U18 Champs Round 3a - SA vs WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure you spoke of Hugo Mum a few months ago, sounds like he lived up to your positive comments.
Have you got a profile on him?
I really think he could be what Freo are after as a KP.

Hugo Munn is a big strong kid, can play at either end of the ground and do so reasonably well. In terms of key forwards, there is obviously a top tier with the likes of Lukosius, Blakey and the King brothers. But after that, it drops away. Munn is arguably one of those next in line and as such his value could be inflated - a bit like how Coleman-Jones went early last year. But he marks well, presents strongly and doesn't need a lot of touches to impact the scoreboard. Tom McDonald from the Demons is a decent comparison.

For Fremantle specifically, it probably depends on how Hugh Dixon develops in the back half of the year. I'm a big fan of his, so hopefully he can get over his ankle and debut later in the season. I imagine Munn would more be an option if we cleaned house of Apeness and Strnadica.

But there are plenty of other South Australians I'd be keeping an eye on for Fremantle. Ben Jarvis really stood up, he's a good size for a medium forward with a big leap. Bit like another ex Croweater in Jordan Murdoch. The two small African defenders in Martin Frederick and Robert Irra both have something to work with, and would offer some real dash in the back half. And if you want inside ball winners, you could take your pick of a handful. Tom Sparrow had just 12 touches, but 8 of those were clearances.

Hugo Munn is a big strong kid, can play at either end of the ground and do so reasonably well. In terms of key forwards, there is obviously a top tier with the likes of Lukosius, Blakey and the King brothers. But after that, it drops away. Munn is arguably one of those next in line and as such his value could be inflated - a bit like how Coleman-Jones went early last year. But he marks well, presents strongly and doesn't need a lot of touches to impact the scoreboard. Tom McDonald from the Demons is a decent comparison.

For Fremantle specifically, it probably depends on how Hugh Dixon develops in the back half of the year. I'm a big fan of his, so hopefully he can get over his ankle and debut later in the season. I imagine Munn would more be an option if we cleaned house of Apeness and Strnadica.

But there are plenty of other South Australians I'd be keeping an eye on for Fremantle. Ben Jarvis really stood up, he's a good size for a medium forward with a big leap. Bit like another ex Croweater in Jordan Murdoch. The two small African defenders in Martin Frederick and Robert Irra both have something to work with, and would offer some real dash in the back half. And if you want inside ball winners, you could take your pick of a handful. Tom Sparrow had just 12 touches, but 8 of those were clearances.
I liked the look of Frederick.

Going to be interesting to see if Luke Jackson decides to go down the AFL or Basketball route. Haven't seen him play too much of either sport, but sounds like one of the top prospects in both.

I thought the talk was he has picked AFL. He certainly looks like a very good prospect.
Oh really? From what I read on some basketball sites a month ago sounded like it was a bit up in the air still.

He's a gun basketballer (starting PF/C for Australia u17s and one of the top performers at the Asia championship/world cup qualifiers) but for his position is probably a little undersized still to make NBA or top level Europe leagues where the big bucks are. Would need abother growth spurt which is probably unlikely.

I think he's probably better off going with AFL and if it doesn't work out do a Craig Moller and go back to basketball later on.

Last edited:
Player Review...

SA:

Jack Lukosius - Pretty much did what we expected him to do, lead well, marked well and generally kicked well for goal. He was one step ahead of the WA defenders almost all the time, leading to space and right up the ground to the half back line at times. Field kicking was excellent, well balanced and timed. Didn't try too much, just presented all day and played a graceful and solid all round game, especially in the second half where he was particularly good. He was my BOG in the end, excellent game but he can play better!

Luke Valente - My second best and best midfielder on the park. Strong 4 quarter effort, fantastic inside work, put the body on the line and then lots of run and link play with strong forward thrusts. Displayed leadership ordering his troops around, skills were excellent and didn't really put a foot wrong all day, ran to all the right spots to receive and link up, strong game.

Ben Jarvis - This guy really surprised me, but he played a terrific game. He floated all across the ground in that tall and small role, even pinch hitting in the ruck. Bobbed up both forward and back with strong marks and kicked 3 goals in a role that would have been hard to match up on. Played a Tom Lynch (crows) type of game to perfection.

