Round 18, Box Hill Hawks v Werribee Tigers, Sat, 28 July, 2.00pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill returns home after a three-leg away trip to play its second last home game of the season (assuming Box Hill doesn't finish fifth or sixth). A win over the third-placed Werribee Tigers would go a long way to securing a top four finish, but a loss could put Box Hill in danger of missing the finals altogether, as the Hawks sit fifth ahead on percentage of Bendigo Gold, Sandringham and North Ballarat, with Williamstown a further two points back.

So there's plenty up for stake on Saturday, with the clubs also playing for the Beyond Blue Cup.

bhh-vs-werribee.gif

The development squad kicks things off at 11.00am, with the seniors playing from 2.00pm.

Teams to follow...

Box Hill Hawks:
B: Duryea Gilham Thompson
HB: Mirra Cheney T.Murphy
C: Bateman Hallahan Hill
HF: Ellis Lowden Wanganeen
F: Pratt McCauley Pattison
Foll: Bailey Schneider Andrews
Int from: Jones Tobin Muston Litherland Lock Hughes X.Murphy Graham Gilchrist

Werribee:
B: O'Dwyer Kennedy Mangan
HB: Harding Hartigan Wormald
C: Lynch Greenwood Ross
HF: Bolton Pedersen Warren
F: McIntosh McKinley Castello
Foll: Daw Speight Sierakowski
Int from: Sherlock Moloney Sharp Ruggles Davis Mather Purton-Smith Ablett Sullivan

If Ellis is standing and on the field at the final siren I will dead set lose my s**t!

Bye bye J-Bo you degenerate.....

Note, ex-Hawk rookie Sirra playing for Werribee

I assume Boumann's absence is due to his hand injury and nothing more sinister??

That's a strong side. Eight point game for the Stangers. McIntosh is a big in. McKinley, Warren & Pederson make up an impressive Werribee forward line.

Good to see Ellis & Wanganeen back. Only Kelly, Langford & Frank missing.

I assume Boumann's absence is due to his hand injury and nothing more sinister??

That's a strong side. Eight point game for the Stangers. McIntosh is a big in. McKinley, Warren & Pederson make up an impressive Werribee forward line.

Good to see Ellis & Wanganeen back. Only Kelly, Langford & Frank missing.

Good point re Langers, bit concerned about him. According to the Mark Evans report he was due this week. I saw him last week and I can say that i'm not sure who would win an arm wrestle between Langers and Ellis, but i'm sure it would be funny. I believe Langers will get one more year on the rookie list ... needs to get some consistent game time to get a chance of being elevated.

Good to hear 'stangers'

Flogged Werribee last time at Werribee. I'm not going to go back and check, but it looks a very similar to the team that played Werribbe last time.

Good chance for Lowden to show what he can do against an AFL quality ruck. No Majak to embarrass this time.

Of course, a friendly little reminder that there will be coverage of the Box Hill v Werribee match on 3WBC 94.1 FM and online at 3wbc.org.au

Broadcast begins at 1pm and first bounce is at 2pm

Sorry for the dumb questions, but is it a final six and are there 20 rounds? Would love BH to make it through!

22 rounds in the home & away season and a final eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Dixie, I thought both were abbreviated - though for the fixture I should've just looked on the VFL site. Surely we'll make the 8 - touching wood ...

Bad loss for the Stangers. An incredible 21 scoring shots to 14 and we went down!! This was a must win considering our last three rounds are Port at Port, a bye, and Bendigo at Bendigo.

Box Hill Hawks
0.3 3.5 4.13 5.16 (46)
Werribee Tigers
3.1 5.1 7.1 10.4 (64)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Murphy 2 Hughes Pratt Andrews

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Jones Gilham Pattison Thompson Andrews Hallahan

Great day in the rain. Wasted opportunities and a lack of a forward option cost us the game. I'm happy to post a report later on once I get home.

Good news X got through!!! Had a bit of a thumb scare otherwise ok.

He survived unscathed! Just a day for X. He looked a fair way off it fitness wise.

Filthy day weather wise. They were far more efficient and despite having less of the footy they ran out convincing winners. Our forwardline was way too top heavy but it shows that BHH will put game time into HFC guys at the expense of the result.

Sticks Lowden rucked and rested at FF. His tap work was good and I reckon he broke even with McIntosh at stoppages.

Stevie G went alright at FB. He's moving well.

Hill buzzed up and down the wing. Repeatedly had to run down the loose footy on fast breaks. Never shirked a chase and his skills stood up to the elements.

Hallahan played as a tagger. Stuck to his task all day. Good aggressive effort.

Did not mind Doc Duryea down back. Kept his nose over the ball and his skills were very good. Performances like today will not hurt him.

Big bustling Broc does a lot of good things. If he ever gets rid of the timidness he could play decent AFL.

Changa bounced around and contested a number of ruck hit outs as third man up. Not much of a day from him but he is fit and good to go if required.

Did not see JBo at the ground. Make of that what you will.

Wanganeen did not play .

Ellis was good , got thru ok

Was just a case of ineffective footy and wasted opportunity ... our forward line was inept ... Werribee took their chances and deservedly won.

Chance did some good things and Taylor Durea is getting better all the time. Hill worked very hard but was largely ineffective.

Just seemed to be a lack of intensity to win at all costs and Werribee were first to the ball for most of the day.

And the umpires were ordinary .

According to an article in The Age today:

"Hawthorn midfielder Xavier Ellis returned successfully from a strained medial ligament with 17 disposals and played out the entire match for Box Hill yesterday.
Chance Bateman also got some solid game time into him, but it was defender Stephen Gilham that was perhaps the most impressive for Box Hill in his aim to push for selection against Geelong."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/podsiadly-impresses-on-return-20120728-233ig.html#ixzz220bv4BLv

I went to City Oval hoping to have a look at how the boys had progressed this year as I have only seen a couple of games plus one on the ABC. On paper we seemed to have a reasonable team, but it was real wet weather footy all day. I thought Werribee handled the conditions better than we did, brought the ball into their forward line with more purpose and obviously kicked straighter. it was certainly a contrast to the silky skills and pinpoint ball movement of the seniors on Friday night.
The main positive was to see Ellis get through the game unscathed and show a bit of touch as well. He is a bit too classy for VFL and will play For the seniors this year if his body holds up.

Other tHan that my comments would be similar to the good Friar. Bit disappointing really as I was hoping for good conditions for the boys to better showcase their skills Oh well I will try to get back again in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back