Game Day Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right out of the old Malthouse playbook.

I'm not convinced as Darling looks to have lost all athletic abilities. Also need to have a bit of mongrel and he's as hard as a marshmallow these days.
Not as convinced as some JD’s completely shot. But I’ll admit he needs to lift - a lot.

Our forward line is hardly receiving good delivery plus it’s in transition - further exacerbated by Oscar’s injury.

JD is contracted until the end of 2025 so unless he retires he’s taking a list spot for 40-45 matches. So it might just be worthwhile trying a different position.

Of course the big unknown is his attitude - is he prepared to do whatever for the team? (That might just be mentoring the Beagles.)

My big issue with Darling is that he doesn't halve nearly enough contests anymore.

He's not up against multiple defenders when Allen has been playing. He's simply not competitive enough for long enough given his senior status in the side.

Darling is so cooked but has been so out of form for so long that this could also make him look more cooked than he is too. Blokes had very average looking patches at times throughout his career and then able to get out of it. That said in this team and at that age I can’t see him getting any better tbf

My big issue with Darling is that he doesn't halve nearly enough contests anymore.

He's not up against multiple defenders when Allen has been playing. He's simply not competitive enough for long enough given his senior status in the side.

Jarrad Schofield was interviewed on ABC sports talk this morning

When discussing Darling’s game he said JD was involved in 20 contests - lost 4 and halved the rest meaning he didn’t win any which Schofield acknowledged was an issue as they need him to win some at least

I was surprised he halved that many but that’s what he said came up in review

The other thing about moving Gov forward is that he was one of our best last week. (Starting to look like Gov of old)

I'd play him forward if I had confidence in anyone else to fill the CHB role.

Other option for a forward is Culley who has looked good when played there. FF is a huge ask though. Too much really.

Losing OA and MF has really ****ed us over.

Last edited:
If the vAFL want equality then they need to redefine home games. Any game in your home state should be considered a home game. The Gather Round has already started to muddy the waters in that way.

Agree to rotate Gather Round across the states meaning we are working on 22 games plus a floater.

I will use Collingwood as an example

This year, Collingwood play
Home games 17
MCG 14
Marvel 3

Away games 6
QLD 2
NSW 2
WA 1
SA none v SA teams but a token home game v Hawks

Assessment is 17 games with no travel and 3 more with a flight of just over 1 hour.

Make the Pies play 2 more interstate games for a split of 15 home and 8 away. That means every Victorian team would need to play each 8 interstate teams away from Victoria every season.

Eagles get 2 more games in WA plus both derby legs are called home games for a total games in WA as 14 (1 less than Pies)

With the derby, I would love Optus stadium to have equal fans and have a real atmosphere. I lived in Melbourne for 10 years and it is so much better when it is balanced and not 1 sided

Outcome is to give all interstate teams 2 extra home games and split the home games in Melbourne as both teams having home games.

All interstate clubs to split the local derby/showdown etc to joint home teams (half the members get to go to each game) so for us we would have 14 home games - 10 normal, 2 derbies and 2 extras. That would leave us with 9 interstate games.

Now for the elephant in the room. The AFL need to address the MCC membership seat allocation. The allocation for MCC members is the main reason games that are supposed sell outs only get 85 to 90,000 at the games. Giving less to the MCC means that each Melbourne club get to sell 40,000 games to members each year for 15 games (maybe only 30,000 for Marvel)

Or alternatively, they could * off 5 Vic based teams and re-distribute them elsewhere (NT, TAS, perhaps another in WA & SA each).

Less teams in Victoria, means increased and more equitable travel across the board.

Having more than 50% of teams in a national comp in one state is pure silly business.

Was really disappointed when a reporter asked Simpson about Maric potentially filling in for Allen, and Simpson almost scoffed, claiming that Maric's not a KPI, just a "third tall". I know he's only 19 and has a lot to learn, but I feel like Maric hasn't really put a foot wrong... shown tremendous potential... and worked his guts off (literally). He's 5 cm taller than Darling (and Waterman), and only 1cm less than Allen... so he has the size. Darling has the endurance to play further up the ground, so why not let him play as the third tall and put Maric in the forward line?

Was really disappointed when a reporter asked Simpson about Maric potentially filling in for Allen, and Simpson almost scoffed, claiming that Maric's not a KPI, just a "third tall". I know he's only 19 and has a lot to learn, but I feel like Maric hasn't really put a foot wrong... shown tremendous potential... and worked his guts off (literally). He's 5 cm taller than Darling (and Waterman), and only 1cm less than Allen... so he has the size. Darling has the endurance to play further up the ground, so why not let him play as the third tall and put Maric in the forward line?

Maric doesn’t yet have the strength to play as a genuine KPF and he only just as the height

That’s not to say he can’t make it as a KPF eventually but right now he isn’t ready to go shoulder to shoulder with proper KPDs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrad Schofield was interviewed on ABC sports talk this morning

When discussing Darling’s game he said JD was involved in 20 contests - lost 4 and halved the rest meaning he didn’t win any which Schofield acknowledged was an issue as they need him to win some at least

I was surprised he halved that many but that’s what he said came up in review
Halved probably means they didn’t necessarily mark it, but it probably still resulted in the opposition taking possession one way or another.

Halved probably means they didn’t necessarily mark it, but it probably still resulted in the opposition taking possession one way or another.

Probably

But that then becomes an overall forwards issue not just JD

Maric has got some really good skills and a good footy brain but he just seems to just jog along at times.
When he’s on he looks excellent but he lacks intensity.
Needs to get far mor consistent . Ye old “ harder for longer”.

The noise of affirmation (directed at Optus/WA teams) was just about the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard from the Vic-centric AFL!?
Collingwood anyone?

Off-topic but how was the poor skill levels, decision making and disposal/turnovers last night by both teams - Freo and Crows. I swear at times it was worse than ours! Some comfort there...
I couldn’t believe it either. Appalling footy. Charging forward and bombing when there were loose players left and right.They are not a great side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back