Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr. Hunnester, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

I was at the pub watching the Bombers on the telly, warming up on the ground during the pre game. They all seemed to be laughing, somewhat abnormally, to each other.

Then at the ground, each Bomber player that came to the bench was giggling or cackling. Even in the first half when they were being beaten.

It was very weird and I have no doubt there is something afoot. Perhaps a mixture of laughing gas, steroids or some other PEDs.

If the AFL is going to turn a blind eye to this then we can only hope WADA come in over the top and catch these laughing, cheating idiots.

Don’t worry; the 4 points aren’t lost just yet

Butler was putrid last week for Sandy, has been average at training and isn't match fit. I don't care if he has the experience, Garcia/Collard (even Arie with some magnets shuffled) had done the preseason work and needed to be backed in.

You've seen so far this year how hard it is for a first year player to impact, not sure we need more of them in the side if we can possibly avoid it. Butler was an obvious selection.

A disappointing but predictable loss, butchering shots at goal, umpires screwing us again and all the injuries and suspensions costing us.

Good teams can overcome that and still win but we aren't a good enough team yet, we still have a lot of work to do but we're getting there.

Drafting more kids that are elite kicks like NWM will help rather than recruiting ball butchers like Bonner from other clubs that delisted them.

Couldn’t watch the game but reading this thread makes me feel ill.

Cant help but feel that we still lack some real leadership in this group? Feels like from reading there were times in this game we needed a leader but nobody stood up?

He really didn't need to do it but Adam Cooney confirmed my opinion of him with his votes on SEN.
3- Martin
2- Merrett
1- BONNER
It shows how much over reliance there is on possessions.

Most of Martin's possessions were in the backing doing kick to kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am so proud of the strides our club is taken toward a new era. new talent, better gameplan and we're in pretty much every game.

Crouch being out made the decision around our midfield fairly simple in the short term...but the question around Steele is still there.

Can he lead us in the way we need him to? When the game closes up, who can we count on?
It's a consistent question, and it hasn't been answered yet.

Bonner was no where near as bad as people are making out.

What cost us the game was butchered shots at goal. Dominated large periods and didn't put it on the scoreboard. Missing so many players doesn't help. Our bottom six were poor.

We were also very young. Guys like Windy and Owens are still figuring out how to be consistent players.

I didn't expect to win the game looking at Essendons age profile and the number of outs we have. It definitely feels like one that got away though.

Next week now must win.

No.

No. Sorry, we lost that. Kicking our way out of it like Saints of old and grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Should have been at least 4 up by half time. Just unforgivable for professional footballers. Higgins and Ross (when the chips were really down) only ones who can hold their heads up in regards to the goal kicking.

You said it. Inexcusable, regardless of injuries and umpires. We played very poorly, got sacked into their game. We were panicky and fumbly, the opposite of last week. A few fellas in that team need to be brought back down to earth. Bonner was a disgrace, he has to get dropped for thst shitshow, but other players were just as poor, or invisible. I didn't see any Saint willing to grab that game by the neck which is desperately disappointing for a team looking to take the next step against a vulnerable opponent.

Basically we just had the game the Magpies had against us last week.

We deserve every bit of criticism we get for that.
Always think in those last minutes when we need our leaders to step up they never do. They are just not capable.
Kind of glad we didn’t get over the line. The players need a be shellacked on the track for that unacceptable exhibition of headless chookery.

Seb Ros did his best to lift us, but everyone else was cooked.

We deserve every bit of criticism we get for that.
Always think in those last minutes when we need our leaders to step up they never do. They are just not capable.
Kind of glad we didn’t get over the line. The players need a be shellacked on the track for that unacceptable exhibition of headless chookery.
This game should also be brought up after any future good wins as a reminder of how things can turn.

Geez, everyone is a bit harsh in here tonight. Given our injury list, I thought it was a 50/50 game going in.

Midfield got smashed, and centre clearances killed us in the second half. Disappointing for Windy not to continue his strong form from last week.

Positives for me
• phillipou showed some excellent signs. His best game for a while (massive brain fade at the end)
• Hastie is a likely type and one we should keep getting games into
• Ross was enormous and nearly helped us snag it at the end.

We lost because we panicked & lacked composure at critical times, not because Bonner made some very poor decisions or we had a young inexperienced side. If a player is picked in the 22 then he/she should be up to the task. Poor goal kicking & bad umpiring didn't help but regardless we should be able to overcome those obstacles.

As I feared at half time those Webster and King suspensions probably cost us a win, with them in the team we probably win that game.

They have a lot to make up for when they return, King needs to kick Plugger style bags and Webster needs to play like a peak Luke Hodge.

I can cop injuries, that's not those players fault but getting suspended when we are short on numbers in unforgiveable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back