U18 Champs Round 2 - WA vs Vic Metro

Remove this Banner Ad

LM, how did penrith go?
Not sure what his stats were but I recall checking the team sheet a few times to see who number 3 was

Did some nice things without being a dominant player

Concur with the views expressed on Hayes, he didn't do a lot to standout to me. In fact the Victorian talls and they had a few of them - McLean, Xerri and Hayes - weren't overly influential given their size advantage

Hayes was a massive disappointment for me today.

I was shocked as he looked a shadow of the player I watched last year, he looked quite gangly and even "unco" at times today, slow hands and with his height advantage in the ruck you would have expected that he would dominate... he did not.

As forward, he didn't impress me either.
I thought he just didn't offer a lead up option and failed to present as a marking option for others further up the ground.

Sorry mate, I did not massively notice him. It is hard to keep track of a heap of players.

I had a few names I was watching and then if they did something noticeable, then I took notes on them. Penrith might have just had a very solid game without standing out for mine.
Cheers mate, he still has a few more games to catch the eye!

If you compare them to Brodie they are in that top 10 ballpark. Both are more dangerous around goal aswell. I'm still of the belief that this years top 10 will be better than last years

interesting. seems that the top end of this years draft isn't too bad but it just falls off very quickly after like 25 or so

Not sure what his stats were but I recall checking the team sheet a few times to see who number 3 was

Did some nice things without being a dominant player

Concur with the views expressed on Hayes, he didn't do a lot to standout to me. In fact the Victorian talls and they had a few of them - McLean, Xerri and Hayes - weren't overly influential given their size advantage
Thanks keys

I struggle to put together a consensus top 10. Man, I even struggle to put together a consensus top 5. Admittedly I look at the draft through Lions tinted glasses and what type of players we need.

This year it appears that we are still talking about most of the players in the top 10 discussion showing potential, but not actually performing consistently. I'm not sure if a lot of the kids playing private school footy somewhat out of sight has much to do with it.

I think back to last year, and SPS was the only top 10 kid who wasn't performing consistently by this time of the year, and that's because he had a hammy injury her just couldn't shake.

There are some players who are performing week in and week out, but they aren't top end prospects due to missing something from their game, skill set or athletic make up.

If you compare them to Brodie they are in that top 10 ballpark. Both are more dangerous around goal aswell. I'm still of the belief that this years top 10 will be better than last years
i think you are right.
i think top 15 is better but falls away quickly.
i think this will be a shallow draft with rookie upgrades galore.
the vfl doesn't have a lot of prospects nor other state leagues.
finding value late second round and beyond will test recruiters talent id this year.
next years top 10 looks cracking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 Joel Garner - I did not notice Garner most of the game, did a few nice things in the last quarter but nothing stood out to me this game. In saying that, I did struggle to really pay attention to all the VM players.

28 Noah Balta
- Seems about as quick as the queen mary, not very impressed with his game to be honest.

6 Dylan Landt
- This player is smart and is someone worth watching a lot closer in future weeks. He bobbed up in my notes quickly. It was hard to put my finger on what I liked, but he seemed very smart and dangerous around the ground. He was not on my radar, but he made me notice him. I would not mind having someone who has watched him more than me give me a great run down on his style.

14 Jack Petruccelle
- Played a lot down back and could be a poor mans McGrath. Seems to have plenty of dash and is the kind of player that gains a good 15/20 meters with is dash. Moved onto the wing and did not look out of place in the midfield, I would be keeping a closer eye on this kid in future games.

17 Adam Cerra
- Taranto was my favourite player from last years draft and this guy currently is one of my favourites. Very good inside work and my god he can lay a strong tackle. Took a few big hits and one time came off with the blood rule. Watched him in the forward line and he was playing from the goal square a few times and just knew when to lead. Seems like a very smart footballer and I would not blink at him going in the top 3 this year from my limited viewing. His game is what I expected from Fogarty, so I was glad I only had to wait a week to see someone play with this strength.

