Preview Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 13th August, 3:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Tigers

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seb and Gresham in ahead of Clark and Billings does my head in

JB hasn't been given any sort of a run at it from Lyon. He played ok when he brought him in then he drops him straight away and continues to play Gresham who can't hit the side of a barn. It's a joke.

JB aint very good

so should we be thinking outside the convex octagon and start selecting players much, much lower in the draft?

have we been looking at the draft order all wrong?

We should just get our draft picks right. Mitch Lewis (pick 76) was the last pick in his draft and he's better than Max King. Tim Membrey was the last pick in his draft. Johnno O'Rourke was pick 2 in that draft....he played 21 games over 2 clubs. Jimmy Toumpas was pick 4 that year.

Paddy McCartin was a fat diabetic undersized tall forward with an inaccurate set shot. Collingwood in that same draft took Jordan DeGoey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard. We took Paddy, Hugh Goddard, Dmac and Lonie. Melbourne Petracca, Brayshaw, Neale-Bullen and Oscar Mc Donald.

We should just get our draft picks right. Mitch Lewis (pick 76) was the last pick in his draft and he's better than Max King. Tim Membrey was the last pick in his draft. Johnno O'Rourke was pick 2 in that draft....he played 21 games over 2 clubs. Jimmy Toumpas was pick 4 that year.

Paddy McCartin was a fat diabetic undersized tall forward with an inaccurate set shot. Collingwood in that same draft took Jordan DeGoey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard. We took Paddy, Hugh Goddard, Dmac and Lonie. Melbourne Petracca, Brayshaw, Neale-Bullen and Oscar Mc Donald.

I think you are onto something there Gringoss. I'm going to call Ross and let him know he has to go low to go high in the draft. Hopefully no one has seen this and we are the only club that has cracked the code.

Shows you how s**t our recruitment has been

Also our development, Billings, Clark and Coffield all have talent which is why they were drafted in the Top 10 but we haven't got the best out of them.

That has been partly due to injuries but also due to other reasons like our coaching and culture, at better clubs they would probably be better players.

I wouldn't be writing any of them off yet but they all need to have big preseasons and hit the ground running next year to cement spots in our best 22.

I’ve delved a little deeper into Clark.

He is clearly no where near fit enough aerobically for AFL footy.

Last month of footy

GC - 36% game time (wasn’t even sub or subbed)

North - 60% game time and 1 last qtr disposal from (70% tog)

Hawks - 67% game time

Carlton - 67% game time and 1 last qtr disposal from (77% tog)

There’s clearly a reason for this.
Geez 36% in a game. That's like the tog back in the days where you pretty much just kept your best players on the ground as long as possible.

HC would be fit enough to run out a game, I think we just can't keep him on that long because he is too much of a liability defensively. If we're killing it in the midfield and contested he can probably play longer because he doesn't need to chase much

Saw a little bit of training today.

There was some voice out there but I thought a bit less than I’ve heard before - looked a bit flat at times.

Max Heath marked on the boundary line and then proceeded to kick into the man on the mark. BJ not impressed - “that’s what we have been working on!” For all those pushing for Heath - definitely still a far bit of development required.

As always our best users are NAS, Sincs & Wilkie. To be fair they do try and use these guys whenever possible. Owens moved nicely in the match sim.

Coff, Hayes & (? Brain fade - Hotton I think) ran laps and gentle kick to kick only.

DMac wandered past on the way to the pool.

Also our development, Billings, Clark and Coffield all have talent which is why they were drafted in the Top 10 but we haven't got the best out of them.

That has been partly due to injuries but also due to other reasons like our coaching and culture, at better clubs they would probably be better players.

I wouldn't be writing any of them off yet but they all need to have big preseasons and hit the ground running next year to cement spots in our best 22.

Clark is starting to look like his endurance and speed are going to hold him back not sure what else we could have done. Billings looks mentally fragile so at a top club running around free he probably would have been like one of those Hawks types of clean kicking runners. We gave him PTSD and now he starts shivering when ever he sees a goal post. Coff has been unlucky with injury but also wasn't outstanding enough to be given unlimited chances. Bont didn't go to a top club, he was just so good he took the rest along with him.

