Game Day Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 4 quarter effort needs to be minimum standard.
We have a terrible habit of dropping off for 1 quarter and that’s all it takes.
Because when we drop off, WE DROP OFF!
#TINT

If we have our Traditional In-game Nap Time tonight and lose, it will be indicative of the fact that Fagan has lost the capacity to motivate the players. We need a new coach under those circumstances.

I’m so conflicted.

I really dislike Collingwood, and would really love to WIN.

But I’m also ready to embrace…
tank deal with it GIF

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

I should be geed up to the hilt for this. Decidedly 'meh'. Que será, será.
Am feeling a bit the same, but I am kinda keeping myself on the down and low with a meh, type attitude so I am not disappointed if we play badly.

May I post in your forum?

Good luck tonight, I hope we can at least provide you with a decent contest and no bloody injuries for either side.

I have you and Port for this year's grand Final so probably time to pull the finger out.

No excuses for either side's poor start, it is what it is (definitely a hangover in our case). I will offer an explanation though.

Finals are long now, and Brisbane has (to my mind) the most difficult travel assignment spanning 3 climatic zones. Freo and Perth may be further but at least their conditions are similar to Sydney. Flying to Brissie messes me up more than Perth, at half the time.

We have an ageing list, maybe its our time to fall off? I hope not, I want at least to wreck Carlton or Melbourne's finals tilt this year, and do some damage on our own account.

I don't see you lot falling over and giving up. You're battered like us, some harsh finals last year after an absurdly long seasons (the geniuses at AFL House deciding on an extra round! and again this year! genius!) but everyone knows the quality is there, and the coaching. Youve got the age mix right and the list balance too. Should be top 4, and another hard crack from your side.

All respect and good wishes, your enemy.

Why are we going so tall against a super fit and fast side in what could be wet conditions? Feels like if our talls don't dominate we will get torched.

Suns out today after four straight days of rain. Reckon the ground will actually dry up a decent amount but will still have the typical Gabba dew.

Got to finally take the puppy out only to have her stick to the shade because she doesn’t like the sun. Unbelievable.

May I post in your forum?

Good luck tonight, I hope we can at least provide you with a decent contest and no bloody injuries for either side.

I have you and Port for this year's grand Final so probably time to pull the finger out.

No excuses for either side's poor start, it is what it is (definitely a hangover in our case). I will offer an explanation though.

Finals are long now, and Brisbane has (to my mind) the most difficult travel assignment spanning 3 climatic zones. Freo and Perth may be further but at least their conditions are similar to Sydney. Flying to Brissie messes me up more than Perth, at half the time.

We have an ageing list, maybe its our time to fall off? I hope not, I want at least to wreck Carlton or Melbourne's finals tilt this year, and do some damage on our own account.

I don't see you lot falling over and giving up. You're battered like us, some harsh finals last year after an absurdly long seasons (the geniuses at AFL House deciding on an extra round! and again this year! genius!) but everyone knows the quality is there, and the coaching. Youve got the age mix right and the list balance too. Should be top 4, and another hard crack from your side.

All respect and good wishes, your enemy.

Reported.

I’d be keen for Port to make the granny this year if it meant Ken got a big extension.

Enjoy the game.

Getting fired up for tomorrow's vfl game instead?

All the punters' money going the way of Collingwood. Same thing happened v Freo, we started out hot faves.

Gee just need a win tonight for my sanity, how can the season be cooked in March???

After the constant criticism the Pies have had thrown at them, I'll be staggered (but pleasantly surprised) if we beat them..

Our boys need "an edge" so can only hope with fingers crossed the good Lions come to play tonight.

I just don't know what to expect from them...and that's the sad reality we Lions fans face.

After the constant criticism the Pies have had thrown at them, I'll be staggered (but pleasantly surprised) if we beat them..

Our boys need "an edge" so can only hope with fingers crossed the good Lions come to play tonight.

I just don't know what to expect from them...and that's the sad reality we Lions fans face.
ON the plus side - if we do win i think it could really get the group reinvigorated. exorcise to a small degree the demons from the gf. Beat the reigning premiers desperate for a win. Avoid the unthinkable of 2 gabba losses in a row.

