Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Every.
Single.
50/50 free kick inside fwd 50 went either to them or not against them down our end.

Need a momentum breaker Collingwood? Here’s a free kick.

Need a free Brisbane? How does play on sound?

That being said, Hipwood was an absolute disgrace. Daniher not much better.
I don’t think there’s a tall combo in the league that strike less fear into the opposition than those 2.

We will never win a premiership again. I will die with a loss to Collingwood by less than a kick as my enduring memory of what a grand final is like.

They made this little boy from Nerang cry. Walking home in shame.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Where do you start?
When a side dials up the pressure we go to water - either by turning it over in a panic, or conversely having no answers to stop them (broken tackles, clearance dominance).

The potent forward setup of years prior is a shadow of itself. It’s going in and coming straight out. Bailey has been horrible this year, Cameron isn’t himself, Hipwood is Hipwood… ok in patches and terrible in others.
Midfield is a mile off it. It’s Neale or bust. We can’t get two Ashcrofts in there quick enough.

Tactically a shambles too. Fort? Really? And it took 2 weeks to put Zorko back?

Berry has had a shocking season - but doesn’t help that he’s played horribly out of position.

And tonight - we just let them leave Howe one out behind the ball. That’s not a Fagan thing - he coached ground level. But someone upstairs needs to be sending that msg out.

I genuinely think this year is a bit of a write off in terms of doing anything. I just hope we don’t suffer too much damage and have a competitive run home.

Good age profile and 2 Ashcrofts leaves us well placed, but I dare say it’s time to find a new winter hobby for me this year.

It really does feel like 2016 all over again. This feeling of going into games expecting to lose, man I'm not ready to be back there again yet.

we won't be winning anything from here - time to start a rebuild - get rid of the dead wood and think about our next coach.
The heat's always on the coach when your play and effort is as spasmodic as ours have been.

Just the same some of our tactics are questionable. If we're following instructions.

I really felt we'd win tonight and just disappointed in how it turned out.

Most of our own doing.

Zac Bailey was worse than Hipwood somehow.

Big guys couldn’t hold a mark when it counted. Little guys couldn’t take a clean possession when it counted.
Missing a month out of pre-season counts.

PS. Pendleberry deserves a week off.

Insides 50
Lions 56 to 43
Free match 56 to 48
Blues match 62 to 49

We get it in there.
Do not look kick long and blind into 50 is the game plan.
Joe will either dive or go for a speccy or Hipwood do the same or straight to a defender
And it head up the other end for a goal
Feel for Charlie.. no one looks

I’m so over Payne and Hipwood. They genuinely contribute nothing. Kill us both ways.

Would rather Joyce be given a month of games over Payne.

Give Lohmann a full game over Hipwood. Or at least bring Morris in. Can’t be any worse.

Our tackling is the worst in the league hands down.

Time for a bit of a rebuild unfortunately.

The heat's always on the coach when your play and effort is as spasmodic as ours have been.

Just the same some of our tactics are questionable. If we're following instructions.

I really felt we'd win tonight and just disappointed in how it turned out.

Most of our own doing.
Agree, our spacing around the field is poor. How many times were there free Collingwood players on the fat side in defence and on the wing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How easy was it to predict that result; been saying for the past fortnight we’d lose tonight.

Fagan has obviously lost the players combined with the fact that the players just don’t give a crap and genuinely believed that it would just happen again having drunk their own bath water this off season.

There has got to be change on many fronts this off season. Out Fagan and the assistants that have been so comfortable for years and bring in someone else with their choice of assistants.

I also think a few entitled players will seek trades elsewhere because it’s all become too difficult and they know they aren’t going to play or win a flag at this club given the window is shut and unlikely to return for a good decade or so.

What a waste has the 2019-23 period been when the whole club just thought the universe would gift them a flag during this period.

What’s the BS excuse this week Fages?

Another thing that's markedly dropped off is our ability to convert inside 50s into goals as well as giving up easy shots when the ball goes down the other end.

Round 0: +13 i50s, +5 shots, -1 goals
Round 1: +8 i50s, -3 shots, -4 goals
Round 2: 13 i50s, -1 shot, -4 goals

Tends to happen when you win the ball back on the wing so often with 18 opposition players in front of you

Back