Jackson Hately - My boy, and although it shows he topped the stats in possessions and clearances, he wasn't the best on the ground or even the best midfielder for mine. His first half, he was well held, especially in the first quarter, had 1 or 2 blokes hanging off him and he never seemed to get very free, lots of his disposals were under pressure and ineffective. Fought hard inside though and tackled like a beast. Second half he really came out and found more space and was able to be more effective with his disposals and found a lot of the pill, strong inside work still and good tackling. Still, I know he can play a lot better than that with cleaner disposal than he showed (though his disposal would probably be considered one of his very few weaknesses). All in all pretty solid game but room for improvement.

Jacob Kennerley - Great game, played on a wing or off half back for the entire game and was great at getting involved in most of SA's attacking foreays. Showed tenacity at the footy, good skills and good decision making - a clear football brain. Much more outside than the other midfielders but busted his nut to find the pill and space and be a useful link going forward. Great game.

Hugo Munn - Pretty good game up forward. I did feel he got a number of relatively 'easy' goals from great work up the field but he also positioned himself really well to get free. Marked strongly and kicked accurately, did what he was asked of.

Tom Lewis - Good game, slowish start but came into it well in the second half. Such a bull on the inside, was getting belted from pillar to post but didn't stop him going in for more. Tackled ferociously and played a pretty good game, not the most penetrating kick in the world but great hands.

Jez McLennan - The Interceptor. Cut forward attacks by WA off repeatedly. Really read the flight of the ball well dropped in the hole and took the mark. The quaterback of the side and constantly set up the structure of the SA zone behind the ball. Definite leadership qualities and mostly good skills as well.

Izak Rankine - Inconsistent game, everywhere early then quiet then great again before vanishing later in the game. Did what he does, chased hard, did the freakish, and the sublime without being too damaging. A complete game from him would be something to salivate over as he has more talent in his body than anyone else on the ground. The best sidestep I have seen for a junior footballer and he makes it look so easy. Just want to see more output.

Aaron Nietschke - Good game, ran very hard all over the ground, both out of defence, in the middle and forward of 50. Pretty good skills and complemented the stronger SA mids really well. Good size about him too.

Tom Sparrow - First quarter was superb, second not too bad then vanished after half time basically. Really started well, bursting out of packs and fending off guys with ease and running hard. He's got a big body for a mid and he knows how to use it. 8 clearances from 12 touches speaks of the work he did early, it was excellent. Four quarters and he would have been BOG.

Martin Frederick - Mighty hard to tell him apart from Robert Irra, they are pretty much clones, hair and everything. I think he probably pushed up the ground a bit more and ran a little harder than Robert. Not without his mistakes but liked the flair and run he showed

Robert Irra - Mixed bag, some great rebounds and some poor decisions as well but probably took less risk than Frederick with his disposal choices. Handy half back but not as quick as you'd think.

Mihail Lochowiak - This guy will cause coaches to go bald and grey in no time. He's got the Jasper Pittard's about him in the sense that he will back himself and take anyone on, and a few times it will come off but a fair few it will also end up in disaster and look pretty awful and have Clarko punching holes in walls. But I do like what I see, he's willing to take them on, and has a nice kick, and a big spring, went for a hanger and nearly held it at the southern end. Bit of an enigma, but lots of upside.

Will Gould - Wow what a specimen. Looks like he had Mark Cosgrove for breakfast and could have had Scott Cummings for lunch. HUGE KID, but also quite agile, ran off quite well and had a bit of dash with good acceleration and was very strong overhead. He's got a lot of ability and would love to see the damage he could do up forward. It's hard to believe he's got another year to go, wow! Gunna be a monster that defenders or forwards will struggle with. Played a good game.

Hayden Sampson - Nice game, lots of run and lots of dash, couple of times I thought he was Rankine such was his skill. Hit the ball at speed and finished with class, he did everything with a bit of zip and super clean. Big fan of the lad, keen to see more.

Connor Rozee - Low output again, he's been pretty minimal on his disposal numbrs for a while now and this game was no exception. When he got it, he was generally skilled and looked dangerous, certainly quick but overall was a bit meh for me. Tackled well as he always does but I really would like to see him make more of an offensive impact to be considered up with the guns of this draft because for mine, he's that step below atm.

