Game Day Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play Ah Chee off half back. Provide a bit more run. Dev Robbo needs to really step up tonight. Berry and Rayner need big games (understatement). I like two rucks for the simple reason big O just can't do it by himself for entire match. Also him resting forward is hard for opposition to match up on. Let's just hope Cam Rayner is smart enough to stay at the fall of the ball and not try to take mark of the year every qtr.

Also let's not allow Daicos boys to rack of up 60 touches between them with no accountability !

I can't stand this mob, so let's get the season started and pump them tonight.

Go Lions.

If Fort starts and we end up with three talls in the forward line, it definitely means Rayner needs to figure out his role. Is he going to be more full time mid (with no Lyons) or he needs to be a much smarter half forward (and not trying to fly for marks).

Charlie needs to wake up and start playing like a classic small forward as well. Front and centre and pressure pressure pressure

If Fort starts and we end up with three talls in the forward line, it definitely means Rayner needs to figure out his role. Is he going to be more full time mid (with no Lyons) or he needs to be a much smarter half forward (and not trying to fly for marks).

Charlie needs to wake up and start playing like a classic small forward as well. Front and centre and pressure pressure pressure
It looks like we're setting up to give Cam more M/F time tonight.

Agree re the small forwards staying down. McCarthy can take a mark when he's one out. Ah Chee is also capable over his head. But overall if we have 3 talls get at the fall of the ball.

I just hope the bookies got the odds right this time.
They were wrong the last 2 games.

On form it is hard to pick either side to win this game.
Hopefully our Gabba record helps us get over the line tonight.

Will Joe stay forward all night with Fort selected.
If so i hope it does not hinder him getting involved in the game.

If we could get a win here tonight over last years Premiers it could give us the confidence to take our game to a new level for the rest of the year.
I am not personally confident, but I hope they are.
I'll be really disappointed if we don't come out really refreshed and win , or at the minimum stay switched on for the 4 quarters and don't give up runs of goals Dalions.

Hopefully Lachie is 100%, Dev is fitter for last week's run.

The guys must know now that no one's going to gift them games this year ,they have to fight for it.

I’m so conflicted.

I really dislike Collingwood, and would really love to WIN.

But I’m also ready to embrace…
tank deal with it GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be really disappointed if we don't come out really refreshed and win , or at the minimum stay switched on for the 4 quarters and don't give up runs of goals Dalions.

The guys must know now that no one's going to gift them games this year ,they have to fight for it.
A 4 quarter effort needs to be minimum standard.
We have a terrible habit of dropping off for 1 quarter and that’s all it takes.
Because when we drop off, WE DROP OFF!

I think the deduction of 2 rucks = no run is a bit of a furphy.

Most run whether it be defensive or attacking is midfield based. So we need the best possible midfield and wings to achieve that.

Lyons out helps that a lot - been a great player but has very little spread in particular these days.

Look at Collingwood’s named midfield - Pendlebury, Mitchell, De Goey. It’s not run that will hurt us there.

Daicos brothers on the wing - wings killed us in the granny so this is where we need to improve the most. You would think berry and fletcher would be very keen to at least not have their opponents go on their merry way again.

We also got worn down by their 2 rucks in the granny, and it will be warn conditions again. Given oscar’s lack of form it was a no brainer to me to give him help

Appreciate this is a forum so many different views which i generally find interesting, but am genuinely surprised ppl think an extra ruck this week is a bad idea!

Hoping for a win and 2 rucks to continue for a while if it works - particularly v dees in 2 weeks

One side not be v interesting if daniher goes back to his old ways without ruck minutes. Maybe he is mature enough to stay focused and kick 6!

Game day......the only day you can only really give into what your gut is saying.....

Any other cynical types on here got that sort of sadistically funny feeling that we're gonna sh*t the bed tonight and our era is officially over? hahaha eep

Lions by 48 x x x

I think the deduction of 2 rucks = no run is a bit of a furphy.
The problem with the 2 rucks was that we ended up with 3 tall forwards (and some others) who applied minimal defensive pressure. So if one of them ran forward offensively without their man following them, a midfielder then had to take over which then left their man free and so on. This was made worse by a few of our mids who were poor defensive runners as well. So often teams would just be able to use that overlap to run the length of the ground and get a simple goal from the square.

This was the same as having Gunston in the team as well - his lack of run caused domino effects the length of the ground.

So its not just the 2 rucks causing the lack of run, its having a bunch of guys who can be lazy and non-fast/agile all playing together can be exposed if they dont work hard

It won’t rain today, but yes we would want to win it in the air. If it hits the deck I think they’ll have too much run for us.

I really hope we don’t line up as named down back, which I assume we probably won’t. I reckon we could find some better kicks on this forum than what we’ve named there. It’s such a crucial position in today’s game too.
I think a functioning defense preventing goals is the more important job of the back 6-7. If they are stopping them scoring and clearing without error I'm pretty happy. Kiddy n McKenna, what they bring, we can't replace or replicate in attack but we can make sure our defense is tight first. Wilmot is creative and a decent kick, Ah Chee a clever ball user with a better than good kick too(it's why we got him), Answerth will run. Lester has his moments. They will take their chances.

I actually like Darcy Fort .

Hope he has a blinder .

Play like it's 2019

I just hope the bookies got the odds right this time.
They were wrong the last 2 games.

On form it is hard to pick either side to win this game.
Hopefully our Gabba record helps us get over the line tonight.

Will Joe stay forward all night with Fort selected.
If so i hope it does not hinder him getting involved in the game.
Collingwood paying $3.10 seems crazy tbh

The problem with the 2 rucks was that we ended up with 3 tall forwards (and some others) who applied minimal defensive pressure. So if one of them ran forward offensively without their man following them, a midfielder then had to take over which then left their man free and so on. This was made worse by a few of our mids who were poor defensive runners as well. So often teams would just be able to use that overlap to run the length of the ground and get a simple goal from the square.

This was the same as having Gunston in the team as well - his lack of run caused domino effects the length of the ground.

So its not just the 2 rucks causing the lack of run, its having a bunch of guys who can be lazy and non-fast/agile all playing together can be exposed if they dont work hard
True re 3 key forwards. I think there will be a fair part of the game though where one of of the 2 rucks or hippy or daniher will be off. I also think the issue with gunston is he had no run at all (honestly fort has more) and he was no threat in the air. Fort is no star but can’t be ignored like gunston was by the end.

I don’t think fort is lazy and should be hungry for his spot. Hippy same. And oscar was getting so stuffed he couldn’t take a mark let alone run much.

Perhaps there is even a psychological message to the group - we are taller so you better run more.

I'm another who is hoping Cam gets a good run at the midfield tonight. Trained for the role and was semi decent round one. No point packing it in after that. Give it a few more weeks, give him minutes, give it a real crack. We need someone other than Neale getting clearances and he seems to be the next most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back