Clark is starting to look like his endurance and speed are going to hold him back not sure what else we could have done. Billings looks mentally fragile so at a top club running around free he probably would have been like one of those Hawks types of clean kicking runners. We gave him PTSD and now he starts shivering when ever he sees a goal post. Coff has been unlucky with injury but also wasn't outstanding enough to be given unlimited chances. Bont didn't go to a top club, he was just so good he took the rest along with him.
Is poor endurance a result of poor work ethic or do some players just lack that in their physical makeup? If it's a work ethic thing then Clark can go elsewhere for a fresh start but until he changes his attitude he's going nowhere as a player.

Is poor endurance a result of poor work ethic or do some players just lack that in their physical makeup? If it's a work ethic thing then Clark can go elsewhere for a fresh start but until he changes his attitude he's going nowhere as a player.

Both I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some players obviously aren’t as genetically blessed with great endurance, but it’s something that, with hard work can definitely be improved. The fact his hasn’t improved at all in 6 years and his body definition also hasn’t changed (as well as reports from inside the club) he clearly lacks work ethic

Correct on Billings. Screwed his development and stuffed his confidence. I’m blaming the fraud Richardson. There is absolutely no evidence that Billings doesn’t work hard.

Some players obviously aren’t as genetically blessed with great endurance, but it’s something that, with hard work can definitely be improved. The fact his hasn’t improved at all in 6 years and his body definition also hasn’t changed (as well as reports from inside the club) he clearly lacks work ethic
No one can doubt his courage when he is out there but yes it does seem he doesn’t want to do the real hard work to be the best he can be and he has had 3 different coaches (so it looks like none of them could make him do extras).

Suspect he might be surplus to requirements under RTB.

Last edited:
No one can doubt his courage when he is out there but yes it does seem he doesn’t want to do the real hard work to be the best he can be and he has had 3 different coaches (so it looks like no one of them could make him do extras).

Needs to take a leaf out of Windy and Owens’ book. They sure as s**t are gonna get the best out of themselves.

No one can doubt his courage when he is out there but yes it does seem he doesn’t want to do the real hard work to be the best he can be and he has had 3 different coaches (so it looks like no one of them could make him do extras).

Clark is very skilled with the ball, but when he loses it, his recovery is very slow and that is the issue.

Man has an unparalleled ability to trick people into thinking otherwise and I count myself in that.

We should have shipped him off 3 years ago so he could trick a list manager into the same and give us a first-round pick.

He's a real Aaron Fiora. Has all the talent to be anything but for some reason all the pieces never align together. To me he's the type that if Lyon could work his magic might become everything we'd ever hoped for but if he's into coasting through Lyon won't even slow to push him out the door.

You might well be right but I have had too many "he's a preseason away' moments in this bloke's career to allow myself to think that.

For the sake of my sanity, he's washed.
Hard to get a read on him under RTB as he has had a shocking injury run.

Having said that, you could understand for his own sake that a fresh start might be the best option.

Correct on Billings. Screwed his development and stuffed his confidence. I’m blaming the fraud Richardson. There is absolutely no evidence that Billings doesn’t work hard.
Probably the wrong thread for this, but there is a whole generation of players drafted or recruited in a 3-4 year window that were completely Richo'd.

Think Billings, Dunstan, Weller, Acres, DMac, White, Ross, Newnes etc

All had strengths and talent. All were turned into the exactly the same vanilla, B/C grade plodders playing safe, boring, effort-based football.

To me, they are a collective of bland players that had no clear position or role. All character and instinct completely coached out of them

They just turned up and rolled out the same 10-20 disposal, zero impact games week after week after week

Last edited:

Petracca as well who is similar to Bont, two A grade bull midfielders that helped turn their struggling clubs around and we missed out on both of them.

Instead we got Billings who has been a massive disappointment and McCartin who may as well have been a rookie pick for all the good he did for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back