry 1
Rayner 1

Martin 4
McInerney 5

Notes (pertain to the 10 analysed games this season and from previous seasons)
- Most starts for Jarryd Lyons at Brisbane, and most overall since Rd 8, 2018
- Equal highest starts for Bailey
- 2nd equal highest starts for Rayner this season

Not sure your congratulations were sincere considering your preamble on the Norf board! ;)

Cheers for the stats though!

Hilarious sanctimony coming from a supporter base that worshipped one of the all time cheapshotting grubs in Glen Archer.

Yeah, the way they're carrying on, you'd think he'd been caught red handed, nailing his best mates missus in the toilet at his best mates place. All after an ongoing affair, while captaining said best mate. Whilst being captain of our Team of the Century.

And off all the supporter bases to talk about extra-marital activities of captains...

Bless their cotton socks!

Yes bless 'em...No mention that they were up all Saturday and Sunday nights making Zorko voodoo dolls?

What amazes me is that still 48 hours on, the media are still banging on about the free to McInerney, yet not one iota of discussion about the ridiculous Ben Brown free moments earlier. I get that the latter decision fills no narrative and it is easy to isolate one incident, but even again on AFL Tonight it was just the McInerney free. No doubt the 4 other shows tonight will be doing the same thing.:rolleyes:
Ch7 show tonight was quite fair saying they should also pass verdict on the Brown decision. Darcy was pro Lions.

Come now mate, we all know you're better than this. Maybe not Filthy, but definitely you!
Mate I'm just here to politely ask if Christensen still has some of Scotty's nad stuck to his boot.

*I know it was an accident.

Save the hate guys Norf not worth it. For me they just an irrelevant, nothing club. Let’s face it everyone just shrugs their shoulders when it comes to them. They evoke about as much emotion as the bye for me.

Back