Game Day Round 3, 2023 : West Coast Eagles vs Fremantle Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4F8407FA-E1DE-4B9D-9C6B-71D6D1D99A45.jpeg

The fiercest rivalry in WA footy and if you believe the WA based media, the biggest rivalry in the AFL. Plenty of eagles and dockers fans would agree. I used to

But in reality, it isn’t. Beyond the WA border it doesn’t generate much interest, certainly less than the SA showdown. Even after 28 years many over east still can’t even pronounce derby correctly.

And when you try to conjure up truly memorable derbies from the 55 that have been played, there aren’t really that many

EF8E07DC-AA46-4A4B-BAD4-62DA190E114C.jpeg

So why might that be? The fans genuinely don’t get along

One answer might be that there aren’t many close games. Just 5 of the 55 derbies have been decided by less than a goal. Another 9 by less than 3 goals making a total of 14 (25%) than could be considered narrow margins. By comparison 23 of 52 showdowns have a margin less than 3 goal. The H2H record in showdowns is also a lot tighter - Port leading 27-25

Over half (31) have been decided by 5 goals or more. West Coast have an average winning margin of 38 points. For Fremantle it’s a less impressive 28 points.

505AFABB-6027-4B9F-8764-F0ABF9E7D19A.jpeg

But when you look at it closely, the overwhelming answer is that, basically, Freo are s**t

Consider the following, since 1995 :

Premierships : WCE 2, FD 0
Grand Finals : WCE 4, FD 1
Finals : WCE 19, FD 8
Bottom 4 : WCE 5, FD 9

Aside from unadulterated gloating, there’s also a point to the above.

West Coast and Fremantle are more often than not at opposite stages in their build.

Of the 28 completed seasons, the two WA sides have only both made finals 4 times. They’ve both missed finals 5 times.

When the sides have been relatively even the H2H record is 7-11, Fremantle’s way

It’s the other 19 seasons that underlines the reason why the rivalry isn’t what it might be.

When West Coast have made finals whilst Fremantle watch (15 times), the H2H record is 25-4. It’s even more stark in years when we watch Freo in the finals - 0 from 8 in derbies on those 4 occasions

In essence, it’s a myth that ladder position don’t count in derbies. When one side is better, they win and because we’ve mostly been better, we mostly win. Hence our 32-23 lead

Another curiosity is that apart from a stretch from 1999-2007, wins have come in streaks. Fremantle are currently on a 3 game streak after they broke a stretch of 11 Eagles wins. Before that Freo had won 13 of 16 from 2007-15 (when we missed finals 5 times) to get within one game of levelling the H2H - 21-20 was as close as they got

2B578FB1-0E47-4AAD-8FD1-F947DB4B058A.jpeg

So onto this weeks game, which given both sides have had indifferent, some would say poor, starts to the season there’s a chance this one might be close. Certainly it’s hard to pick a winner

West Coast had a narrow 5 point loss to North before turning things around a week later with a 19 point win over the Giants.

Fremantle backed up a disappointing 15 point loss to their old coach with a 1 point loss to North. Games they would have expected to win

What do we need to do to win?

Midfield

We saw the difference winning contested possession, albeit narrowly, made to our overall game against the Giants after getting smacked in that metric by North

The good news is that whilst Freo boast an exciting midfield led by Brayshaw and Serong, they don’t boast the big bodies that so troubled us against North. Nor are they particularly quick so our group should be able to match it with theirs

The bad news is Darcy and a likely fired up No Action Jackson (thanks to Woodcock and The West) are well poised to monster Bailey Williams and probably Jake Waterman as there’s really no other option

Our ruck pairing were able to get away with being undersized against the Giants rucks but won’t be so lucky against Fremantle. Darcy took an admittedly ailing Naitanui apart last derby in a BOG performance and Williams will have to play out of his skin just to maybe break even. Jackson will relish the chance to find a return to form against our second string whether that’s Waterman or someone else

We’ll be conceding the ruck, spout mids will have to rely on sharking Freo’s taps. Something historically they haven’t been good at. It’s important that we break even or get close to doing so if we’re going to be able to kick a winning score

Forwards

As a unit our forwards have worked hard managing 26.26 from 2 games.

