Game Day Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the presser: Jack Williams coming in for Barnett, Johnston will travel. Gaff and Barnett will play WAFL.

Re Barnett: gave him a taste of it, probably got 10-15 games of experience in 60 minutes. His time will come later when he gets an extended run, don’t like having youngsters coming in and out but thinks it’s a bit different for young rucks.

Re Jilliams: has a bit more forward craft than Barnett/Bailey and will offer a bit more support to Darling. Will also chop out in the ruck, so sounds like Jamo will stay back for the game.

Re Jamo: has only been a key back for about five weeks, thinks he’s grown in the role, they like playing a third tall to help out Barrass and Gov.

Darling, Waterman, Maric and J Williams all playing feels unbalanced to me on a quick running ground like Marvel.

I'd prefer Darling or J Williams, whichever is more willing and capable of supporting Bailey in the ruck. So probably Williams.

Darling, Waterman, Maric and J Williams all playing feels unbalanced to me on a quick running ground like Marvel.

I'd prefer Darling or J Williams, whichever is more willing and capable of supporting Bailey in the ruck. So probably Williams.
Darling’s presence really confuses things in terms of Waterman’s and Maric’s roles in the side

Tbh, on type JIlliams is a better fit than Darling as he can also ruck.

Could be preparing the ground for a Darling soft drop.

Bring in Williams, H/T comes along and Darling has done nothing. Simmo subs him out .

Next week Simmo talks about Williams coming in and looking pretty good, is able to support Billiams in ruck, and Darling needs to find some form in the WAFL.

Guess we are trying to stretch their defence and give Darling a chop out. Shame that Barnett wasn't given a run at it but understood the explanation he's not ready. Maybe Johnston will get a game at some point.

Our forward line vs the Bulldogs last year included Allen, Darling, J Williams and Maric so it’s just Waterman coming in for Allen

Other changes from R23 last year :

Barrass for Rotham
Jamieson for Witherden
Hough for Gaff
Reid for Hewett
Brockman for Petrevski-Seton
Ginbey for Trew
Waterman for Allen

Seven changes overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Brockman will be the sub. What has been overlooked a bit amongst all the talk of the veterans struggling is just how bad Long + Brockman have been. They are picking 4 small forwards yet the forward pressure has been as poor as it has ever been even with Cripps playing well.

If they are going to pick the extra forward Maric a forward should drop out and with Brockman on the bench it probably will be him. Petch could go into the midfield and Edwards could miss out but Edwards is doing a lot of running and with no Gaff someone has to do the work.

Simmo: "Johnstone is not ready for AFL Footy"

Simmo: *selects Johnstone

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have to Stop this Johnstone thing before it gets out of hand.
IT is Johnston. We had to delist Greg Clark or was it Greg Clarke not because he wasn't any good but because half the board couldn't spell his name correctly.

Last edited:
Nicholas Stoned

bee62f03a6935f321bc8ee15239204f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darling’s presence really confuses things in terms of Waterman’s and Maric’s roles in the side

I imagine Darlings role will include

• Getting spoilt
  • Looking undersized in a marking contest
  • Having absolutely no separation on his opponent
  • Finally getting separation but subsequently get double teamed in a marking contest anyway.
  • Potentially a late goal when we're 48 points down.

But what would i know, i'm not obsesed or anything, just a fan.

Our forward line vs the Bulldogs last year included Allen, Darling, J Williams and Maric so it’s just Waterman coming in for Allen

Other changes from R23 last year :

Barrass for Rotham
Jamieson for Witherden
Hough for Gaff
Reid for Hewett
Brockman for Petrevski-Seton
Ginbey for Trew
Waterman for Allen

Seven changes overall

With the exception of the Allen change, we win all others so probably a net + overall.
We should be better.

Would really like to see Jamo taking all the D50 ruck contests and JWill taking the F50 ruck contests. Would allow BWill to set up a kick in front of or behind the play. Would give us a long tall target out of defence rather than these terrible exits from defence where JJ, Hunt, Duggo are trying 20-30m kicks that have to be put on a dime to avoid a turnover when they clearly don’t have the disposal skill to do that. Also would help stop long easy exits from the F50 making the dogs attempt shorter, more difficult kicks.

I imagine Darlings role will include

• Getting spoilt
  • Looking undersized in a marking contest
  • Having absolutely no separation on his opponent
  • Finally getting separation but subsequently get double teamed in a marking contest anyway.
  • Potentially a late goal when we're 48 points down.

But what would i know, i'm not obsesed or anything, just a fan.

One arm up in a marking contest 60m from the opposition goal after we go long and to the right from the kick in.

We have to Stop this Johnstone thing before it gets out of hand.
IT is Johnston. We had to delist Greg Clark or was it Greg Clarke not because he wasn't any good but because half the board couldn't spell his name correctly.

no you're thinking about harvey johnston, the post was clearly referencing john stone

Confirmation that Gaff, Barnett and Johnston (who will be the travelling emergency) have been cut from the squad of 26

Breakdown of ages :

29: (5) - McGovern, Cripps, Darling, Yeo, Kelly
25-28: (6) - Hunt, Barrass, Duggan, Cole, Waterman, Jones
21-24: (6) - Petruccelle, B Williams, Jamieson, Edwards, Brockman, Hough
<20: (6) - Chesser, J Williams, Long, Maric, Ginbey, Reid

Average age of 25yr 0mth according to footywire with only North fielding a younger side. Hawthorn might also be younger but their team for Monday hasn’t been finalised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back