Autopsy Round 4, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not paying much attention to footy at the moment, more important things going on. Didn't even see much of tonight's game.

But the one thing that sticks out to me is that in three weeks we've played the teams who finished last year 1st, 4th, 7th. Two comfortable wins and a poor loss seems to me a pretty good return from that lot.
Take care mate.

I was in your place a few weeks back but happy to say am well and truly back in a place I can care about the footy which makes me really happy.

We’ll be here waiting for you when you’re ready, hopefully tonight gets you a step closer, what a win! 😀

Marshall was better playing on his own today but... I don’t think he’s “the third best ruckman in the league” yet that often gets posted here. Nankervis had his measure today, he still has plenty to work on. Exciting talent though and nice to be consistently competitive in ruck duels throughout a game.

Jones still does my head in even when he’s playing well, think he’s going to be one of those frustrating players that does great things and then sprays kicks undoing something amazing.
Goldstein often gets forgotten but he's probably been better than Gawn and Grundy so far.

Huge game next week which just makes travis aulds fixture utterly ridiculous. There was no reason why we shouldn't have been on free to air for today's game or next week's. Hell even the week before.

Blues are up and about. It'll be a big game for both clubs!

TBH hindsight is a perfect science. No way he could have known we’d be playing attractive footy.
But from now on he should do the right thing. We’ve shown it three games out of four.

How the fans feel! The unit getting cult status...

View attachment 901604
He is one loose mother f#cker! God bless him.
Super response Saints today and this fast transition footy Ratts has got them playing is a treat to watch!
Very proud of the lads today.
The old Saints would never have responded with so much dare!
Huge win for the belief of the group and yeah sure Rich are not at their best.
But what I loved today is that we didnt let them. And I also loved the way we countered every time they challenged us!
Woohoo Go you mighty Saints!
Faith restored in my beloved Red White and Black!

Fortis quo fidelius. Strength through loyalty! :stkilda:

It was a good win but I think we should look at playing Dunstan or Bytel instead of Ross.

Ross is taking us nowhere, he's a VFL standard footballer.

Andrew Thompson is a better midfielder than Ross.

Ross isn’t a great player Never been a favourite of mine but the difference is people who don’t rate him have him going from a top 5 player to outside the 22 which is absolute crap. He is clearly in the 22 and by some margin.
He really is best suited to a run with roll. Play him to his strengths and he's much better!

There was literally a replay in the telecast of Marshall touching the ball before it was marked. Don't try to gaslight people because you said something dumb and got politely corrected.
It doesn’t matter if he touched it. The umpire paid the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I said after the doggies game I would be happy with 2-2. A bit more of a roller coaster then I would have liked to get there, but will take that. Also said after rd.2 that Ratts smashed selection out of the park. Did it again today! Kudos

Carlisle and Butler were huge (Jake 2 weeks in a row now).

Billings and Hill's game appears underrated in here too. Their elite workrate / decision making / ball use was elite.

Clark, Coff & Paton developing very nicely. Amazing what some consistency in role can do. Our howler overlooking Constable aside, that 18 draft is looking like a real winner

Agree with everyone about Membreys great rebound after last week. Personally I really really like the fwd setup of King, Members, Marsh and Battle. Great combination of speed, power and marking. Could really get used to watching that.

Gresh and King a little down, but nothing to worry about there. Both long term investments

Overall, a few things still worrying me a little. But very happy with today, and thoroughly enjoying seeing this team evolve into something actually worth watching!

Last edited:
The skill level of the side has dramatically improved, especially kicking. The goalkicking was great again. 15.3.

Coff and Clark are starting to look like top 10 picks. Long term futures for sure.

King will be a gun. Oh my, look out. Even Roo can see it in him already and he would know.

Exciting times ahead. How good was it to see Roughy at ground level calling the shots too. Oh my.

Never forget when the whips were cracking it was Jake the Snake that came to our rescue.

He's the Batman to Wilkie's Robin, they are the new Saints dynamic duo down back.

3128ceb0866cab8f107719e2c9969935

Gresham is and has been operating well below expectations for someone of his apparent ability for years. He is yet to step out of a glimpse of something to a consistent reliable performer .
trade bait for mine
I'd take a first round pick any other year, this year it would need to be a top 10.
Below expectation for years?? He is only 22 FFS!!

Played 85 games out of a possible 92. Got a rising star, and was picked in the U22 team more than once. Been our leading goalkicker while still a teenager, and was the youngest player picked for State of Origin.

On greatly reduced midfield minutes he averaged more than 20 disposals last year, was top 4 at the club for clearances and contested possessions and top 2 for inside 50s. Went close to matching the output of our VC, with much less opportunity. That while still kicking more goals than anyone excluding Bruce or Membery, and being the leader at the club for goal assists.

As a mid was great until he did his PCL in round 1, after which the team performance went off a cliff. Carried our midfield single handed last week. Yes he was down today, but talk about kicking a bloke at the first sign of a bad game.

