Prediction Round 2 ins and outs vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well kudos to you mr beverage. Stuck with the team that stuck fat to smash Freo. Well done to my namesake to get another opportunity this week. So excited for the kid - another tall mid/forward to keep rotating through and looks exceedingly comfortable in both roles. Going to be 100 gamer plus I am calling it now :D:cool::thumbsu:

Midfields will not be able to get on top of us like they did at times last year, Libba is one of the best defensive clearance players going around. How many times last week did he hit where the ball was causing it to spill instead of tackling/attacking the man. Even if they get first service from the ruck, libba back will stop the extended runs of clean clearances

I mean if Fyfe Mundy Neal and Barlow couldn't get a sniff, what damage are Steven/armitage going to be able to do.

Not worried in the slightest this week, if we come with the right mindset we will cruise. And I expect that after finals last year the Melbourne style meltdowns will be a thing of the past

Good point on Libba. Was anyone else surprised by just how good Libba was in that game? I wasn't fully convinced from his intraclub or NAB. Thought he would ease back into it and take a while to get into the speed and flow of the game. A year is a lot time in footy and the game evolves so I thought he would need to find his feet.

But he was just incredible. He really looked like he hadn't had a year off. He attacked the contest so hard and his skills were sharp. And physically he is in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Looks like he has packed on some muscle and just looks like a brute. It's scary to think how good our midfield could be this year.

my days of worrying about our supposedly undersized backline are over. It's all about getting a pack of aerially adept guys and having them just switch on everyone. Wood last week for extended periods was running around on Pav.

Where the saints could get us is pretty simple, contested footy dominance. They have a hefty brigade of bigger bodies and an in form ruck.

Luckily this year we've added Libba, Dahl's now more settled playing heavy midfield minutes and Dunkley's a nice old lump, probably giving us more versatility than one of Honey or Hrovat, who both played last year.
Yeah I have to admit that there's more upside to playing Dunkley than honey or hrovat atm. a month ago I was sure those boys would get more game time this year, but now I'm not so sure

Well kudos to you mr beverage. Stuck with the team that stuck fat to smash Freo. Well done to my namesake to get another opportunity this week. So excited for the kid - another tall mid/forward to keep rotating through and looks exceedingly comfortable in both roles. Going to be 100 gamer plus I am calling it now :D:cool::thumbsu:

So happy to see Dunkley rewarded. He is in my supercoach team though so I may be biased about wanting him to play.

Named Bontempelli at CHF and the midfield does not look like it has a remote weak link on paper. Likewise - Murph named at HFP and the backline seemingly zero impact. I'm officially excited about our list

Keepthelidonkeepthelidonkeepthelidon....

Last edited:
I can definitely see why people aren't confident going into this game, the 'aints are our bogey side, and often drag us down to their level.

However, there are key differences we have now, compared to the two games against them last year, like:

• Libba is back. As mentioned previously, he changes the whole dynamic of our midfield. He stops teams getting a run-on of clearances and he is an excellent kick. Honestly, who do the 'aints have on the inside who compares with Libba? You could make an argument for Armitage, but that's about it. Libba is a more complete player either way.
  • Marcus Adams. Remember Wood intercepting everything last year? Now we have a carbon copy of Easton playing alongside him doing largely the same thing. He has some mongrel in him, and a booming kick which could get over the Saints defensive press.
  • Steven, Armitage, Ross, Montagna, Savage vs Libba, Wallis, Macrae, Bont, Hunter (or Stevens). Combined with our half-back line who win a lions share of the ball, we should win a lot more contested and uncontested possession. Honestly, after Armitage and Steven, is anyone really worried about any 'aints mids?
  • The thing about the 'aints playing a 3-tall forward line means that when the ball hits the deck (and it will, as our mids will pressure their kicks into the 50) is that our half-back line will have a field day. Put Riewoldt on a wing? Just means that Adams/Wood have an easier time of zoning off and intercepting. I'm not worried about Riewoldt getting the ball on the wing, he only managed to get 10 possessions against the Power (yes, I realise he wasn't fit). Hunter has a big tank, as does JJ. We're fine here.
  • The reason the Saints looked decent last week is that the power can't defend. I mean, as someone mentioned previously, they often allowed 2-3 'aints players free forward of the ball, so they just waltzed it in. Can't see the same happening against us.
  • Dunstan, Sinclar, Billings, Weller vs Dalh, Picken, Stevens, Daniel. This is where the difference really becomes noticeable between our midfields. Classier, harder and know how to get the job done.
To summarise, if we bring the same pressure that we did against Freo, I feel this should be a 30-40 point win. They'll give us a scare in a quarter, possibly two, but we'll pull away for a comfortable win as the good teams do. There is no team I want to beat more than the 'aints. Go Dogs!

