Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

King wasn't much consequence, because his replacement, Hammer, was one of the few who can hold his head up.

The Hammer did alright as a fill in but he is a rook while King is like a king on the chess board, he has a lot more power than a lowly rook.

We missed King big time today, so many times our midfielders were looking for that big target up forward in the goal square or on the lead.

If you kick it to King the contest is at least 80/20 in our favour, kick it to Membrey it's 70/30, Sharman it's 60/40 and the Hammer is 50/50.

Seemed a strange sub when Bombers had so much height in defence.
If he wasn't injured I totally agree ... very inappropriate sub. Even before the game I was worried about Essendon's forward lines height advantage.

If we can't beat Essendon regularly- which we can't- we are a pretender, shite team.

It a disappointing loss, but I'm more frustrated with our constantly growing injury list. No team can consistently win with half their senior list not available! Tonight we had Wood, Howard, Henry, Crouch, Dow, Clark and I'll throw Hayes in there as I think he has to play as our relief ruckman. Paton might even play in play over others, then Webster and King out with suspension thats 9 of 18 possible starting players.

Then we played Butler and Sinclair who are still returning to form from INJURY, and a heap of kids, hence the team is severely handicapped. Jones is another who has played bugger all footy in 2 years and we don't really know what we are going to get from Dow, but he can't be any worse at clearance work than our current midfield.

If we lose Marshall to injury we will be royally screwed - it will be time to start looking at this years draft options.

We simply need some continuity of games with our best players playing, otherwise we will continue to be a mediocre side.

Last edited:
Still feeling that result.

Can’t help but think that just ruins our season but that’s my pessimism taking over.

Richmond should be a win but there’s a good 3 or so games after there that we won’t go in as favourites.

Would have been really handy to get the win.

No need for panic just yet, if we lose to Richmond next week then the alarm bells will be ringing.

Back in 1997 we were 0'-4, Alves was on the verge of getting sacked and then we went on a winning streak and won a minor premiership.

Of course we choked in the 1997 Grand Final to lose another actual premiership but my point still remains, never give up on St Kilda.

A lot of overreacting going on here.

I thought our effort was strong and our defence did very well for the most part. Was always going to be hard without max, caminiti will be out marked continually at this level, he did relatively well. Not much coaches can do about poor goal kicking. Was disappointing to be ultimately just edged by them, we should really beat them even with a heavily depleted side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people say Zac Jones had a terrible game, but I thought he was alright, probably a little quiet, but he generally did OK when he got the ball, including a fantastic bit of candy sales in the 2Q. Many players were worse.
Agreed, thought he was a lot better than he has been. Didn't blaze away too much like he normally does.

Really frustrating on a few levels, almost felt inevitable that loss, the way it unfolded.

Tweaks required and it's on we go though, it's not dire yet, knock off Richmond and we're 2-2, lessons do need to be learned however and lineup needs to be shuffled now. Imo Butler was brought back too early and off the pace, would have been better served with a youngster. Bonner clear deficiencies at the level. Would we not try TC as backup ruck? Wilson can be frustrating, King straight back in for Hammer, Sharman needs to stay forward imo. Missing a KPD.

Players I want to see in this team:

(Henry)
Clarke
Garcia
Dow
Arie

I'm not overly impressed with Jones either tbh!

To me our balance is to outside. We lose far too many contests around the ground due to players not body lining ball. I understand we are short on personnel but Bonner and Nas in the backline really impacts our ability to defend.

Sinclair is still rusty. Wilkie could mark a thing which cost a few times. Not convinced Owens is a forward, and the ugliest set shot on earth. Need to trade in a key defender at years end. Butlers poor kick on his right and no kick on the left is as infuriating as ever, particularly when he looks for handballs whilst running onto his left. A number of other passengers today though.

Now I have that off my chest, the positive stuff.

Pou looked to be finding a bit of form. Showed some real power at times. Steele and Ross strong again. Hastie showed a bit in a small sample. Higgins was much better this week than last, last week was too many lucky out the back goals. Loving what Byrnes is doing this year.

Still feel sick after that performance but know that we got pretty unlucky.

Not every week will the umpires discriminate against us, and not every week our players will kick 2.6 from set shots.

King will be a handy addition next week, this match showed how important he is to us if we want to make a run for September. Wood's absence was also missed - he would've prevented a couple of those goals as the defensive winger that were a result of our lack of height.

Think we will bounce back extremely hard against the Tigers and hopefully Ross makes sure we don't see another one of these types of performances for a long time.

Can't wait to watch big Jack Hayes in action tomorrow, and hopefully his return soon. Same for Dow, they will improve our side a whole lot.

A lot of people say Zac Jones had a terrible game, but I thought he was alright, probably a little quiet, but he generally did OK when he got the ball, including a fantastic bit of candy sales in the 2Q. Many players were worse.

He's not back to his best yet but he is a line breaker and a game breaker at his best, hopefully he can finally string some games together.

Less Bonner exiting the defensive 50 and more Sinclair existing the defensive 50 please.
I have no idea what happened with Windy today he just couldn’t get near it.
Really missed the extra grunt Crouch would’ve provided he’s a big loss.
Super impressed with Seb Ross today best game he’s played for a long time.
Keep pumping the games into the kids, sure there will be frustrating times but we will get better.
I would be a much happier person if I could stop watching football but I can’t so here I am disappointed again and living in hope that next week will be a better result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back