Review Round 19, 2017 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate bringing it up... for crying out loud that umpiring was so crap, absolutely destroyed us in the 2nd qtr. would we have won? No. But I still can't get over some of the calls and non calls. I was watching with some 1 eyed eagle fans and they even admitted they were getting the rub of the green.

It's wasn't that bad honestly. The Cox tackle was annoying for me because the umpire just stopped communicating. You should hear a play on or something if player were to continue but he froze up. The tackle could have been in the back but it should have been ball. Other than that I think it was fine in hindsight. We got the luck last week against Carlton. Umpiring is hard, it always will be. If anyone wants to have a go I recommend signing up to umpire your local juniors comp on Sundays (in Brisbane at least). Really fun.

OK

So who are #1 and #2?

1 : Lever (Ade)
2 : Hambling (Fre)
3 : Andrews (Bri)
4 : Marchbank (Car)
5 : Frost (Mel)
6 : Mcstay (Bri)
7 : Plowman (Car)
8 : Melican (Syd)
9 : Barrass (WC)
10 : O McDonald (Mel)

Can't say I agree with Marchbank being so high and O McDonald being so low

I hate bringing it up... for crying out loud that umpiring was so crap, absolutely destroyed us in the 2nd qtr. would we have won? No. But I still can't get over some of the calls and non calls. I was watching with some 1 eyed eagle fans and they even admitted they were getting the rub of the green.

It's wasn't that bad honestly. The Cox tackle was annoying for me because the umpire just stopped communicating. You should hear a play on or something if player were to continue but he froze up. The tackle could have been in the back but it should have been ball. Other than that I think it was fine in hindsight. We got the luck last week against Carlton. Umpiring is hard, it always will be. If anyone wants to have a go I recommend signing up to umpire your local juniors comp on Sundays (in Brisbane at least). Really fun.

1 : Lever (Ade)
2 : Hambling (Fre)
3 : Andrews (Bri)
4 : Marchbank (Car)
5 : Frost (Mel)
6 : Mcstay (Bri)
7 : Plowman (Car)
8 : Melican (Syd)
9 : Barrass (WC)
10 : O McDonald (Mel)

Can't say I agree with Marchbank being so high and O McDonald being so low

Lever? In the games I've seen he's an intercept marker. Don't get me wrong, he does it well, but have I missed games where he plays one on one against the top forwards?

Schache has gotten ~15 disposals in two of his three games back. He's playing fine and we can't drop him now. Needs consistent stints to perform.

What about McStay and Schache as the two lock down defenders and Andrews as the third intercept defender instead of Gardiner. Walker, Skinner and Hipwood as the key forwards.

Lever? In the games I've seen he's an intercept marker. Don't get me wrong, he does it well, but have I missed games where he plays one on one against the top forwards?

And I doubt he's taken into account the difference in being a defender in the bottom team vs the top side.

When I think American and eating I think portion sizes or you talking South American 3KZ?

y9fhbvkg-1374201797.jpg
The Chef who was presenting was from Brazil and it was more South American than U.S.A style. Still ate plenty.

The umpire that didn't call the Cox tackle really needs to be dropped.

There is just no reasoning whatsoever for the umpire not to call HTB unless he was out and out bias.

Seriously one of the worst non-decisions of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever is 3rd tall behind talia & hartigan/otten

He is the beneficiary of a false economy with 20% salary increase not a million dollar defender. Not yet anyway

What about when the Eagles player just ran the ball through the goals with no one within 5 or so metres? They may as well scrub their so-called new interpretation. The Cox tackle non-decision was a big clanger. Overall the umpires were OK (given we usually get the last picked) but that patch in the second quarter was hard to take.

That tackle was absolutely the highlight of the game. So was Cox's. Criminal that Cox wasn't rewarded. I hope they dock the umpires' pays for not rewarding that.

mate that was absolutely disgusting, i was up yelling at the tv, umpires really did a number on us in the 2nd quarter and killed the contest

Poor old Darcy couldn't do a thing right today. So bloody frustrating to watch. Darling torched him early, but it wasn't just that. He lost his footing at crucial stages(not on his own there) skills were terrible(normally serviceable)He just had one of those days where he couldn't do anything right. Whether he gets dropped or not, no idea. Might be a straight swap for McStay and considering Skinner will more than likely stay in after a good debut, it looks like Close might be the stiff one for Hipwood. Still a very tall side.
On the game, great to see Rich get some quality ball. Beams was a warrior with Taylor again busy( few fumbles early). Nice debut also by Allison, and despite giving away a few frees, though Robbo tried his heart out.
We really didn't take advantage of our supposed ruck dominance. Thought Steph was disappointing in that regard.
We also seemed to go back to the old" here you have it" set up with handballs to teammates under the hammer.Sounds funny, but we missed the calm heads of our 2 first year guns in Berry and Clug.
Not surprised with today's result, frustrated but not surprised.

Are you sure hipwood doesn't need another week of rest? ;)

Ins - Smith, Cutler, mcluggage, berry, Zorko, hipwood, mcstay

Out - Martin, Keays, jansen, Matheson, Schache, Barrett, gardiner
Why do people want Keays dropped? Yeesh, that would send entirely the wrong message.
We lost the contested possession count 152-135. 8 eagles had 10+ contested vs only 3 for us. Keays had 12.
So yeah let's drop him, this contested possession rubbish is overrated.

Last edited:
Thought Walker was pretty good, kept Darling quiet after he towled up gardiner. Next week I reckon we go in with Hipwood, Schache and Walker up forward, with McStay and Andrews down back. We can swing Walker, Andrews and McStay up and back if we want as well so it's pretty flexible.

Thought Walker was pretty good, kept Darling quiet after he towled up gardiner. Next week I reckon we go in with Hipwood, Schache and Walker up forward, with McStay and Andrews down back. We can swing Walker, Andrews and McStay up and back if we want as well so it's pretty flexible.

Fagan is big on players that can be moved around with the changing momentum in the game. I like it - less of those frustrating games where we are getting smashed but keep on doing the same thing. Far less shouting at the tv this year.

Missed McStay majorly. Probably more so than Zorko. Cringe worthy stuff when Harris has to contest the ball when it's on the ground. Gumby and slow... but so damn good in the air.
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see mcstay again this year...on ice

Back