Round 20: Melbourne vs Hawthorn - MCG - Rd 20, 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope it turns out to be the watershed win for the Demons that it is being reported as today.

I don't think I'm being unfair in reserving my judgement until after next week. The Port game is the sort of winnable game that 'old' Melbourne would drop after an excellent performance.

A win next week would almost be more significant?
Yeah. This win is huge, but god do we ever actually need to back it up next week and win a game we are expected to.

To my boys the Hawks, pull ya finger out!

We had won 9 in a row. Let be honest, to be a genuine shot at glory a loss was probably needed to kleep things in check/

I'm an optimist, I am going to keep seeing this as the 'loss we needed to have'. The injuries concern me much, much more. If Stratton has torn his pec, thats a season and he has been massive this year

I really hope it turns out to be the watershed win for the Demons that it is being reported as today.

I don't think I'm being unfair in reserving my judgement until after next week. The Port game is the sort of winnable game that 'old' Melbourne would drop after an excellent performance.

A win next week would almost be more significant?

Yeah agreed mate was thinking about meself today that that was a good win, but being able to back it up next year and not drink our own bathwater is the next test
Its funny, our formline looks reasonable again, should have beaten the WC which would have made it 2 top 4 sides in 3 weeks, then again we might not have had the motivation if to beat you if we had
Im assuming we are gonna get a huge pump up in the media as well so this is when we usually fail

Well done Dees. Killed us in the middle all day! Max Gawn is an absolute beast, love watching him play :thumbsu:
Dees have been killing everyone in the middle all season. The wastage into the forward 50 kills us. Vs west coast we had 30 more inside 50s than them and still lost. Will be exciting when it all comes together. The false hope that we've had to deal with for 15 years is different to this. Peter Jackson = legend

Hawks are going to fall in a big hole unless they can trade in some big bodied mids over the next 2 years.

They are so reliant on Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis and have no one coming through to take their place.

Melbourne destined for great things - all the elements are there. What a midfield.
They will end of this season. Guaranteed.

Another good thing about Melbourne winning was that if Hawthorn won we would of had to endure more pages of bullshit on how the umpires cheated and got them over the line. Gee there are some ****silly people in Hawthorn game day threads.

Why are people silly for pointing out the bleeding obvious?

What made Melbourne's win even more meritorious was that they were able to overcome the umpire bias and still win.

I'm actually more pleased for the demons then I am upset for the Hawks.

1st time Melbourne vs Hawthorn this year they put in a strong performance but at times they went the nuckle, I assume it was an attempt to prove to them selves they were tough and good enough to match us. It distracted them in the end and they let a few goals slip.

They have built on the positives from that performance and just played hard tough footy. It's a shame they haven't been able to put those performance together enough, I assume they need the motivation of beating the premiers but next season watch out.
Dees are in a seriously strong position with no glaring weaknesses, have a tough edge you need for finals and are able to work as hard collectively as anyone.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Weirdly (almost) agree. My board is becoming very tiresome with lots of moping about. Melbourne were excellent yesterday. Well done

I'm confused Dr Whoooooooo as to who you support

I thought he was okay - the reality is that it is a young side (game wise) who are tiring and he rued lost chances with poor kicking in the third. He spoke glowingly of Melbourne and their run and goal conversion - don't know what you expect really and why it's Clarkson's responsibility to pump the Dee's tyres. You might want to have a listen to other coaches when they lose and see how much praise they pile on the opposition

Offline I support the Demons - Online I refuse to associate with what Roos would refer to as the "veil of negativity" ... But Bigfooty dont have an unaligned category.

If you have ever worked inside the MFC you would know exactly what I'm talking about ... if you haven't ignorance is bliss ... As a club we have faced many issues.

When Roos was first appointed for 3 years I was disappointed ( I wanted 5 )... but I understand now the 3 year deal was a god send he had the ability to address our real problems and most of they sat at the feet of a toxic few many hiding inside online communities - rarely going to games and actually contributing nothing than an odd membership here and there.

On the whole the MFC have an awesome core of resilient, loyal & positive supporter base - thats who I support.