What the hell is Bev doing! Ridiculous selection!*

*saying this so I can say I'll never doubt you again Bev on Saturday night, before repeating my bewilderment next Thursday.

Last week I was at a function at Warragul and had to rely on twitter for results. For around 10 minutes had to put up with a gloating Melbourne supporter which is unusual for them, but see what a win does. He went on about the Dogs weak backline, their inability to close out games, and how Brendan McCartney didn't like Simon Garlick, and how Daniel Cross still doesn't like him, but overall he said the reason we are going well is all down to McCartney and his tough approach............my response..........I went and got another beer. Just thought I would share this wondrous moment with you all.

Great to see no changes, you couldn't really change this side after their fantastic victory over Ross Lyon's Dockers. Let's roll Ross's ex side as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can definitely see why people aren't confident going into this game, the 'aints are our bogey side, and often drag us down to their level.

However, there are key differences we have now, compared to the two games against them last year, like:

• Libba is back. As mentioned previously, he changes the whole dynamic of our midfield. He stops teams getting a run-on of clearances and he is an excellent kick. Honestly, who do the 'aints have on the inside who compares with Libba? You could make an argument for Armitage, but that's about it. Libba is a more complete player either way.
  • Marcus Adams. Remember Wood intercepting everything last year? Now we have a carbon copy of Easton playing alongside him doing largely the same thing. He has some mongrel in him, and a booming kick which could get over the Saints defensive press.
  • Steven, Armitage, Ross, Montagna, Savage vs Libba, Wallis, Macrae, Bont, Hunter (or Stevens). Combined with our half-back line who win a lions share of the ball, we should win a lot more contested and uncontested possession. Honestly, after Armitage and Steven, is anyone really worried about any 'aints mids?
  • The thing about the 'aints playing a 3-tall forward line means that when the ball hits the deck (and it will, as our mids will pressure their kicks into the 50) is that our half-back line will have a field day. Put Riewoldt on a wing? Just means that Adams/Wood have an easier time of zoning off and intercepting. I'm not worried about Riewoldt getting the ball on the wing, he only managed to get 10 possessions against the Power (yes, I realise he wasn't fit). Hunter has a big tank, as does JJ. We're fine here.
  • The reason the Saints looked decent last week is that the power can't defend. I mean, as someone mentioned previously, they often allowed 2-3 'aints players free forward of the ball, so they just waltzed it in. Can't see the same happening against us.
  • Dunstan, Sinclar, Billings, Weller vs Dalh, Picken, Stevens, Daniel. This is where the difference really becomes noticeable between our midfields. Classier, harder and know how to get the job done.
To summarise, if we bring the same pressure that we did against Freo, I feel this should be a 30-40 point win. They'll give us a scare in a quarter, possibly two, but we'll pull away for a comfortable win as the good teams do. There is no team I want to beat more than the 'aints. Go Dogs!
Couldn't agree more, well written and composed, spot on!

hmmm doesn't excuse Reiwoldt for me but pretty dumb by Lake and not great that he wouldn't want his kids to play for us
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Brian Lake is a regular on Friday mornings with sport 927. He was on this morning (I know it is Thursday but it is Brian Lake) and a Saints fan asked him about his contact with Reiwoldt and the subsequent free kick in the prelim. Lake was ok about it, said it was something he was trying to forget, Reiwoldt milked it but good on him and said it was a club plan to target Reiwoldt physically. He said the umpires came into the rooms at half time and warned the Dogs to pull back on the physical stuff against Reiwoldt but Lake said when he was back on the ground he felt it was a final and a bit of a bump was ok.

He was later asked who he would like his boys to play for - the Bulldogs or Hawthorn. He said Hawthorn because they are a better run club. He was pressed on it and said in the last year or so the Bulldogs have got their act together but he felt the bigger more successful clubs took better care of their players both on and off the field and with a more successful club their are better opportunities for life after football.

I hate that part of the week where you stop feeling happy about the week before and start getting worried about the game ahead. Nowhere near as confident as some of you guys are. Then again, the only side I would be comfortable with at the moment are Essendon.
Ahhh, the problem is you've been drinking from the chalice of success and enjoying the taste too much. At the start of the week it was half full, but you've slurped up so much of it that it's now half empty.

