Autopsy Round 3 Sydney vs Collingwood frustration thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We've done it before. We have a stack of players to come back. We have a stack of players working to find form. We're at less risk of running out of juice at the pointy end of the season. We've had a chance to develop some more depth. What's not to be optmisitc about ?

Last time we started 0-3 (in 1999) we went on to finish 8th and lost in the first week in the finals.

Oh yuck, I looked at the Hawks board. I wish I hadn't now. I don't think I have the stomach for it. It's like some brutal scene from a particularly brutal road trip horror movie of a zombie apocalypse. Blood, guts, gore and naked fear. I fear Clarko is for a lynching at the hands of the angry mob.

Last time we started 0-3 (in 1999) we went on to finish 8th and lost in the first week in the finals.

Ah 1999. We squeaked into the finals on 11 wins.

How many 10 goal losses did we have that year? 4? 5? Felt like a lot anyways.

I sure hope we're not that bad this year.

The problem is we lost 5 games in 22 last year so of course the sky seems like it is falling in at 0 - 3 or possibly even 0 - 4/5. But we are not the Scum board. YET

Oh yuck, I looked at the Hawks board. I wish I hadn't now. I don't think I have the stomach for it. It's like some brutal scene from a particularly brutal road trip horror movie of a zombie apocalypse. Blood, guts, gore and naked fear. I fear Clarko is for a lynching at the hands of the angry mob.
*popcorn*

Glad you mentioned the pre game... Besides injuries, newbies etc, our terrible start was THE only reason we lost and theres a simple explanation no one else has noted yet.
Pretty sure sitting the team down for 5mins immediately before going out onto the ground for a first gamer / buddy 250th back slapping presentation is quite possibly the best way to destroy a players focus.
As the commentary team noted, that kind of stuff is normally done 30 mins before running out. Its laughable that such an important period before a game takes a literal back seat to hat tipping. Smh

I am feeling a little guilty.
Normally I am a bundle of nerves before each game, but this year, I have been relaxed.

Have I lost the hunger :(

I'd take 8th this year...pretty even across the board. Plus that means we're going to win at least 12 or 13!

Time we look for a new coach

Horse won't win a flag with his current game plan

It hardly changes from yeay to year

Ok ball use is not AFL standard

Foote bye
Yeah send horse our way and we'll give you Nathan, in all seriousness though that is premature calling out horse for the door. You came up against a team that is enjoying success in contested ball and clearances and probably are a little underrated right now. By games end those coal face numbers were pretty much even stevens and your debutantes were enormous and almost got you over the line - testament to Horses obvious engagement with his playing group. Some of the posters have you zip and 5, if I were a betting man I wouldn't be betting on that because we're talking about Sydney

Yeah send horse our way and we'll give you Nathan, in all seriousness though that is premature calling out horse for the door. You came up against a team that is enjoying success in contested ball and clearances and probably are a little underrated right now. By games end those coal face numbers were pretty much even stevens and your debutantes were enormous and almost got you over the line - testament to Horses obvious engagement with his playing group. Some of the posters have you zip and 5, if I were a betting man I wouldn't be betting on that because we're talking about Sydney
Don't worry. He's always calls for Horse's head (maybe it's a Godfather fetish). Ask him how his man-crush on Clarkson is going.

I warned that if you guys got your kicking sorted your mids would beat us. Hats off for finally getting it together. You made us look silly in that first quarter. Now if we can just keep getting closer to a win each game we should at least draw this Thursday.

Don't worry. He's always calls for Horse's head (maybe it's a Godfather fetish). Ask him how his man-crush on Clarkson is going.

I warned that if you guys got your kicking sorted your mids would beat us. Hats off for finally getting it together. You made us look silly in that first quarter. Now if we can just keep getting closer to a win each game we should at least draw this Thursday.
Cheers Bungee, to be honest and I'm not discrediting Collingwood - Sydney's pressure was a little off in that 1st quarter and that had some -some-influence in the record disposal efficiency display. Mind you credit where it's due that 1st quarter is probably the benchmark so far this year given it was on the oppositions deck, precision - through centre traffic mind you - says how even the comp really is. More than a few of the posters on the Sydney are prematurely being on the negative side. There's just too much top end talent on that list to write you guy's - do so at your peril

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take 8th this year...pretty even across the board. Plus that means we're going to win at least 12 or 13!
Cheers Bungee, to be honest and I'm not discrediting Collingwood - Sydney's pressure was a little off in that 1st quarter and that had some -some-influence in the record disposal efficiency display. Mind you credit where it's due that 1st quarter is probably the benchmark so far this year given it was on the oppositions deck, precision - through centre traffic mind you - says how even the comp really is. More than a few of the posters on the Sydney are prematurely being on the negative side. There's just too much top end talent on that list to write you guy's - do so at your peril
It'll be nice to get some players back. 5 newbies is too many plus a lot of senior players injured or out of form. The up side is huge. As good as Collingwood played in that first quarter, even having Papley or Heeney back probably would have tipped the scales. Still, we've uncovered a crop of very good newbies we might have missed had we played the last 2 years with a full complement of seniors. Our two top draftees have already shown they have the talent. A few more years and those guys (with Heeney, Papley etc) will form the core of our next generation team. Our club is in good hands and well set up for the future. Now if you want a real laugh go and have a look at Hawthorn's board. I'm betting they won't win another flag under Clarkson.

It'll be nice to get some players back. 5 newbies is too many plus a lot of senior players injured or out of form. The up side is huge. As good as Collingwood played in that first quarter, even having Papley or Heeney back probably would have tipped the scales. Still, we've uncovered a crop of very good newbies we might have missed had we played the last 2 years with a full complement of seniors. Our two top draftees have already shown they have the talent. A few more years and those guys (with Heeney, Papley etc) will form the core of our next generation team. Our club is in good hands and well set up for the future. Now if you want a real laugh go and have a look at Hawthorn's board. I'm betting they won't win another flag under Clarkson.

Again, like Sydney you'd be brave to write Hawthorn off - yeah you could argue that they won't climb to the top again under Clarko. That said if there are any coaches going around that could win another flag given their coaching ability it's your bloke and Clarko add one Luke Beveridge in that conversation. Sydney's future is set up as you say- even immediately, like I said too much talent to write them off - now and in the future.

Ours? Well that all comes down to how Nathan engages with his coaches and playing group and develops the raw talent. Right now the list is at full availability minus 2, some say the pressure's deflated somewhat. Disagree, more than ever the pressure is on given continuity of the list seems to be finally coming to fruition and he seems to be drawing on the individuals strengths rather than demand a style of play as he has (it seems) in the past. We will know well before seasons end if he can really coach as some say - watch that space my friend!

He's probably happy enough with the lazy 4 flags

Remove this Banner Ad

Back