5 Patrick Naish - Another player that I did not massively have on my radar and then I watch him in the midfield basically break this guys ankle with a lovely sidestep and I pay a lot more attention. This guy has some ability and does some lovely work in the midfield. In future, I would be watching this kid a lot more closely to see how he handles the midfield. Anyone with more knowledge than myself, feel free updating me with his game style.
23 Jaidyn Stephenson - I wanted to see more from him, basically parked himself on the wing and ran hard all day. Not saying he was terrible, but I had him a strong consideration for a top 3 pick and I have a a few players ahead of him at the moment. I found his kicking to lack a touch of penetration today when compared to Rayner and Cerra.

2 Jack Higgins - Loved his first half and his work up forward and in the midfield was very good. Not at the level of Rayner and Cerra for mine, as he just does not look as damaging with his possessions. Still very solid kicking within 30m. If you're looking for a smart small forward/midfielder than he may be the player of this draft.

1 Dylan Moore Nice clearance player and I think he does his best work on the inside and once again was not on my radar to start with and started to make me take notes. Loved his body work on the inside and my only real concern is the fact he seems to through it onto his boot at times instead of spotting up a player.

37 Sam Hayes
Not sure I would be spending a top 10 pick on this kid at the moment. I am slightly worried about his love for the contest. He seems very slow with is hands. I thought our below average rucks put up a good contest with Hayes and Hayes certainly did not look amazing around the ground. Where do you play this kid? I think Ruck should be his main role and I just don't see it at the moment. (I was rated this kid highly going into this season)

19 Cameron Rayner - This kid is top 5 almost without doubt at the moment. Strong bodied midfield but I watched some of his moves around the contest and I was massively impressed. I like him roaming forward as well and looked strong overhead. It was a fight between him and Cerra for the best AFL quality player for mine today.

25 Nicholas Coffield -
My little boy stole my mobile phone so I did not read the fact someone wanted me to take notes on him. It did not matter that he was not on my radar, he made me pay attention. I think he does his best work across the HBF, might be a little short, but certainly strong in the contest, good overhead and makes nice decisions. Made a few lovely passes into the center of the ground that opened up WA.

As above. His disposal for mine is not massively damaging but it does not seem like an issue.

As above, poor for mine.

As noted above

Three of the better players for mine on the field.
Rayner and Cerra are top 5 picks for mine.

I would not be picking him with a top 10 pick, but that may just be me.

Hey man thanks heaps for updates, curious on your thoughts on N Cofffield, read reports that he plays in a similar way to H McCluggage ,the way he can set other players up around him, can you see him pushing into the top 10.
was the role Nick played on the weekend similar to that he plays at the knights ?

Hey man thanks heaps for updates, curious on your thoughts on N Cofffield, read reports that he plays in a similar way to H McCluggage ,the way he can set other players up around him, can you see him pushing into the top 10.
was the role Nick played on the weekend similar to that he plays at the knights ?
When I started to pay attention to him he looked more like a Birchall styled HBF. He looked nothing like Hugh. If I'm being honest I need more vision before saying top 10. First thoughts is not top ten but many players have not impressed me so anything can happen.

OK – so a preface that I only saw the second half of the WA v Vic Metro game on Sunday. That said, having gone to the game last week, there felt like a bit more continuity in what I saw from the WA boys. Here goes.

Aaron Naughton (Peel) was the stand out tall for me on the day - a day when there were a lot of talls on display. He commands the CHB position brilliantly and is not afraid to attack. His kicking has taken a bit of time to accept as it is non-conventional (mainly his short kicks being an abridged style that you might think it is his non-preferred) but he has a probing long raking kick and his shorter target are pretty effective. At times he looked more the attacking defender like Rance.

Sam Taylor (Swans) at FB was strong again. There were a few turnovers by WA in the midfield meaning there were a couple of goals that got out the back and hit the tall target for Vic Metro which happens and tool some shine off Sam. He looks like a real taker and again showed an appetite for the contest.

Oscar Allen (West Perth) as a KPF was strong up front with 3 goals so backing up from last week was impressive. He was having a decent battle with Noah Balta (Calder Cannons) who is tough and strong and well considered – looks like Noah models his game on the 1970’s Collingwood backline. Anyway both players showed enough to think they will be drafted, just a matter of which round.

