Preview Round 4 – GWS Giants vs Port Adelaide, Saturday 15th April, 4.35pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Big last quarter. Have to say Sculls had a great game. As a few predicted, he and Kelly led our outside run and eventually blew up the Port midfield. In the backline, I thought Tommo was great.

Hoping Toby is only fined for his indiscretion. We are going into the derby undermanned as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big last quarter. Have to say Sculls had a great game. As a few predicted, he and Kelly led our outside run and eventually blew up the Port midfield. In the backline, I thought Tommo was great.

Hoping Toby is only fined for his indiscretion. We are going into the derby undermanned as it is.
What did Toby do ?

We need him next week

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just back from the game. Important win, but a real arm wrestle for three quarters. Credit to Port, they really took it to us for that time and we were a little off. Cal Ward had a really quiet game in those quarters, I thought Josh Kelly was a bit down on his normal run, Mummy was well held too, and the backs were poor - missed some handoffs and left players free enough to take marks. A game of inches too - tackles not quite sticking, a few marks not held onto & spilling for Port players to grab etc. We looked like we were ready to take control at times, but then let them back into it. Somehow, in that last quarter, it all seemed to magically click, and the boys looked really slick with their ball movement, short kicks long kicks all found their mark, hard passes found runners, and Toby & General held onto everything coming their way & kicked cleanly. I'll credit the Port players and their gameplan for the first three quarters - they played well and had a plan to quell our midfield - but I think they perhaps relied on too few midfielders whereas we spread the load around a bit better, and our tackling was up this week. On top of that, I'd suggest that Port having to back up from last week's showdown was a contributor to them running out of legs in that last quarter - once we kicked a couple of goals their heads went down, the run & contest drifted off and GWS imposed themselves on the game.

Great to see Jon Patton's power game shine through (and perhaps a bit of a tactical error from Port in their matchup?). Toby was fantastic again, apart from the customary brainsnap. It didn't look like much from what I saw, just a backhander that didn't do any damage, but I guess we'll see. Really impressed with the new Jezza - he really played a lot up the ground today & was very important in linking the ball movement forward on a lot of plays. Tom Scully had a fantastic 100th game, thought he competed really well and was still running in the last quarter to help overrun Port. Shiel was important too, and much cleaner in his disposal of the ball today. Nick Haynes made a couple of errors, but thought he had a great game overall. Nathan Wilson's run and counterattack was really good too with his long kicking.

Always good to see the team prevail in the end. Even though we were a bit down and Port really took it to us, we kept working all day and it paid off. That's what you like to see - the 'never surrender' attitude and believing that eventually the gameplan will prevail. Well done boys - enjoy some choccy Easter eggs tomorrow (but not too many - definitely want to beat the Swans next week!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back