I wonder whether Morris & Wood not being very offensive is why Bevo makes them play tall instead of bringing another tall in and dropping a small

Wood is trying very hard to be more attacking with the ball. Overdid it and ran into trouble at times but it's there.....

Morris was drifting forward more than I have seen before too actually now that I think of it.

Last week I was at a function at Warragul and had to rely on twitter for results. For around 10 minutes had to put up with a gloating Melbourne supporter which is unusual for them, but see what a win does. He went on about the Dogs weak backline, their inability to close out games, and how Brendan McCartney didn't like Simon Garlick, and how Daniel Cross still doesn't like him, but overall he said the reason we are going well is all down to McCartney and his tough approach............my response..........I went and got another beer. Just thought I would share this wondrous moment with you all.

* that tool. "Oh this guy ruined your team but also he's responsible for your team turning good"

Wood is trying very hard to be more attacking with the ball. Overdid it and ran into trouble at times but it's there.....

Morris was drifting forward more than I have seen before too actually now that I think of it.

He did end up on the HFF a couple of times last week but I assumed that was because he was following his man who had flooded into defense.

Yep, there was an article on Wood saying exactly that. It's a real key to our setup, if Wood can be The Interceptor and a rebounder then playing Collins, Hamling or Roberts doesn't affect our rebound as much

Zaine Cordy in for Morris down the track would help in this area too

And don't forget another likely factor in us going missing in the second half of that first game against the Saints last year was that Clay had just been carried into the rooms bawling his eyes out with a ruptured ACL and was present throughout the half time break.
That won't be a factor this time. (**touches wood**)

In fact I reckon a few of the boys would be thinking right now that they're determined to win this one for Clay.

And don't forget another likely factor in us going missing in the second half of that first game against the Saints last year was that Clay had just been carried into the rooms bawling his eyes out with a ruptured ACL and was present throughout the half time break.
That won't be a factor this time. (**touches wood**)

In fact I reckon a few of the boys would be thinking right now that they're determined to win this one for Clay.

You know, that's exactly what I hope Bev tells them, "win this one for Clay!". We all know how much emotion the 'aints will come running out with. Just as long as we can weather the storm, we'll smash them in contested possession and run them off their legs. They'll have to play Fisher on Boyd, leaving Dempster on Stringer. Jake has torn them a new one before due to that exact match-up. He'll do it again. Predicting 5-6 from Stringer this week.

Thoughts on Dunstan? Do you think this will be a big year for him ? Usually those big size midfielders start their careers of really strong and besides a handful of good games in his debut year it hasn't been the case. And a tough inside midfielder is definitely something you guys need. Do you still have faith he will be the player you thought he would be in his debut year?
I'm obviously not Joop, but after a really impressive start to his first year (including a 29 possie (15 contested), 2 goal, 7 clearance, 2 Brownlow vote game, against West Coast in Perth, in just his 3rd game) he injured his shoulder pretty badly about 10 or so games into that season and it required a reconstruction, but he toughed it out for several more weeks, before they finally pulled the pin on his year and gave him the reco, ending his season early.

It was reported recently that he then had a lot of ongoing issues with his reconstructed shoulder throughout last season and it seemed to clearly affect his form and then his confidence and he really only played to what I consider his best for about half of one game for the whole year. We also obviously tried to protect the shoulder, as he didn't spend anywhere near as much time in the guts (by far his best position) as he otherwise would have been expected to- especially after Lenny's retirement opened up a spot.

So now it's probably just a matter of him getting his confidence and form back, with his shoulder supposedly now OK again. Had 6 clearances and 9 tackles on the weekend, but just 10 possessions, so he's clearly still got a ways to go and only time will tell if he gets back to his best, pre-shoulder form and then surpasses it.

He's now almost certainly been passed by Seb Ross in the pecking order in the guts though and Sam Gilbert is another who is playing consistently good footy in there, and looks very likely to benefit from having done a preseason for the first time in about 3 years. There looks to be a lot more competition for spots in there than there was last year, when Armo and Steven in particular carried a huge load, so Luke will have to fight for a spot. Blake Acres would be breathing down his neck as well and was super-stiff to be dropped this week.

All the best on the weekend. Hope it's a cracker of a game in front of a packed house, with no injuries. The atmosphere at Etihad when it's chockers and the roof is on can be amazing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back