Ben Miller (Subiaco) continues may be someone West Coast may look at as a later pick. Standing at 196 cm, he is a KPF that has already developed his ruck craft which enables him to look more elegant but more importantly the knocks he wins usually look to be to advantage. He was up against Sam Hayes (203 cm Eastern Rangers) for much of the second half and more than held his own. Jonathon Frampton (South Freo and younger brother of Port’s Billy Frampton) was OK in the ruck without being great but when Miller was rucking, WA looked cleaner getting the ball and Miller does enough round the ground and up forward.

On Sam Hayes, he was AA in the carnival last year as an bottom-age player and not sure if he is still growing, but I understand the knock on him from Melbourne not knowing whether he is the KPF that can ruck of a ruck that rests up forward. If the later, then his top 10 draft billing will likely slide down to teens and possibly 20’s if recruiters only value him as a ruck. I heard a comment from a Melbourne scout “Waiting for him to take on a game”. Is he suffering from a recent growth spurt and he has not got the coordination quite back? It will be an interesting next 4 months.

Adam Cerra (Eastern Rangers) was the class act in the 2nd half for me. He imposes himself on the contest and makes great football decisions. Good hands, clean kicking, smart decisions and tough in the contest frequently putting his head over the ball and winning it. At 186 cm and 86 kg, he looks ready and I would expect him to be playing AFL in 2018. He is seen as a top 10 and everything I saw supports this view and will be contested beast in the midfield.

If you are looking at speed, you will be interested in Jack Petrucelle (Northern Knights). Played defence and ran out fast and hard bringing the ball out of defence. I would have likes to see him play wing and to see more of his speed, that said he pushed up into the forward line at times that made me take notice. Pretty even with his dual sided skills and he could well be around our pick and will give recruiters a challenge as to whether he will be the next Isaac Smith.

Cameron Rayner (Western Jets) was another really nice midfielder. At 187 cm and 88 kg, he has the size and like Cerra, he looks lock in already. Jack Higgins (Oakleigh Chargers) was lively and kicked a couple of goals which always hold well, I will want to see if he repeats this throughout the carnival. I was disappointed in Stephenson – not that he was bad but did not seem to impose himself in the game like the high billing he is getting in Melbourne.

Christian Ameduri (East Perth) had another good game and contested hard. He is clean by hand and foot and is a midfielder who can genuinely rest forward and be an effective forward. At 187, he is a great height for the bigger midfield desire and feels like a 3rd round prospect.

I am wanting to highlight a late prospect (possibly rookie) that might be a decent risk reward and that is Narrier (Subiaco). He is over-age but with a November birthday so I do not discount him from an age perspective because he is fast and at 187 cm and only 75 kg, it is not due to his bulk. In speed terms, he is damn fast and knows it. I loved the way he took on his man virtually saying you can’t get me and he had a couple of chases in the third quarter that got him to the contest and he managed to impacted the disposal. His pace means he is aggressive in taking on the game and at times tries to do a bit too much and would benefit from slowing down. These are all teachable but the speed of foot is something that is not.

Shorter notes on the other WA mids/smaller. Joyce (East Freo) gets the ball but does not do enough with it for my liking. Hill (Perth) has the skills but it was as if the game was not enabling him to shine but silky enough still. Patmore (Claremont) was more in the game but if Banfield did not get a gig last year, then for me Patmore offers less. England (Claremont) was much better than last week and showed speed. He is attracting some interest from over east so I need to go to a few more Claremont games and watch his disposal. He usually gets a lot of it and was cleaner in Colts so it may have been the step up in time pressure last week that worried me. Ainsworth is strong and gets to the ball but I cringed when he did not make the distance from about 35 m as his kicking style looks horrible. Louis Miller (East Perth) is a bottom ager and looked really good. He is strong in the contest and will take the game on. Reads the play and will probably start as a rebounding HBF and go through the midfield. Being at EP, I expect us to have really good insights into him as he has a load more to offer than our other Scotch/East Perth rookie Gorter.

PLayed most part in defence and was probably beaten overall by Allen. Tough and aggressive - would have been perfect in teh Collingwood era of Picken, Worthington, Magro etc
I like him a lot more in an attacking role, hopefully plays more forward one week. I also agree re. Stephenson and have had questions all season that he hasn't yet answered. Don't rate him as highly as others. Really liking everything I am hearing about Naughton though. Key defenders that can turn defensive wins into quick transition stand out these days and Naughton can give that drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back