Hoping the crowd is at absolute full throttle - as bad as we were against Carlton i was surprised there wasn't a better atmosphere at the end. Maybe they just assumed we would win because it's so long since we lost there, consider that a wake-up call those that can get there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm another who is hoping Cam gets a good run at the midfield tonight. Trained for the role and was semi decent round one. No point packing it in after that. Give it a few more weeks, give him minutes, give it a real crack. We need someone other than Neale getting clearances and he seems to be the next most likely.
Not sure about the basis for concluding that. Rayner did not have compelling clearance numbers last year. In fact, he was well down the list.
IMG_1063.png

I would be much more inclined to play McCluggage, Bailey and Zorko in the middle than Rayner.

Not sure about the basis for concluding that. Rayner did not have compelling clearance numbers last year. In fact, he was well down the list.
View attachment 1941877

I would be much more inclined to play McCluggage, Bailey and Zorko in the middle than Rayner.
i think he did pretty well on clearances per centre bounce attendance? not sure on the number this year

i think with neale / clugga / dunkley all in there and hopefully fully fit they will get most of the time in there, but i do think we need to refresh the midfield a bit. obviously ashcroft will do that as well but maybe clugga gets a bit more wing time, and bailey / rayner get some opportunity for some really damaging centre clearnances

i think we should move past zorko and put him at half back - i know a few here are in that camp, i think he is so creative there and plays on so quickly, he just gets the opposition off kilter

I don't care much where the hell we play anyone as long as they all come out with intent and keep it up for 4 quarters.

We've got enough good players in the team with plenty of experience that they should be able to go ok whatever role they're given.

Our issue hasn't been who plays where it's been the drop off in intensity across the board for significant periods of the 2 games played so far.

I don't care much where the hell we play anyone as long as they all come out with intent and keep it up for 4 quarters.

We've got enough good players in the team with plenty of experience that they should be able to go ok whatever role they're given.

Our issue hasn't been who plays where it's been the drop off in intensity across the board for significant periods of the 2 games played so far.
#TINT

I can't see us playing four consistent quarters, we are just too mentally soft.

View attachment 1941877

Yeah as others have mentioned he ranks pretty well when he gets a chance in there. We don't seem to want to give him a real crack at it though, but its now or never as he seems as fit as he has ever been.

Same. Feels like the pressure is off now for this season. Couple of ACLs already, injuries popping up like McKenna, Gardiner etc.

2024 may be that year where things don't go perfectly right and we take a dip. If true, I don't mind a steep dip like others were saying and make the best out of a bad season.

Yeah as others have mentioned he ranks pretty well when he gets a chance in there. We don't seem to want to give him a real crack at it though, but its now or never as he seems as fit as he has ever been.
Have to agree , just wonder why we haven't done it.

The issue is it's fine when he has the impact ,when it goes the other way is the problem.

Tonight we might see more of him in there in any case.

Have to agree , just wonder why we haven't done it.

The issue is it's fine when he has the impact ,when it goes the other way is the problem.

Tonight we might see more of him in there in any case.
Yeah Im concerned about his defensive running too. But it was weird he hardly got a look in against freo after the pre-season and then round zero where I thought he was ok.

Yeah Im concerned about his defensive running too. But it was weird he hardly got a look in against freo after the pre-season and then round zero where I thought he was ok.
Opening Round we played Gardiner forward so more time for Cam in the midfield.
Round 1 Gardiner played back so Cam played more time forward.
Tonight we have Fort and Oscar to rotate forward so he might spend a bit more time in the middle, maybe 🤔

The problem with the 2 rucks was that we ended up with 3 tall forwards (and some others) who applied minimal defensive pressure. So if one of them ran forward offensively without their man following them, a midfielder then had to take over which then left their man free and so on. This was made worse by a few of our mids who were poor defensive runners as well. So often teams would just be able to use that overlap to run the length of the ground and get a simple goal from the square.

This was the same as having Gunston in the team as well - his lack of run caused domino effects the length of the ground.

So its not just the 2 rucks causing the lack of run, its having a bunch of guys who can be lazy and non-fast/agile all playing together can be exposed if they dont work hard
Certainly the "why are we going so tall" question (criticism?) has been doing the rounds in the last 24 hours, both here and on social media.

To me, the rationale is pretty clear.

If we are going to move the ball long and slow and boring like in the Freo game, we have no alternative but to play 3 tall forwards. Just to give us targets. Certainly playing Charlie Cameron as our deepest forward isn't working and has rarely worked against top 8 opposition. Ever. Let alone given his current form struggles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly in love with this rationale.

I'd much prefer us to improve our ball movement. Figuring out how to play when we are confronted with a spare man in defence. But that's a whole-of-ground adaptation which will probably take a few weeks to bed down in Coleman's absence. If it's something we decide to work on at all. So in the meantime this is our lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back