However, saying that Jackson has been awesome ... everything our positive group asked for we got. Jackson stopped listening to the "toxic" few , refused to work with them removed their voting rights and said I'm going to do it from the inside out ... not let the outside change our course. Jackson is a professional football administrator ... but I never had any problems with anybody in previous administration ... but always admitted I had more in common with Jackson than Cameron ... no vitriol from me to anybody who ever has worked or is currently working for the MFC ... again unlike many online.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see in his press conference Clarkson was gracious in defeat. Not.

Apparently Hawks had a young side..
Fancy that, Clarkson making reference to his own side having youngsters who didn't step up. :drunk:

Plenty of improvement left in the Dees, but for now we'll take the four points and move onto next week.

Hawks fans, thanks for being gracious in defeat. As has been often the case, the soon-to-be-premiers got a much needed kick up the pants leading into the finals... you can thank us later.

Really hope the club can build on this win.

Watching the replay now, and my god the Hawks get a good run from the umpires. Umpiring is even worse than I remembered from yesterday.

Watching the replay now, and my god the Hawks get a good run from the umpires. Umpiring is even worse than I remembered from yesterday.
Its the only reason we win... Oh wait. Enjoy the win your side played well and the umpiring went both ways had absolutely no bearing on the result whatsover

We had won 9 in a row. Let be honest, to be a genuine shot at glory a loss was probably needed to kleep things in check/

I'm an optimist, I am going to keep seeing this as the 'loss we needed to have'. The injuries concern me much, much more. If Stratton has torn his pec, thats a season and he has been massive this year

At this point theres no such thing as a loss we need to have... We are in very real danger of dropping out of the top 4... Guarantee 1 more loss during the home and away and what you consider "the loss we needed to have" quickly turns into an aberration and destroys our hopes of 4 in a row..

This is just beyond ridiculous now, a Melbourne supporter still jumping on the "umps favouring Hawks" bandwagon after beating us for the first time in a decade! enjoy the win you peanut..... that is enough bigfooty for one day....

Last edited:
Plenty of improvement left in the Dees, but for now we'll take the four points and move onto next week.

Hawks fans, thanks for being gracious in defeat. As has been often the case, the soon-to-be-premiers got a much needed kick up the pants leading into the finals... you can thank us later.

Really hope the club can build on this win.
My brother and my Dad are Dees fans so I got a couple of texts but if the Hawks aren't a chance of a flag, then the Demons are my hope in years to come

Its the only reason we win... Oh wait. Enjoy the win your side played well and the umpiring went both ways had absolutely no bearing on the result whatsover
There were some stinking decisions favouring Hawthorn.

But also some bullshit decisions in Melbourne's favour, like absolutely terrible. At least as many. Agree wholeheartedly

I'm a long time conspiracy theorist so I believe Clarkson has targeted Melbourne for the way we carried on after belting the Hawks in 06 and/or ending his career and/or because half his staff are ex Melbourne. He wouldn't let a lot of those players forget Davey rubbing Brown's head in the ground and other trash. So the Hawks have always targeted our soft underbelly and found it.

It was nice to see the Dees fight back in a physical wet game early in the year and that gave them confidence to front up again. Then when Rioli (in my mind legally) cleaned up Oliver it was a changing point in the game because a couple of players got to Rioli after it and most importantly Oliver shook himself off, got back in to the game and then in the 2nd quarter played one of the best quarters you'll see from a young midfielder.

Nothing is guaranteed but this bunch of Melbourne players seem like they won't take a backward step and that's a huge development for the club.

The Hawks run and skill is still amazing and Melbourne deliberately went short and overused the ball to prevent at all costs the counter attack. Didn't always work, as sometimes the close in turn over was just as bad, but we certainly weren't going to just pump it down the line to Gibson and then chase the Hawks out to the far wing all day. Clever coaching (although not a new strategy to beat the Hawks). With a bit more skill the Dees could get the balance right between using it short and in tight and taking the long kick when it's on.

As for the Hawks. I think Clarko loves this spot. Now they have to win the last 3 games and beat 3 good sides. No more stuffing around or second chances. With the bye it's important to have a strong run in and now they can't coast.

Only bright side of today was that I finally got a tip right (Tipped collingwood, Port and Melbourne :)).
Time to finally announce you were wrong about Roos and Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back