Tobin Cox - Showed a bit, he's pretty quick and attacked the footy well but otherwise not a huge game.

Jake Tarca - Not bad, again quite a zippy and elusive type and got a nice goal but also went missing for large periods of the game. Probably one of a few in danger of losing his spot next game.

Tyler Martin - Part of a well performed defensive unit, didn't notice him a great deal but rebounded well from time to time.

Oscar Chapman - Classy half forward, kicked a couple of nice goals but was otherwise fairly quiet. Bit of the Mason Redmans about him.

Riley Grundy - Couple of nice marks and spoils in defence and half most of the kicking in duties, thought he beat his man at the end of the day.

James Braidwood - Battled hard in the ruck against a very strong Luke Jackson but I thought whilst he was close in the hitout battle, he was comprehensively pantsed around the ground by Jackson who linked up very well. Jones or Rana to come in next game I'd say.

WA

Luke English
- Terrific game, clearly the best WA midfielder on the ground and the only player who matched the efforts of some of the SA mids, worked hard both ways and covered a stack of ground, looks super fit and strong, tackled like a demon and never stopped trying for 4 quarters. Has neat skills as well, lowers his vision and makes good decisions.

Damon Greaves - Tried hard, rebounded a heap of the SA attacks and was fairly good from half back to half forward. Not the quickest bloke around but a real goer. Skills could do with a cleanup though.

James Sturrock - Good game, one of the better players for WA, worked up and down the ground and used it fairly well. Good tackling game, wrapped a lot of SA lads up.

Regan Spooner - Ok, was good off half back at times and down the wing. Used it well enough and showed some run.

Luke Jackson - Beast of a man, has some tiger in him, good in the hitouts but even more impressive once the ball hits the deck, dives in, fires out a handball, was a real bull. Also worked well around the ground and provided a tall target on numerous occasions. Close to WA's best just behind English. Will be a very good ruckman in another years time that's for sure.

Rylie Morgan - Pretty good but at times was found wanting with disposal. Tried hard all the same and showed leadership from his voice, was pretty noticeable on the field. Was probably one of the main distributers into the forward 50 along with English.

Jason Carter - No doubt we have a talent here, was pretty good early before gradually fading out. Has pace, but glides across the ground as well and has a lovely deft kick on him. Probably the most talented WA player out on the ground.

Graydon Wilson - Not bad, not great, he's got some toe and a bit of agro but could only say he was average by the end.

Ian Hill - Disappointing game from Hill, only a few glimpses of the talent that he is and they were pretty good.

Trent Rivers - Didn't notice him much, but seemed to have gotten a bit of it going by the stats.

Tom Baldwin - Strong defensive game, didn't give an inch but apart from that wasn't that influencial.

Mitchell Georgiades - Got a bit of it and used it well but other than that didn't notice him much

Jordan Clark - This lad caught my eye, thought he has some talent and something to work with, showed smarts and evaded tacklers quite well and finished nicely. Hope he gets some more gametime, played well.

Wil Hickmott - Got a little bit of it but can't say I noticed anything about him

Jeremy Sharp - Talented player, has some good skills and used it well most of the time. Good frame, but fairly slender atm, could be pretty good next year.

Tom O'Donnell - Tough day at the office in defence, prob had a few kicked on him.

Deven Robertson - Little bit of it but largely un-noticed.

Jack Buller - Schooled by Lukosius, but also took a couple of marks on him so not a complete loss. Big lad, and good overhead but perhaps a bit limited by talent.

Dillion O'Reilly - Good game, took a number of contested marks and used his body strength to his advantage. Got a lot of ability, so rate him as one of the better WA talls.

Kyle Hamersley - Can't say I noticed him at all sadly, had a few touches but well below par I'd say.

Louis Miller - Gave his all, took some good marks and pushed right up the ground at times before getting injured. Happened right in front of me and I heard a very loud snap/crack, sounded like a collarbone breaking as he ran off in a lot of pain clutching it. Hopefully it's not that bad.

Xavier Peacock - Big lad, essentially was backup ruck to Jackson and thought he did pretty well in the limited time he had there but otherwise fairly quiet game.

Luke Moore - Couple of goals in the second, in a burst but otherwise a fairly quiet game.

Last edited:
Player Review...

