Autopsy Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs have WC this week who they will smash so catching their percentage for a week doesn't really matter. The 4 points was all we needed.

And it's all we need next week.
Sure, if we get the four points. But if we don’t, we need percentage. Swing it any way you like, but if we miss on percentage last week played a part, as did insipid performances again North, the Eagles and Hawthorn the last time we played each.

The Max King knocking on here is embarrassing. He’s putting together a very strong season for a player that has been smashed by injury.

Every free kick he got was there, mostly because Balta was just out of his depth and couldn’t compete with him in the air.

A couple were soft and a couple were missed. I thought he was very good. That was a reminder of why you’d be crazy to consider trading him.

Absolutely. He just needs to find a way from being a 9 disposals per game player to a 15 disposals per game player. That's all.

I reckon he has been given stopping roles recently. As long as he’s doing what the boss wants he’ll stay in the side.

Max's game today was one of the poorest 6 goal games I've ever seen. So many cheap frees off him moaning about minimum contact, if I was a Richmond fan that would be enough to make me hate him for the rest of his career. Shameful truthfully.

But hey we won so play on I suppose

EDIT: Fair do's, watching the replay, Max's first few goals were pretty good, and I just remembered the free kicks not the rest.

seriously man. 2nd game after nearly season ending injury and he kicked 6 goals. He was the difference yesterday. He took their best defender and kicked 6 goals.

some here are worse than carlscum supporters.

Max kicks 6 in his second game back from what looked like a season ending injury and still cops it. Jeez we are harsh on our own.
He's going to have an operation at the end of the year so must be training and playing in a certain amount of discomfort.
I'm sure most supporters are appreciative of the effort. He'd have every right to head into surgery and take the rest of the season off.

Max kicks 6 in his second game back from what looked like a season ending injury and still cops it. Jeez we are harsh on our own.
I didn't see Max play for a free kick once.

The two 'soft' ones he got were both due to the defender holding down his arm so he could extend to mark.

Probably not obvious to those who were looking for a clear jumper hold but more effective in stopping someone take a mark.

And just to add... the Hill abuse is beyond a joke. Two blokes behind us (who are generally ok with their other comments) couldn't stop carrying on about how useless he is.

It makes the game that much less enjoyable for all around.

The two 'soft' ones he got were both due to the defender holding down his arm so he could extend to mark.

Probably not obvious to those who were looking for a clear jumper hold but more effective in stopping someone take a mark.

And just to add... the Hill abuse is beyond a joke. Two blokes behind us (who are generally ok with their other comments) couldn't stop carrying on about how useless he is.

Thought Hill had a great game, especially early on when we built the 6 goal lead.

One player who continues to surprise me is Mason Wood, his work rate and effort is so good. Really happy for him as a person as well, taken a decade to get to this point but he’s now integral to our game plan.

Sharman is just a good natural footballer. Clean below his knees, good hands, good kick, good decisions. A very handy player.
Only 28 games into his career... Titanic is going to make some people very embarrassed by the time he gets to 50+ games.

What stands out to me is how much is defensive effort has improved, although he did have one glaring moment yesterday when he let Short run on for a handball receive, that resulted in a goal, when he could easily have covered his run.

Thought Hill had a great game, especially early on when we built the 6 goal lead.

One player who continues to surprise me is Mason Wood, his work rate and effort is so good. Really happy for him as a person as well, taken a decade to get to this point but he’s now integral to our game plan.

Hill was very good yesterday.

The only one I thought was soft was in the second quarter. The holding one as he went back.

There by the letter of the law.

But then there was a number that just gets over looked.

I'm amazed how often they let that go.
Commentators will say " wow , he almost took that one handed".
Umpires should be thinking " why is he trying to take that one handed ".

Only 28 games into his career... Titanic is going to make some people very embarrassed by the time he gets to 50+ games.

What stands out to me is how much is defensive effort has improved, although he did have one glaring moment yesterday when he let Short run on for a handball receive, that resulted in a goal, when he could easily have covered his run.

He's just lucky we don't have a gameplan where he needs to avoid iceburgs.
( Mason Wood may still have a few years left, but i'm starting to wonder if Sharman is the logical successor to that role ).

Sure, if we get the four points. But if we don’t, we need percentage. Swing it any way you like, but if we miss on percentage last week played a part, as did insipid performances again North, the Eagles and Hawthorn the last time we played each.
If we miss due to percentage, it will not be because of yesterday. We didn't take our opportunities against North x2 and WC. But a 6 goal win was more than enough yesterday.

Of the teams who could equal us on points, WB and Adelaide both still play WC on the way home so busting our gut to match their percentage would be pointless. And Essendon/GWS, we are already far enough in front of them that it's unrealistic for them to catch us anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only knock on Max is that too often he looks disinterested or cracks the shits for poor delivery when he hasnt offered anything resembling a target. His work once the ball hits the deck this season has been pretty average to date as well.

Having said that.

He was immense yesterday, he got up the ground a bit, competed in the air, kicked beautifully and had a bit of mongrel about him.

I gave him s**t last week against the blues, i would give him votes this week. I just wanna see him do the same this week and then next and so on.

The only one I thought was soft was in the second quarter. The holding one as he went back.

There by the letter of the law.

But then there was a number that just gets over looked.

Grimes does a lot of those arms around the waste for a second or less to just slow his opponent down a little and help correct his direction if he’s been wrong footed. Gets away with a lot more than he gets pinged for so all good with me to see him cop a free against.

Good to see Phillipou get a bit more midfield time. Went to 38% of centre bounces. Easily the most he's gone to all year. Excited for next year when you'd expect Phillipou and Owens to both be getting significantly more midfield time.
18 centre bounce attendances for Owens and Phillipou between them which is great to see.

We need to be pumping minutes into these two and hopefully Windy at some stage also.

If we miss due to percentage, it will not be because of yesterday. We didn't take our opportunities against North x2 and WC. But a 6 goal win was more than enough yesterday.

Of the teams who could equal us on points, WB and Adelaide both still play WC on the way home so busting our gut to match their percentage would be pointless. And Essendon/GWS, we are already far enough in front of them that it's unrealistic for them to catch us anyway.
Agree with all of that, except that 36 points was enough of a win given our first half. If we always go for the kill it will follow in all matches. I remember people getting upset that others thought the north game was okay because we got the win. It starts there. If you don’t apply foot to the throat standards now, then when? Past failures to take advantage should not be justification for repeating the same mistake.

Anyway, we got the win and are masters of our own destiny. 👍🏾

Good to see Phillipou get a bit more midfield time. Went to 38% of centre bounces. Easily the most he's gone to all year. Excited for next year when you'd expect Phillipou and Owens to both be getting significantly more midfield time.
saw him match up on dusty for most of them

I reckon he has been given stopping roles recently. As long as he’s doing what the boss wants he’ll stay in the side.

I admit I did not think he would make it, just another talent without the drive required. But Lyon as you say appears to have given him stopping roles and he has been good. One thing has always been true of Lyon is he knows how to get the best out of players.

Good game, we looked sharp, hopefully it was our talent not Richmonds lack.

Last edited:
A couple were soft and a couple were missed. I thought he was very good. That was a reminder of why you’d be crazy to consider trading him.
Absolutely .
There is some utter gibberish posted on this forum.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back