Preview Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 13th August, 3:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Tigers

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly. Mitch Lewis has been developed. And they were patient. after 4 flags in 6 years they had that luxury.

Our bigger issue is the development of players
Absolutely. This is THE biggest issue at our club and has been since Thomo left.

Last edited:
Still discussing Bont Petracca Billings and McCartin

Unreal
It'll take more than a sprinkling of gimmies from our academy to make us forgive and forget our draft crimes.

Until we get it right for long enough to construct an actual team and have enough success to forget the ChoRatts era, until Petracca and Bontempeli have retired and the pain of watching them win for their clubs is gone, until the footy gods stop kicking our legs from under us, until we stop *ng up the few chances we get, you can expect us to harp on about the 2 biggest St Kilda failures of this century.

That's because in 13 years our list build still hasn't got to a point that those mistakes are irrelevant. Probably done more list repair under Toce than the previous 10 years. It's like living in a caravan park and remembering that time your husband gambled away your house. We'll stop whinging when we are back in to something like what we deserve.
Ah, yes exactly. Should have scrolled a bit further and saved myself some typing.

Yes I heard that at the time too.

Having non football people having the main say in football matters in firstly Bains, and then Lethlean is a key reason why our drafting/trading was so poor for a decade.

I don't agree. I don't believe that either of them were instrumental in the talent that was targetted.
The AFL boys club, with people like Elsaug, is more of a problem.

I don't agree. I don't believe that either of them were instrumental in the talent that was targetted.
The AFL boys club, with people like Elsaug, is more of a problem.

Well we will have to disagree.

Personally when you are influential on list strategy, I would tend to think that you have to have been instrumental in the overall talent that we secured.

Bains and Lethlean both were active in steering the strategy of list management at St Kilda.

Ameet Bains: one of the AFL's unsung heroes works his magic at St Kilda

Bains was charged with overhauling the Saints’ list management when he arrived in 2011 and there are signs his aggressive trading strategy could soon pay off

Bains was part of a strategic review, alongside Chris Pelchen, which identified a need to rebuild the list along the lines of the successful Port Adelaide and Hawthorn blueprints. As Bains notes, “unless something dramatic happened, we were going to go into the wilderness for a period of time… Whilst the draft and other measures over time can help square things up, we needed to take a more proactive approach to transforming the list.”

And when he was promoted in 2014 he still remained involved and again it was indicated that he ha been overseeing recruitin.:

A former lawyer, Bains joined St Kilda ahead of the 2011 season and has played a major part in restructuring the club’s total player payment model and overseeing its recruiting.

Last edited:
Bains and Lethlean both were active in steering the strategy of list management at St Kilda.

Bains was charged with overhauling the Saints’ list management when he arrived in 2011 and there are signs his aggressive trading strategy could soon pay off

Bains was part of a strategic review, alongside Chris Pelchen, which identified a need to rebuild the list along the lines of the successful Port Adelaide and Hawthorn blueprints. As Bains notes, “unless something dramatic happened, we were going to go into the wilderness for a period of time… Whilst the draft and other measures over time can help square things up, we needed to take a more proactive approach to transforming the list.”

Ameet did the deals, he didn't choose who we were targetting.
Similarly , Pelchan provided a strategy, pick the right players and the strategy works.

Unlike many on here, I think Pelchen’s plan was actually correct, build through the draft, unfortunately, we had 3 major Obstacles which render the plan useless 1. We had a an incompetent recruiter Tony Elshaugh 2. We had poor coaches.. picking Richo was a big mistake in my mind. 3. draft concessions given to GWS and GCS, if we had 1 and 2 right, maybe we would have been more successful during the past 10 years, but who knows.

Unlike many on here, I think Pelchen’s plan was actually correct, build through the draft,

There was also the "Big Fish" part of the plan which was not to chase Free Agents initially but to do it later after securing more young talent.

unfortunately, we had 2 major problems which render the plan useless 1. We had a an incompetent recruiter Tony Elshaugh 2. We had poor coaches.. picking Richo was a big mistake in my mind.

Well while 1 and 2 are true, Bain could and and should have given Trout the heave ho.

The plan also had the major flaw to assume that gun players would go to a lowly club for larger contracts, when they in main all wanted to go to a club already playing finals. So the much touted strategy that we would later get "Big Fish" when we needed them failed.

Also note that Bain was at the Saints prior to Pelchen, and that Bain was in the management team that brought Pelchen in. Pelchen was Bain's man brought in as part of Bain's brief to overhaul list management. Overhaul it he did, but badly as time has shown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back