As for his output so far, he has kicked more goals than Milney, and has better midfield stats than Lenny did at the same age. Can we give the kid a minute to establish himself in the midfield before we start teeing off at any inconsistency?

Below your expectations? Were you expecting him to have won a brownlow or a B+F by now? In that case you might need to recalibrate your expectations to something closer to reality. Because last time I looked he was just 22 and already probably the most valuable player on our list. That's a bloody good start,

Even if someone offered 2 top 10 picks for Gresh, I would still probably tell them to shove it

Last edited:
Outstanding win. So much to like.

Firstly I thought the move of Ryder to Kent as a late change was really clever. The Tiges would have been preparing for two rucks, Kent actually caused them some problems too and Marshall as sole ruck was able to really work his way into the game and have a big impact.

A few players I loved... Great to see Membrey get back into it today, took some wonderful marks.
I loved Hill's game, had a few eyebrow raising moments early because he takes the game pretty casually, but his driving runs and beautiful kicking were massive for us.
I thought Long had a great game; that moment where he took players on in the backline and got caught, it was not great, but he plays the game in an unsusual fashion, tapping the ball a lot, he is ferocious in his tackling, he just brings something different and he was brilliant today across half back. Gave us a lot of drive.
Steele had a good game. Good to see him in there playing hard, fending off tackles, winning clearances.
Battle made a big difference. He is a great mark and a great kick, both on show today.
Coffield looked confident, mopped up well across half back and used it well. Pretty exciting prospect.
Lonie was really good today. Went in hard, had some crucial contests that he nullified, kicked a couple of goals, just a great game from him.
Butler, hats off to you.
Carlisle. I love this guy. That spoil running back with the flight! He was superb down back today.

There were plenty of others, it was just another great team performance just like the Dogs game. We really looked good today, make no mistake the Tigers wanted that game desperately but we just were not easy to beat and kicked some delightful team goals.

The key now is to back it up. A massive few weeks coming up - Blues at the G, the Cats and Port at home. We have the chance to really set our season up. Can't wait!

Primary Analysis: We won, good team effort, I love you all.

Secondary analysis: 2-touch footy is death eg Coff big offender early, mids need better understanding between them (takes time), Zac was very important early, we need more like him who will tear it apart when the siren sounds. Nankervis very good, Roma found a way to influence the game in 2nd half. Hill works but disposal poor, needs to lift. Long up and down, persist. Butler best buy. JB underrated.

Not too many negatives out of that. Thought Ross was pretty poor but so was Dusty so will take that everyday of the week.
Butler has to be the recruit of the year, would be in the AA side at the moment.
Carlisle was huge, Lynch threatened to be a serious problem but Carlisle played him well.
Clark & Coff continue to build.
Battle just needs to keep playing, he’s too good and too much of a campaigner to not be in our side.
Hill before his ankle was playing his best game for us.
Steele was super solid, good to have a Lenny type player.
Billings was great again.
marsh and Kent (who I don’t rate) played their roles and took their chances.
Marshall beaten in the tuck but still played a good game albeit some s**t frees against.
Loved Longs game, such a tough lil campaigner.
Winx quiet but you can just see it’s all gonna click one day with more experience and god is he gonna be something.

There was literally a replay in the telecast of Marshall touching the ball before it was marked. Don't try to gaslight people because you said something dumb and got politely corrected.

You play to the whistle. You just expect him to play on regardless of the umpire blowing it. ?

Below expectation for years?? He is only 22 FFS!!

Played 85 games out of a possible 92. Got a rising star, and was picked in the U22 team more than once. Been our leading goalkicker while still a teenager, and was the youngest player picked for State of Origin.

On greatly reduced midfield minutes he averaged more than 20 disposals last year, was top 4 at the club for clearances and contested possessions and top 2 for inside 50s. Went close to matching the output of our VC, with much less opportunity. That while still kicking more goals than anyone excluding Bruce or Membery, and being the leader at the club for goal assists.

As a mid was great until he did his PCL in round 1, after which the team performance went off a cliff. Carried our midfield single handed last week. Yes he was down today, but talk about kicking a bloke at the first sign of a bad game.

As for his output so far, he has kicked more goals than Milney, and has better midfield stats than Lenny did at the same age. Can we give the kid a minute to establish himself in the midfield before we start teeing off at any inconsistency?

Below your expectations? Were you expecting him to have won a brownlow or a B+F by now? In that case you might need to recalibrate your expectations to something closer to reality. Because last time I looked he was just 22 and already probably the most valuable player on our list. That's a bloody good start,

Even if someone offered 2 top 10 picks for Gresh, I would still probably tell them to shove it
I watch the football for what I see it to be . I don’t need to rely or look for facts or statistics . From what I have watched he is talented , but goes missing or just has had periods of terrible football smarts . Then he will do something that stands out and all that his forgotten .
I’d trade happily .
just my thoughts And I assume ill
Be punched in the balls for it 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back