SA:

Jack Lukosius - Pretty much did what we expected him to do, lead well, marked well and generally kicked well for goal. He was one step ahead of the WA defenders almost all the time, leading to space and right up the ground to the half back line at times. Field kicking was excellent, well balanced and timed. Didn't try too much, just presented all day and played a graceful and solid all round game, especially in the second half where he was particularly good. He was my BOG in the end, excellent game but he can play better!

Luke Valente - My second best and best midfielder on the park. Strong 4 quarter effort, fantastic inside work, put the body on the line and then lots of run and link play with strong forward thrusts. Displayed leadership ordering his troops around, skills were excellent and didn't really put a foot wrong all day, ran to all the right spots to receive and link up, strong game.

Ben Jarvis - This guy really surprised me, but he played a terrific game. He floated all across the ground in that tall and small role, even pinch hitting in the ruck. Bobbed up both forward and back with strong marks and kicked 3 goals in a role that would have been hard to match up on. Played a Tom Lynch (crows) type of game to perfection.

Jackson Hately - My boy, and although it shows he topped the stats in possessions and clearances, he wasn't the best on the ground or even the best midfielder for mine. His first half, he was well held, especially in the first quarter, had 1 or 2 blokes hanging off him and he never seemed to get very free, lots of his disposals were under pressure and ineffective. Fought hard inside though and tackled like a beast. Second half he really came out and found more space and was able to be more effective with his disposals and found a lot of the pill, strong inside work still and good tackling. Still, I know he can play a lot better than that with cleaner disposal than he showed (though his disposal would probably be considered one of his very few weaknesses). All in all pretty solid game but room for improvement.

Jacob Kennerley - Great game, played on a wing or off half back for the entire game and was great at getting involved in most of SA's attacking foreays. Showed tenacity at the footy, good skills and good decision making - a clear football brain. Much more outside than the other midfielders but busted his nut to find the pill and space and be a useful link going forward. Great game.

Hugo Munn - Pretty good game up forward. I did feel he got a number of relatively 'easy' goals from great work up the field but he also positioned himself really well to get free. Marked strongly and kicked accurately, did what he was asked of.

Tom Lewis - Good game, slowish start but came into it well in the second half. Such a bull on the inside, was getting belted from pillar to post but didn't stop him going in for more. Tackled ferociously and played a pretty good game, not the most penetrating kick in the world but great hands.

Jez McLennan - The Interceptor. Cut forward attacks by WA off repeatedly. Really read the flight of the ball well dropped in the hole and took the mark. The quaterback of the side and constantly set up the structure of the SA zone behind the ball. Definite leadership qualities and mostly good skills as well.

Izak Rankine - Inconsistent game, everywhere early then quiet then great again before vanishing later in the game. Did what he does, chased hard, did the freakish, and the sublime without being too damaging. A complete game from him would be something to salivate over as he has more talent in his body than anyone else on the ground. The best sidestep I have seen for a junior footballer and he makes it look so easy. Just want to see more output.

Aaron Nietschke - Good game, ran very hard all over the ground, both out of defence, in the middle and forward of 50. Pretty good skills and complemented the stronger SA mids really well. Good size about him too.

Tom Sparrow - First quarter was superb, second not too bad then vanished after half time basically. Really started well, bursting out of packs and fending off guys with ease and running hard. He's got a big body for a mid and he knows how to use it. 8 clearances from 12 touches speaks of the work he did early, it was excellent. Four quarters and he would have been BOG.

Martin Frederick - Mighty hard to tell him apart from Robert Irra, they are pretty much clones, hair and everything. I think he probably pushed up the ground a bit more and ran a little harder than Robert. Not without his mistakes but liked the flair and run he showed

Robert Irra - Mixed bag, some great rebounds and some poor decisions as well but probably took less risk than Frederick with his disposal choices. Handy half back but not as quick as you'd think.

Mihail Lochowiak - This guy will cause coaches to go bald and grey in no time. He's got the Jasper Pittard's about him in the sense that he will back himself and take anyone on, and a few times it will come off but a fair few it will also end up in disaster and look pretty awful and have Clarko punching holes in walls. But I do like what I see, he's willing to take them on, and has a nice kick, and a big spring, went for a hanger and nearly held it at the southern end. Bit of an enigma, but lots of upside.