Darling and Allen are in the formative part of setting up as the key pillars of out attack. They’ve been solid so far but the rust on Allen still needs some scraping. Waterman provided a great alternative avenue against GWS with 4 goals whilst Ryan, Cripps, SPS and some exciting cameos from Long have been dangerous at times

They come up against a Freo defence that remains one of the competitions best. If they can find 10-12 goals, it’ll likely be enough because…..

Backs

Historically a strength of ours, they’ve been a little indifferent so far, particularly our talls who’ve conceded 6.0 to Larkey and 3.4 to Hogan

Fortunately they’ll be covering a spluttering Freo forwardline that has been unable to fill the gap left by noted powerhouse, Rory Lobb

So far they’ve kicked 7.10 and 10.12 against middling defenders so we should be able to hold them to something similar

As I see it, we should be able to balance supply sufficiently to give our forwards enough chances to outscore a low scoring Fremantle.

The danger is Darcy and Jackson dominating to such an extent that we spend the match defending and trying to set up scores from inside our D50 which, as we saw against North, we aren’t great at

Close, low scoring game

Eagles by 8 points with Kelly BOG

AFL-SquadSelection-Carousel-1080x1350_02.png

Article says we "might" go unchanged, but I'd say there'll be at least one with Hough in for Witho and maybe(?) Hewett for Chesser?

So SPS, Hough, Jones and one of Hewett/Chesser on the bench with the one not selected to be the sub.

Needs to be Jones, Hewett, SPS & Hough on the bench. Clark as sub. Chesser to get a full game in the WAFL.
Chesser has a huge upside, he showed a footy brain knowing where to run and linked up several times. Play the kids - in blocks not one off panic driven stuff. This isnt our premiership year. Its a building year.

If they bring in Harry to part-time ruck I swear ....

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office
If they bring in Harry then I assum Gov will be Ruck/Forward, which would go well. Though I don't know what Waterman would do, as three permanent tall forwards makes us too slow.

Chesser for Hough is the only change I'd make. Or Hewett in for full game for Chesser and Hough to sub.

Hopefully final teams are:

Bench: Hewett, JJ, SPS and Hough
Chesser due for a rest and moved to sub
Witherden, Edwards and Clark to miss.

If the club feel Hewett isn’t ready for a full game and Chesser needs more minutes in the WAFL.
Then Clark/Hewett to sub

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chesser has a huge upside, he showed a footy brain knowing where to run and linked up several times. Play the kids - in blocks not one off panic driven stuff. This isnt our premiership year. Its a building year.

I watched Chesser's highlights package last night - kid can play. Problem is that he has just missed so much footy. It's going to take him awhile to get back up to speed.

I would be quite happy to go in unchanged, although if we are serious about Hewett getting full match fitness it’s unlikely he will be sub 2 weeks in a row.

I think it will likely be:

Out: Chesser, Hewett
In: Hough, Clark (sub)

Hough to slot in at half back and Hunt to the wing, or they rotate.

FWIW I’d be quite happy to carry Chesser through as sub and have Hewett start as well so no changes. But given our Sunday scheduling we don’t have the chance to play our sub through managed minutes. So minutes for mine is the goal with both those boys.

I would be quite happy to go in unchanged, although if we are serious about Hewett getting full match fitness it’s unlikely he will be sub 2 weeks in a row.

I think it will likely be:

Out: Chesser, Hewett
In: Hough, Clark (sub)

Hough to slot in at half back and Hunt to the wing, or they rotate.

FWIW I’d be quite happy to carry Chesser through as sub and have Hewett start as well so no changes. But given our Sunday scheduling we don’t have the chance to play our sub through managed minutes. So minutes for mine is the goal with both those boys.

Agree.
Happy for Chesser and Hewett to swap roles this week.
Would like Hough back in the side at Witho’s expense but can’t see it happening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tough game to call, can't see a team getting belted, should be a close one.
I doubt we'll have a purple patch like the 2nd qtr against GWS?
The kitchen sink will be flying through the air a lot in this game.
Ideally they continue on with all the good stuff from last week, even if it's a loss.
In a perfect world, we break them wide open, destroy their flag chances and crush their achey-breaky hearts?
(not a mean streak in me) (I wonder how those flagmantle tatts are going btw?)
Eagles by 17 points and a bad club song...

Jones being named on the bench is a joke was arguably best on ground last week.
Genuinely is one of our most important players in terms of our ability to become a more modern rebounding team. If he can clean up his decision making and become a reliable distributor, like Saad for example, it will have a huge impact on the side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back