Autopsy Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of thoughts

-great bounce back game for the midfield after the 2nd half last week. Rowan was great around the ground, but also hardly lost a contest to a very good and physical ruck Nankervis (and an average ruck in soldo). Seb being back was great, works well as a connector, and has that Clayton Oliver speed where he lopes along, but hardly ever gets run down from behind. I thibk he offers something we havent been able to replace these last couple months.

-forward line in the 1st half was as open as it has been this season, mainly thanks to some slick ball movement, and this lead to lots of advantageous 1 on 1s. We still inexplicably lose the ability to kick when going inside 50 alot of the time, but it meant that Vlastuin didnt absolutely chop us up like last time

-i think we found the right mix of talls, at least for this season. Kingy as spear head, Tim as 2nd banana and coops higher up the ground. I (personally) dont think king played that much better than last week, there was just better ball movement, and he is at this point an opportunist. Tim is seemingly always able to get seperation from his opponenent with his running ability, which means we now have another consistent lead up target besides Higgins. And i can see a future where Cooper becomes like (Adelaide) Tom Lynch, use his height, skill and range to work up the ground to link up as part of a scoring chain. Hes still a long way off of that, but he has the tools

-not much to say about the backline except they are still one of the best in the league. Pleasantly suprised by how well Cordy has meshed

Sure, if we get the four points. But if we don’t, we need percentage. Swing it any way you like, but if we miss on percentage last week played a part, as did insipid performances again North, the Eagles and Hawthorn the last time we played each.

North and Eagles yes, Hawks no. Hawthorn are 6-5 since Round 10 including victories over 4 of the current top 8 in that time. We are 1-1 against them in that same period. If you started the season at the halfway mark, the Hawks would be playing finals. They are a long way from a bottom four side since the middle of the year. Unfortunately we didn't get to play them in the first two months of the season before they came good.

Thought King was lucky to get 6 yesterday but probably earnt 4 and it was his best performance of the year other than the GWS game where he was excellent. His output looks up on 2022 (small sample size). A full season next year and he's a 60-goal forward no doubt. He's never going to be Nick Riewoldt but he doesn't need to be. Can still be a gun in his own right.

9 Jack Sinclair (STK)
8 Rowan Marshall (STK)
4 Sebastian Ross (STK)
3 Jade Gresham (STK)
3 Max King (STK)
2 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

seriously man. 2nd game after nearly season ending injury and he kicked 6 goals. He was the difference yesterday. He took their best defender and kicked 6 goals.

some here are worse than carlscum supporters.
And do we really want him to be wrestling his shoulder into an even worse state? Max can rightly be criticized for not working hard enough at times, and for being too stationary, but we don't want him being stupid at this time of the year with his dodgy shoulder.

Did anyone notice Seb flushing a set shot from 35m out in the first 5 minutes of the game and not making the distance. :huh:

We would have to have more players who cant kick 45m than any other side in the AFL.

Looked further out than 35 meters on TV. Someone should have been on the goal line to bump the Richmond player away from it and let it roll through.

Did anyone notice Seb flushing a set shot from 35m out in the first 5 minutes of the game and not making the distance. :huh:

We would have to have more players who cant kick 45m than any other side in the AFL.

I took that as testing the ol hammie and not having confidence, seemed to not really follow through on the kick so was more a stab in his general action.

Didn't he kick a goal on the run from about 65 last year? how the * did he not make the distance

No. I saw him not make the distance from about 45 metres though.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving the POu's tackling/physicial intensity the last few games. Seems to have really stepped up.

The only issue, entirely related to him being 18 years old, is he's usually only good for the first half at the moment. He'll be tearing games apart in 2-3 years.

Yep. Ross has about 4 possessions in the first 5 minutes. Nine particularly good. I think I commented love that once he stopped getting the ball we looked much better! This shot you recall was once such possession!

Luckily he improved later…

The thing about Cordy's game was that he was not just good defensively, he was good offensively too. His disposals were good both in execution, and in where he put the ball to. Which is an aspect where Dougal often lets his game down.
Come on. Surely there is a spot for Cordy to turn himself inside out doing a line dance and kick the ball out on the full. The game seems somehow empty without it…

Watching the game live on Sunday from the top level of Marvel was a really eye opening experience and I would say its probably the best structure we have presented all year.

The chaining of possessions was really impressive, sometimes up to 10 movements without disruption. The ball movement was different to what I have seen for a long time. Reminded me of the early days of the first Lyon era.

There are still issues there, but i will say it was a complete pleasure to watch the Saints on Sunday.

Looking forward to the next few weeks.

Watching the game live on Sunday from the top level of Marvel was a really eye opening experience and I would say its probably the best structure we have presented all year.

The chaining of possessions was really impressive, sometimes up to 10 movements without disruption. The ball movement was different to what I have seen for a long time. Reminded me of the early days of the first Lyon era.

There are still issues there, but i will say it was a complete pleasure to watch the Saints on Sunday.

Looking forward to the next few weeks.
since the Hawks game it looks like the penny has dropped and we are starting to move the ball better by going forward more ANE quicker, but still inconsistent and not keeping the foot down once we get that side of our game going.

But none the less it looks like the boys are developing in that area slowly.

Max's game today was one of the poorest 6 goal games I've ever seen. So many cheap frees off him moaning about minimum contact, if I was a Richmond fan that would be enough to make me hate him for the rest of his career. Shameful truthfully.

But hey we won so play on I suppose

EDIT: Fair do's, watching the replay, Max's first few goals were pretty good, and I just remembered the free kicks not the rest.
Does anyone think he may be under instructions to not risk his shoulder in tackles etc, save it for marks and goals?

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back