Will Gould - Wow what a specimen. Looks like he had Mark Cosgrove for breakfast and could have had Scott Cummings for lunch. HUGE KID, but also quite agile, ran off quite well and had a bit of dash with good acceleration and was very strong overhead. He's got a lot of ability and would love to see the damage he could do up forward. It's hard to believe he's got another year to go, wow! Gunna be a monster that defenders or forwards will struggle with. Played a good game.

Hayden Sampson - Nice game, lots of run and lots of dash, couple of times I thought he was Rankine such was his skill. Hit the ball at speed and finished with class, he did everything with a bit of zip and super clean. Big fan of the lad, keen to see more.

Connor Rozee - Low output again, he's been pretty minimal on his disposal numbrs for a while now and this game was no exception. When he got it, he was generally skilled and looked dangerous, certainly quick but overall was a bit meh for me. Tackled well as he always does but I really would like to see him make more of an offensive impact to be considered up with the guns of this draft because for mine, he's that step below atm.

Tobin Cox - Showed a bit, he's pretty quick and attacked the footy well but otherwise not a huge game.

Jake Tarca - Not bad, again quite a zippy and elusive type and got a nice goal but also went missing for large periods of the game. Probably one of a few in danger of losing his spot next game.

Tyler Martin - Part of a well performed defensive unit, didn't notice him a great deal but rebounded well from time to time.

Oscar Chapman - Classy half forward, kicked a couple of nice goals but was otherwise fairly quiet. Bit of the Mason Redmans about him.

Riley Grundy - Couple of nice marks and spoils in defence and half most of the kicking in duties, thought he beat his man at the end of the day.

James Braidwood - Battled hard in the ruck against a very strong Luke Jackson but I thought whilst he was close in the hitout battle, he was comprehensively pantsed around the ground by Jackson who linked up very well. Jones or Rana to come in next game I'd say.

WA

Luke English
- Terrific game, clearly the best WA midfielder on the ground and the only player who matched the efforts of some of the SA mids, worked hard both ways and covered a stack of ground, looks super fit and strong, tackled like a demon and never stopped trying for 4 quarters. Has neat skills as well, lowers his vision and makes good decisions.

Damon Greaves - Tried hard, rebounded a heap of the SA attacks and was fairly good from half back to half forward. Not the quickest bloke around but a real goer. Skills could do with a cleanup though.

James Sturrock - Good game, one of the better players for WA, worked up and down the ground and used it fairly well. Good tackling game, wrapped a lot of SA lads up.

Regan Spooner - Ok, was good off half back at times and down the wing. Used it well enough and showed some run.

Luke Jackson - Beast of a man, has some tiger in him, good in the hitouts but even more impressive once the ball hits the deck, dives in, fires out a handball, was a real bull. Also worked well around the ground and provided a tall target on numerous occasions. Close to WA's best just behind English. Will be a very good ruckman in another years time that's for sure.

Rylie Morgan - Pretty good but at times was found wanting with disposal. Tried hard all the same and showed leadership from his voice, was pretty noticeable on the field. Was probably one of the main distributers into the forward 50 along with English.

Jason Carter - No doubt we have a talent here, was pretty good early before gradually fading out. Has pace, but glides across the ground as well and has a lovely deft kick on him. Probably the most talented WA player out on the ground.

Graydon Wilson - Not bad, not great, he's got some toe and a bit of agro but could only say he was average by the end.

Ian Hill - Disappointing game from Hill, only a few glimpses of the talent that he is and they were pretty good.

Trent Rivers - Didn't notice him much, but seemed to have gotten a bit of it going by the stats.

Tom Baldwin - Strong defensive game, didn't give an inch but apart from that wasn't that influencial.

Mitchell Georgiades - Got a bit of it and used it well but other than that didn't notice him much

Jordan Clark - This lad caught my eye, thought he has some talent and something to work with, showed smarts and evaded tacklers quite well and finished nicely. Hope he gets some more gametime, played well.

Wil Hickmott - Got a little bit of it but can't say I noticed anything about him

Jeremy Sharp - Talented player, has some good skills and used it well most of the time. Good frame, but fairly slender atm, could be pretty good next year.

Tom O'Donnell - Tough day at the office in defence, prob had a few kicked on him.

Deven Robertson - Little bit of it but largely un-noticed.

Jack Buller - Schooled by Lukosius, but also took a couple of marks on him so not a complete loss. Big lad, and good overhead but perhaps a bit limited by talent.

Dillion O'Reilly - Good game, took a number of contested marks and used his body strength to his advantage. Got a lot of ability, so rate him as one of the better WA talls.

Kyle Hamersley - Can't say I noticed him at all sadly, had a few touches but well below par I'd say.

Louis Miller - Gave his all, took some good marks and pushed right up the ground at times before getting injured. Happened right in front of me and I heard a very loud snap/crack, sounded like a collarbone breaking as he ran off in a lot of pain clutching it. Hopefully it's not that bad.

Xavier Peacock - Big lad, essentially was backup ruck to Jackson and thought he did pretty well in the limited time he had there but otherwise fairly quiet game.

Luke Moore - Couple of goals in the second, in a burst but otherwise a fairly quiet game.

When I saw will gould I thought they had let a country amateur loose on the park. At a distance he looks like a bloke looking forward to life after footy and 2 weeks from really letting them self go. Was fully expecting to see him carrying a red tin.

When I saw will gould I thought they had let a country amateur loose on the park. At a distance he looks like a bloke looking forward to life after footy and 2 weeks from really letting them self go. Was fully expecting to see him carrying a red tin.

I thought it was John Fidge out there for a moment

Yeah he was one big unit, and hes an underager.

I thought the talk was he has picked AFL. He certainly looks like a very good prospect.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basket...ng-fiba-under-17-world-cup-form-ng-b88886335z

Luke Jackson’s decision between football and basketball is getting harder by the day.

The 16-year-old has been Australia’s best player at the FIBA under-17 world cup in Argentina, recording three double-doubles from as many games to lead the country into the round of 16.

Jackson has both the AFL Academy and the AIS basketball program asking for a commitment at the end of this year.

Considering Aussie Dante Exum just signed a 3 yr extension for 45 million....pretty easy decision for Jackson on which sport to play financially...though at 197cm is he even tall enough to play elite basketball.....tho at 16 one would think he has a few more cm to grow......amazing how some folk can have so much talent.....whilst most of us weekend warriors get by on a pittance!

Be interesting to see post World Basketball champs he plays out the rest of the WAFL colts season for East Fremantle....could even play league considering East Fremantle current struggles...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Aussie Dante Exum just signed a 3 yr extension for 45 million....pretty easy decision for Jackson on which sport to play financially...though at 197cm is he even tall enough to play elite basketball.....tho at 16 one would think he has a few more cm to grow......amazing how some folk can have so much talent.....whilst most of us weekend warriors get by on a pittance!

Be interesting to see post World Basketball champs he plays out the rest of the WAFL colts season for East Fremantle....could even play league considering East Fremantle current struggles...
You know how tall Dante Exum is right? Or how tall the last 3 NBA MVP's (most valuable player) were right?

You know how tall Dante Exum is right? Or how tall the last 3 NBA MVP's (most valuable player) were right?

James Harden who is the current MVP is 1.96 which is the same height. Russell Westbrook who was last years MVP is 1.90

Not sure what relevance the current mvp has to do with him being considered for the NBA though, theres plenty of guys shorter then him.

Pretty sure Exum is a point guard..... Jackson seems to be playing as a power forward for the Crocs....so two different positions.....Exum is pretty tall for his position, whilst in the NBA the power forward stands around 203-211cm....but hey if Jackson makes it than good on him...Seems to be doing well for the Crocs at present....time will tell I guess

Pretty sure Exum is a point guard..... Jackson seems to be playing as a power forward for the Crocs....so two different positions.....Exum is pretty tall for his position, whilst in the NBA the power forward stands around 203-211cm....but hey if Jackson makes it than good on him...Seems to be doing well for the Crocs at present....time will tell I guess
Well that's different, you didn't specify what position he is playing.

Giving Fremantle have never had a father/son and O'Reilly is 1 game off of qualifying you would hope freo put in a special request. Loved his old man. Such a reluable back man.

Great to hear Jackson has plumped for footy over basketball....looks like the AFL academy will guide him over the next 18 months till his draft year....199cm and only 16 with a Nic Nat type leap thru his basketball....good for all concerned within footy...not so for basketball...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back